Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

Car Training Your Kitties

Amanda HoslerAmanda Hosler advanceMember Posts: 6
edited 22 March, 2012 in Cats & Travel
My mommy is car training me. It's kind of scary. I have to stay on my leash, but at least I don't have to be in the awful cat-carrier! We don't drive far, and I get to sit on Mommy's lap and stick my face out the open window. It's fun, but also scary. I never know if we're going to the vet's or some place fun. If you want to be car trained too, my mommy can give your mommy or daddy tips through me.

Comments

• Sadie MorrisSadie Morris SurreyMember Posts: 8
    edited 27 February, 2006
    sure! i need to be trained too. my momma and her parents are moving in a few months, and i have to go ing the car *shivers* i hate the car!! And you'r right, I never know WHERE were going, but if my familys moving i have to me car trained, any tips for me?
  • Beastie_and_the_BoysBeastie_and_the_Boys Marquette, MI / ChicagoMember Posts: 17,807 ✭✭✭
    edited 27 February, 2006
    We moved the first time when my brother Arthur and I were about 1 1/2 years old. It was a 7 hour drive to our new house. Our mommy didn't think there was enough room in the kitty carrier for both of us so she put ME in the carrier and let Arthur roam inside the car. Well, Arthur is such a wussy-**** that he spent the first hour or so freaking out--runing around howling, panting, drooling, standing up in our mommy's lap and trying to drive the car himself, then flopping over with his eyes rolled back in his head like he was dying. Finally mommy popped open the carrier door and pushed him in with me. I started washing Arthur's face and his ears, and before long he had calmed right down. We snuggled together the rest of the way to our new place. Now, whenever we go anywhere in the car, Arthur and I both squeeze into the carrier. So what if it's a 'cozy' fit? We are much happier when we're together. :)
  • Sadie MorrisSadie Morris SurreyMember Posts: 8
    edited 27 February, 2006
    But Beatrice, weren't you scared going in the carrier!? 80)
  • Amanda HoslerAmanda Hosler advanceMember Posts: 6
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Well, the first thing to know is that a kitty new to cars should NEVER be allowed to roam around the car! It's dangerous for several reasons. First, a kitty stomping on the gas pedal is baaaaad...and second, if there's a wreck, loose cat = out the window! Always stay on your leash. Make sure the collar is too tight to squeeze out of, though not so tight as to be choking. Make sure there's newspaper on all the seats and floor space to minimize accident-clean-up. If you have a favorite snuggly toy, blanket or pillow, make sure your mommy or daddy takes it with you. It's nice to have familiar things around. When Mommy or Daddy are first training you, they should take you for short drives to safe places, like a friend's house, a local pet-friendly park, or just an empty parking lot. Let your mommy or daddy show you around wherever they take you on your leash, to get you used to it. As you get used to short car trips, make them longer and longer.
  • Amanda HoslerAmanda Hosler advanceMember Posts: 6
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Uhh...there's more to car training than what I've told you so far...but if no one else posts, I won't know who else needs to know how much more...well, if anyone wants to know something, you can "purr me a message" here on Catster!
  • Diana MertensDiana Mertens Warner RobinsMember Posts: 5,435 ✭✭
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Hey, kitties, see my responses to Solo's and Pokey's posts...lots of info on my experiences there.
  • Heather BrautmanHeather Brautman RaleighMember Posts: 16
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Yes, Buddy, please keep the car tips coming. I am heading on a trip to Nashville (not to see Elvis though) in December, and my cat-mom can use all the help she can get.
  • Jon PaynterJon Paynter San JoseMember Posts: 24
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Tips from a somewhat well travelled cat: -- Get used to spending time in the carrier first. Getting well aquainted with what a familliar world looks like from inside this carrier will ease up on the stress factor. -- Take short trips first. Arount the block - to the store and back. Then mabye across town. -- If mom and/or dad have to stop for lunch, on a long trip insist they bring a litter pan along. -- DONT try let mom and/or dad sneak you into a hotel at nite. We deserve to have our presence declared and properly recognized!
  • Heather BrautmanHeather Brautman RaleighMember Posts: 16
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Hi Cedric, so what's a "long" trip? I will be going for about 8 hours, probably a little longer since my cat-mom has to go to the bathroom like every five minutes. I have read from some of the other smart Catsters on here that they don't have to pee (or won't) until they're safe and sound at their destination. Like, even if their cat parents put out a litter box at a rest stop, they won't go. How will my mom know to do that for me? Also, I agree- we are going to Nashville and have heard that there are a lot of pet friendly hotels there! (plus now we can look for them on Catster too). My cat uncle is having surgery and the place he's hospicing at is pet friendly so we are probably staying there. One place wanted to charge $25 extra a day for me- THAT is ridiculous. Maybe if they were serving me tuna sirloin, right? It's not like they'd even change my litter or water, either. It's just a rip off!
  • MARY HEFFERNANMARY HEFFERNAN Valley of The MoonMember Posts: 13,688
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Have your people used the Johnny Cat Travel-Throwaway litter boxes for trips? They are an okay size and the litter is in this flattish box that expands all ready to use and then the people can throw it away. We had ours on the floor of the back seat. The cat mother has small bags of dried food or treats, small water dish, thingy of water, lots of paper towels and big garbage baggies.
  • Ashley MeagherAshley Meagher DurhamMember Posts: 14
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Hey guys! I just traveled in the car from Utah to California. It was about 13 hours and I did great (this year)! This is the third time I've made the trip. My guardian has some tips: 1) Kitties generally will not use the litter box in the car. Although I have when times get desperate. I usually hold it until we're done with the trip. 2) If your cat hyperventilates when first getting in the car, make sure you bring paper towels...so you can catch any throw-up. You can sometimes tell if your kitty is going to throw-up if she starts licking her lips and smacking. 3) I calm down considerably if I can just curl up in my guardian's lap and sleep the whole trip. Although she forces me into my carrier if there's traffic, or we're in a city. 4) Kitties are generally too stressed out to eat while the car is moving, but generally this is ok. My guardian always gives me wet food when we arrive...which is yummy! I still hate being in the car, but I tolerate it much better than I used to.
  • Brooke FrazierBrooke Frazier San DiegoMember Posts: 3
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Hi everyone, These are good tips so far, but my mom needs some advice on moving. We're moving to San Diego in August, which is an 8 hour drive. I've been in the car tons of times, but it's only to the vet or somewhere else, so I usually cry a lot. My mom refuses to take me out of the cat carrier while we're driving because she's afraid that I'll freak out and try to jump out the window. She's probably right. Besides, I like being in my carrier, I feel safer. Anyway, Mommy wants to know what to do about water and going to the bathroom. Should she put a litter box in the car to let me use at rest stops? Is it okay if she offers me water every few hours when we stop, or do I need a little bowl in my carrier? That might just scare me even more because it might spill over, but Mommy's scared that I'll get thirsty while we're driving. I'll probably be too scared to go to the bathroom or eat or drink anything until we get to our new house, but my mom just wants some advice on how to transport me safely and make it less traumatizing. I'm sure that I'll survive if I'm too scared to eat, drink, or go to the bathroom for 8 hours, but my mom is worried and just wants to make sure that I will be okay. Thanks!
  • Jon PaynterJon Paynter San JoseMember Posts: 24
    edited 27 February, 2006
    litterbox in the car... get a large plastic organizer bin from your local store. Put the litterbox inside this and set it in the car. when you hit a rest stop. take kitty out of the carrier and put him directly in the litterbox. so if kitty wants to use the litterbox or just scratch for the heck of it, no litter gets sprayed around the car and everyone is happier. a long trip is one that requires several stops. To the vet and back doesnt count. Cedric's first long trip -- without other feline company -- was 8 hours. The next long trip after that was 3 days. Because he was familliar with his carrier and familliar with my car, things went pretty well.
  • Spark SparkSpark Spark Member Posts: 19
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Mrrow... I've only been in the car once or twice. One of those times, mummy let me out of my carrier. She regretted it when I hid under the car seat for the entire ride and refused to come out afterwards. ;) So remember, stick to the carrier.
  • Sally WrightSally Wright DenverMember Posts: 130 ✭✭
    edited 27 February, 2006
    My mom's taken me with her on her long trips this year. I've been to CA, and UT, (and through Oregon, Nevado, and Idaho!) and lived in hotel rooms the whole time. I let her know for the first hour or so that I'm not happy, but she lets me out of the carrier and I sleep behind the front seat. I've even gotten used to using the litterbox in the car, so I just head over there when I feel the need. It's not my favorite thing to do, but it beats going to live with a catsitter, or having the catsitter come visit me, since I don't get enough attention. I'd rather be with mom if I can!
  • Matt MonroeMatt Monroe RaleighMember Posts: 2
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I started riding in the truck when my dad picked me up to move in. I have my own bed in the back seat and once I jump up in to the truck I get the leash taken off and have the whole back seat for myself. Sometimes I'll ride on the back of the back seat so I can look out. The only rule that my Dad makes me follow is I am not allowed in the front seat when the truck is on.
  • Lindsay PoveromoLindsay Poveromo Winter SpringsMember Posts: 350
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I loved to car travel!
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I've been on several 3 hour trips in the car from my mommy and daddy's place to my grandparents house. At first I was really scared. My dad would drive and my mom would hold me and show me it was all okay every few minutes and then put me back into my crate. Eventually, I got to like it.
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I HATE THE CAR! Ick, I shudder to think about the word 'car.'
  • edited 27 February, 2006
    I\'ve lived in more places than most humans. I went from Vermont to Connecticut in a car and from Connecticut to Wyoming in a plane and from Wyoming to Kentucky in a U-haul (in the cab, with my people, of course). Now we are getting ready to move from Kentucky to Oregon in a car. Mom\'s a little nervous, but I think we\'ll be okay. I\'m a good traveller.
  • Elizabeth ClarkeElizabeth Clarke BerkeleyMember Posts: 1,818 ✭✭
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I used to hate car trips, but now I don't mind them at all. It turned out that the main problem was my carrier. I used to have this stupid old carrier that I couldn't see out of; it just had airholes. Not being able to orient myself while the car was in motion made me REALLY carsick. Mom says that some people have the same problem. It was so embarrassing. Eventually, though, Mom noticed that if I could just stick my head out of the carrier and look out the window, I didn't get sick. She got me a great carrier with mesh sides, so I can see all around me. Now I never get carsick! I still don't love being in the carrier, but I just can't resist the cool stuff on the floor of the driver's side and for some reason Mom has a problem with that, so we compromise.
  • Jinny PotterJinny Potter AthensMember Posts: 3
    edited 27 February, 2006
    My Mom and Dad need advice too! They try to take me on short drives on a regular basis (grab a hamburger through the drive thru, pick up Dad from work, etc.) and keep me on my harness and leash up front. But anytime we\'re in the car for longer than 30 minutes, I throw up. They\'ve tried to not feed me beforehand, and do their best to calm me with lots of petting, which I enjoy because I purr louder than the car! I guess I\'m just motion sick maybe? Any tips on cutting down on me getting sick in the car. My parents are concerned about my health if they ever need to transport me for a longer distance. Thanks in advance!
  • Tabitha Smith-ElliottTabitha Smith-Elliott Gainesville/Hall County, GAMember Posts: 11,582
    edited 27 February, 2006
    ATTENTION! We interrupt this thread for an important announcement! Brought to you by Felix. Through me. Meow there, fellow Catsters... We -- my buddy Jacques and myself -- are trying to help out our friend Sweetie. Sweetie is a delightfully charming cat who loves to play matchmaker...only she hasn't yet found a match for herself. So, to help Sweetie find the cat of her dreams, Jacques and I are hosting the first ever "Cat-lorette." If you're up for the challenge of winning Sweetie's heart, be one of the first 25 cats to sign up in the "Sweetie" thread under Catster crushes. All "rules" will be explained there. There, you'll also have the chance to meet Sweetie, and get a sense of what she's looking for in a crush. Good luck to all, and look forward to meeting you in Sweetie's thread! Meow, Felix
  • Sharyn EirichSharyn Eirich Member Posts: 1
    edited 19 March, 2012
    @Bruce Lee: Actually, cats can't get car sick. It's not physically possible with them. When kitties throw up in the car it's usually because of stress and anxiety.
  • janice lancasterjanice lancaster temple gaMember Posts: 2,505
    edited 19 March, 2012
    Don't make them go too long w/o food. I get sick if I get NO food, but also if I'm fed right before I go somewhere. If I eat 3-4 hours before leaving, no problem.
  • Elizabeth KElizabeth K ChicagoMember Posts: 11,036
    edited 22 March, 2012
    Harlequin gets carsick in the car if she's riding in any type of enclosed carrier, so I started letting her sit in the dog booster seat I had for my previous dog... When she's sitting there she doesn't throw up, and I can buckle her up there for safety. Right now I use a regular harness but I am trying to find a dog seatbelt harness that will fit her so she is safer if there is an accident. They don't seem to make kitty seatbelts so we're trying to find ones for really small dogs. :-k I don't let my cats be loose in the car or loose on a leash because it is dangerous if there is a sudden stop or an accident.