Veggy Eating Cat

Carissa DuttonCarissa Dutton New Westminster / Burnaby / VaMember Posts: 122
edited 16 November, 2005 in Food & Nutrition
(Human speaking here) My cat loves steamed vegetables. To me, this is the weirdest thing ever .... since cats are supposed to be true carnivores and not require plant matter. But everytime I make steamed veggies, without fail Dotty is there to swipe some veggies off my plate. She loves asparagus, if i wave that steamed stalk about it she tries to bite it in midair or catch it with her paw and then eat it. She likes both the tips and the stalk. Steamed broccoli and cauliflower also pass the Dotty test. I can give her little treettes and she nearly snaps them from my fingers in eagerness. Steamed carrots are also a favourite with her. Is my cat weird or are there other cats out there who also like veggies?

Comments

• Karen LeeKaren Lee The kingdom of Mer-lotMember Posts: 89,020
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Meows, this is not really a veggie but I enjoy munching on kitty grass. Plain steamed or boiled or even fresh veggies are ok in small amounts as treats only. Felines are carnivores but sometimes we enjoy a little bit of greens.
  • Alison MacDonaldAlison MacDonald SomervilleMember Posts: 343
    edited 27 February, 2006
    i LOVE veggies.... especially lettuce for some reason. my mom thinks this is very strange .
  • Alison MacDonaldAlison MacDonald SomervilleMember Posts: 343
    edited 27 February, 2006
    oops double post!
  • Karlee UrbanoskiKarlee Urbanoski CalgaryMember Posts: 85
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I love Olives! They are like cat nip to me!
  • Jennifer McMillionJennifer McMillion BeckleyMember Posts: 230
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Lettuce is my favorite too!!! Just one more reason I'm really a bunny.
  • jenniecarra andriesjenniecarra andries baton rougeMember Posts: 676
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I LOVE greenbeans. I prefer them raw but if I am really craving them I will eat the ones that come in a can that have been cooked.
  • Sue KaufmannSue Kaufmann CranfordMember Posts: 1,465
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I eat carrot, too -- mixed in with my turkey. I love it! The human tried to feed me broccoli once (all cut up very small), but I wouldn't go anywhere near it!
  • jennifer viscontijennifer visconti queensMember Posts: 2,157
    edited 27 February, 2006
    whenever i can work my way into the fridge i eat celery! munchy goodness! i make mommy laugh the way i sit there on the shelf munching away! i like the coldness too...brrrr.
  • jennifer viscontijennifer visconti queensMember Posts: 2,157
    edited 27 February, 2006
    give me fruit any day of the week! i looovvveee yogurt! i will fight to the death for the cover so i can lick it to my hearts content, i also like when mommy feeds me from the spoon. OH! i almost forgot baby food! have you guys tried it? it's soooo gooood!
  • Beastie_and_the_BoysBeastie_and_the_Boys Marquette, MI / ChicagoMember Posts: 17,806 ✭✭✭
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I eat houseplants. Yummy! :-D
  • rachel brownrachel brown weatherfordMember Posts: 1,299
    edited 27 February, 2006
    i know its not a veggie...or even a fruit, heck it's not even Natural! but i Love to lick plastic! it makes fun noises and it feel Great on my tounge.
  • Kimberly KjellbergKimberly Kjellberg NyköpingMember Posts: 15
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I love broccoli and corn, I steal it as soon I get a chance, green beans are yummy too!
  • Regine MelinRegine Melin BrooklynMember Posts: 281
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I also like broccoli. I love when mommy gets her spaghetti with broccoli, garlic & oil. She saves me some of the garlic flavored broccoli....yummmy!
  • Tammy SchreinerTammy Schreiner FresnoMember Posts: 322
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I eat cilantro and bananas. It's awesome!
  • edited 27 February, 2006
    Hi I love corn and carrots!!!!Yummy yummy
    I love olives too they are soooooooo yummy. mom laughs everytime i have an olive cause i flip out just like i do with catnip. in fact my cat mom, reeses and uncle peanut love olives too
  • Carissa DuttonCarissa Dutton New Westminster / Burnaby / VaMember Posts: 122
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Add baked squash to the list of veggies I like. I accidentally bit Daddy's thumb when he offered me some of his - it was so good. Mommy gave me some of hers too. It was acorn squash btw. Mouf didn't like it at first though. She tried a bit.
  • tiff anytiff any Member Posts: 260
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I ate some of mommy's sweet potatos! I've also tried some of her other veggies... mmm!
  • Hope ShepherdHope Shepherd Wyoming, FeltonMember Posts: 84
    edited 27 February, 2006
    (human Speaking) Hello my cat tempest one night opened the fridge and got into some left over corn. I woke up early cause at the same time my other cat Snickers was in heat and just carrying on. And sure enough I round the corner and there was the door open and a big happy Tempest sitting there on the second shelf eating what was left of a full bowl of yellow corn. I was upset due to the fact that was supposed to be for corn bread that next afternoon i was to make. But i just shooshed her out of there and disinfected the fridge of course. Question is corn ok for cats? I never knew veggies were alright for cats.. She is ok nothing wrong just fat as always.
  • Toffy_VanessaToffy_Vanessa Member Posts: 4,074 ✭✭
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I\'m not really into veggies or fruits. Mom has tried to feed some to me occasionally, just to see if I would like them, but I usually try a tiny bit and then walk away from my bowl, which is a very surprising thing for me to do. I sometimes get fed the Innova Lite canned food and I always leave some of the potato bits in the bowl, making a big mess. Last night I was fed Innova regular canned food, which doesn\'t have the potato bits, and I ate everything and licked my food bowl clean.
  • Kelly PorteousKelly Porteous CalgaryMember Posts: 10
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Nyah~ I don't like them at all, but my cat-friend Tuffy just loves green beans, canteloupe and all sorts of things.
    I know it's not a veggie but I like apples!