Colds?

Addie GriderAddie Grider KutztownMember Posts: 521
edited 31 October, 2005 in Cat Health
What should you do if your cat has a cold? Like what medicines should you give them? Especially outdoor barn cats...

Comments

• edited 27 February, 2006
    Do not give them ANY over the counter medicine. You should NEVER give a cat medication unless you are doing so under the guidance of a veterinarian who has examined the cat. Colds are caused by viruses. Viruses are not killed by antibiotics, so these are useless and simply create resistant bacteria that can cause problems down the road. In most cases, cats will need to do what people with colds need to do--take it easy and allow it to run its course.
  • Addie GriderAddie Grider KutztownMember Posts: 521
    edited 27 February, 2006
    okay, caus emy mom's friend has a whole lot of cats, and one of the cats there is hers, but it lives there cause Timmy doesn't like other cats, and because it was born there. She is only a kitten, and her cold is very bad and with winter coming...and all....
    Even barn kittens deserve proper medical care--too many medications that are ok for people to take can kill cats. Our livers handle some drugs very differently than a human (or even canine) liver. This means that some drugs people take all the time can only be given in tiny doses or with long dosing intervals, or not at all! If this kitten is very sick, you should have your mom catch her and have her seen. If you have horses or other livestock, and have their vet over, often they are willing to see the barn cats too, so is also a possibility.
    edited 27 February, 2006
    well, Danaiya is very nice and she has no problem being caught...As for the vet, they have a farm, but they have cows...
  • Jennifer CrossanJennifer Crossan Scottsdale/PhoenixMember Posts: 291
    edited 27 February, 2006
    When Tinker (our rainbow bridge cat) had a sever cold one winter in Scotland the vet told us to give her children's cold medicine -never again! We got like a drop in her and she went nuts! Every time she saw us she hissed at us for 3-4 days. It was a nightmare. Then when our gerbil got a severe cold we were told to give him yogurt and orange juice -it worked for him.
    If you need your vet to come out to see the cows, then ask if he will see the cat too. Many times vets that work on farm animals are also willing to see the farm dogs or cats, but ask when you make the call, don't surprise him once he is on the farm! Giving the gerbil OJ and yogurt probably worked more to provide calories and fluids while he was fighting off the virus giving him the cold. Cats are unlikely to care for the taste of OJ (though I have known a few who liked citrus, these are the exception and not the rule) The bottom line here is really, you need to know what the cat actually has before ANYONE is going to be able to make any sort of sensible treatment recommendation. It sounds as if you are worried about this kitten. If you are this worried, isn't she worth getting an educated opinion on instead of a bunch of guesses from well meaning strangers who don't have the benefit of actually seeing her?
    edited 27 February, 2006
    hehe, i am gonna get my friend to email me her pics cause i got in trouble last time i was there and i can't sleep over there for a while, so she'll send me the pics and then i'll put her up. She is soo cute! I miss her so much when we talk about cats at school...but if you want to know what she looks like, look at twinkie and think of her with a little more black and a kitten. the vet doesn't come to the house, they order things off the internet, they talk to the vet on the phone and order online. The cows eventually get sent to the butcher shops, so it doesn't matter if the vet comes for them or not