Anyone else have a cat thats a li'l overwheight?

Sadie MorrisSadie Morris SurreyMember Posts: 8
edited 5 July, 2006 in Food & Nutrition
hey, my cats name is codey , me? u can call me T* (with the star). and is anyone else's cat overweight?

Comments

• Nancy HornbergerNancy Hornberger Commerce Twp.Member Posts: 3,723
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Overweight, I am so-o-o fat! I don't eat that much, I am just lazy in my old age. Mom has tried Lite food, and to get me moving, but she swears I gain a pound a day.That's why they call me Chubbs. Not a very flattering name for a pr3incess!
  • Diana MertensDiana Mertens Warner RobinsMember Posts: 5,435 ✭✭
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Yes, according to my mommy, daddy and vet, I am as well (see my page, there's a long diary entry). But I'm losing some of it! Mommy changed my diet, and I'm doing great - I'm eating regular, not diet, canned food!
  • Beastie_and_the_BoysBeastie_and_the_Boys Marquette, MI / ChicagoMember Posts: 17,806 ✭✭✭
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I have always been a full-figured beauty! ;-) My brother, Arthur, is skinny although he and I eat the same food. Our mommy was always nervous about trying to put me on a diet because to do that she'd have to put us both on a diet, and Arthur doesn't need to lose any weight! She did eventually try putting us on a reduced-calorie food, and after almost a year our weights hadn't changed at all. LOL! I have always been pretty healthy aside from my weight, and mommy plays with us a lot to keep us active. Other than that, I think she has finally given up on changing my weight and just accepted that she is 'stuck' with a big, black, over-stuffed teddy-cat. All the better for hugging. :-)
  • Amanda HoslerAmanda Hosler advanceMember Posts: 6
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Teehee...imagine I'd post here...on Codey's topic! How funny...anyway... Yo...everyone who sees me says "WOW! What a fat cat!" So chances are good that there's a possibility of my being ever-so-slightly overweight. ^^;; But Mommy likes me being chubby. She says it makes me more cuddly and huggable. And the vet says I'm not in the danger zone, so neither me nor Mommy see any reason for me to loose weight.
  • Krissandra ShickKrissandra Shick PhiladelphiaMember Posts: 9
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Well, yes, my mommy and vet say that I am overweight too. At first, I didn't think that it was that bad because the vet said that I was only 3.5 pounds over my target weight...but then she said that it actually is like being 35 human pounds overweight!!! My belly was almost touching the floor, but in 7 months, I think that I have lost a whole pound! I guess my new brother, Sorbet, should get some of the credit because now I have someone to run around with. Plus, my mommy cannot leave the food for me to graze because Sorbet will eat it all in one sitting...what a little piggy boy! I will be happy if I lose another pound, but my mommy says to me all the time that I am the most beautiful cat in the world and that she loves me no matter whatand just wants me to be happy and healthy!
  • Madame MMadame M Member Posts: 4
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Dearest me! It does seem that the Evil Pet Doctor had determined my lovely Rubenesque profile to be subpar, and Mommy and Daddy are currently feeding me some horrid mush by the good Doctor Hill. I have not snubbed it as of yet, but I definitely plan to do so. Alas, it tastes quite good.
  • Amanda HoslerAmanda Hosler advanceMember Posts: 6
    edited 27 February, 2006
    o.O If it tastes good, why snub it? My allergy food isn't very good, but I eat it...so why snub food that is actually GOOD?
  • Elizabeth KElizabeth K ChicagoMember Posts: 11,036
    edited 27 February, 2006
    YES! My mom keeps telling me I'm overweight! I weigh 16 lbs and I'm a female kitty... My mom always says "ow" when I climb on her lap she says I am too heavy but I think I am fine! She says I am on a diet and she gives me less food and a food called Wellness Lite but I am sneaky and I steal licks from people bowls after the people are done eating heh heh...
  • Tara ScarlettTara Scarlett RaynhamMember Posts: 196
    edited 27 February, 2006
    My Mommy only says I'm too heavy when I stand on her chest at night. But no, I'm not too chunky... yet. If you look at my Mommy and Daddy, I'll prolly end up chunky. My human parents like to eat, and like to treat. Hopefully there will be bologna along the way.
  • Aubree CieplikAubree Cieplik SpanawayMember Posts: 32
    edited 27 February, 2006
    My cats each have their own food, I leave them out all day but amazingly each of them eat their own cat food, Jewel is 14.2 lbs and I am trying to get her to lose weight, she is teased alot by her flabby tummy that touches the floor and swings from side to side when she walks..but it keeps her toes warm when she sits down!
  • Jennifer WebbJennifer Webb AlpharettaMember Posts: 1
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I've been heavy since my people got my little sister, Jamie. I used to be petite!
  • Denise MDenise M Member Posts: 10
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Yes Im Fat... The doctor says 6 pounds over weight... Its very hard to get the weight off at my age. I will start my diet again on Monday... LOL!!
  • Marty MillerMarty Miller Kansas CityMember Posts: 12
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Yep, the humans in my life all say I'm too big for my britches...literally. But just be cause I'm a cat food vacuum cleaner is no reason to get personal!
  • Kailie HicksKailie Hicks Saint JohnMember Posts: 116
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Since having my kittens and being spayed, I have really rounded out... :( I'm bigger now than when I was pregnant! Mommy doesn't feel so bad though because now she's not the only "fluffy" female in the house! ;)
  • Heather LaskeyHeather Laskey LawrenceMember Posts: 35
    edited 27 February, 2006
    A little over a year ago, my vet said that I needed to lose weight. I think my female human (H.) took the news the hardest. For days, she lamented that she was a bad cat mom because she hadn’t noticed that her “little Hilda wasn’t so little anymore.” She certainly got over this fast enough, though! Before I could understand what had happened, I was suddenly eating the little bits of cardboard (and not much of it!) masquerading as food. Even though my brothers didn’t really need to lose weight, they went on the diet too. We were all very crabby. I still hate being on the diet, but I’ve accepted that it’s one of those silly things that the humans aren’t going to budge on.
  • Heather LaskeyHeather Laskey LawrenceMember Posts: 35
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I forgot to add that my humans have recently started feeding me wet food for dinner and they've switched us to a dry food that has less fillers. The new food is quite yummy--I just wish there was more of it!
  • edited 27 February, 2006
    When Inky and I went to the vets in January she said I was overweight - 14lbs but mummy thinks I weight more than that now (and she's been trying to cut down my food). She suddenly said the other day "When did you get so fat" and I was hurt - I'm just a little chubby! What a way to talk to Princess Sparkle! Inky weighed 17lbs but he is very long and not really fat at all. Anyway, she is now seriously watching what we eat - weight management crunchy food and less wet food! It's not fair, I'm always hungry!
  • Cindy NashCindy Nash New HartfordMember Posts: 47
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Yes, I am very round. My belly almost hits the floor. Because of the orange fur on my belly, mommy calls it my orange target. My brother Toby has what mom calls, "healthy fat belly." Which means, big enough to show he eats well, but not so fat to be a problem. Fonzo and Callie on the other hand never gain ANY weight. Fonzo eats like a pig and doesn't gain as much as an ounce! Now mom has a full time job feeding us kitties. We used to free feed but she won't allow it anymore because I ate everybodies food. Now we only get small portions a few times a day. She says this way my siblings won't leave leftovers for me to eat.
  • Rhiannon CheckRhiannon Check AlbanyMember Posts: 1
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I'm not GROSSLY overweight, but I am definitely what you would call 'chubby'. My human mother dubbed me 'The Fat One' all because the other cat in the household is a slender, leggy little youth. She worries about my health a lot, but knows I get a LOT of exercise, and I don't even eat all that much, honest! I suppose I'm just predisposed to gaining a few extra pounds, hah.
  • Kirk IrthumKirk Irthum BrooklynMember Posts: 31
    edited 27 February, 2006
    According to my vet, I need to lose a few pounds and it is hard to do. I lost a lot after my surgery (HSSST) but now I maintain my weight. My humans aren't skinny either so I will blame them ! It's easier to do that !! But at least they can't steal the covers from me when I sleep on their bed at night....MEOW !!!
  • Cheryl SimsCheryl Sims DallasMember Posts: 869
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I used to be a little chubby. I went for my shots & the vet told mom I had to go on a diet. The next thing you know I was getting diet food & she was measuring it.
  • Kathryn JoalKathryn Joal NewarkMember Posts: 6
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I'm a fat cat. My belly goes sway sway sway when I run.
  • stacy guerasevastacy gueraseva brooklynMember Posts: 3
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I'm about two pounds overweight. My vet told me to shape up! But my mom just can't resist giving me those treats I love so much. All I have to do is look at her with my big doe eyes, and meow like crazy, while rub up against her. Sooner or later, she will give in.
  • jenniecarra andriesjenniecarra andries baton rougeMember Posts: 676
    edited 27 February, 2006
    guilty! im 13 pounds and im happy. mommy wants me to somewhere around 8 pounds. whenever she looks at the other kitties on this site, they are 6 or 7 pounds. mommy cant believe that they can stay that skinny.
  • Tracy HowellTracy Howell ScottsdaleMember Posts: 529
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I'm a bit chubby....its hard for us females though. When we get the spay it cuts the stomach muscles and we get a pooch. No matter how thin we are, its there.
  • Monica PhillipsMonica Phillips Santa ClaraMember Posts: 5
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Yes I am...I weight 20 lbs. I recently went to the vet and the vet suggested a new food for me and new method of eating which has been helping. The Vet says I must lose 5 lbs to start off with...then work my way as I can. I have switched to a new good called Hills Physician Diet r/d which is really helping me and I like it a lot. I try to exercise more as well. My mom has been feeding me and my little sister once a day and leaving the food out for 30 minutes and watching us eat to make sure we don't eat too fast or no one gets upset while eating. After the 30 minutes it up the food goes away. We have actually been happier and haven't been begging for food. I hope to kick this 5 lbs by August....but we'll see!
  • Nicole EllisNicole Ellis EncinoMember Posts: 1
    edited 27 February, 2006
    my vet says im a fat cat with a small head, but thats ok my mom and dad still love me.
  • A TA T Northern CaliforniaMember Posts: 10
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I guess you can classify me as overweight, but I just like to call it fluff. Now who can resist a fluffy kitty?? Just because I weigh 18pounds doesn't mean I'm fat....does it?
  • Lynzie BaldwinLynzie Baldwin Los AngelesMember Posts: 660
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I'm with you guys. Some of us kitties are just rounder than others. :) I've always been the round cat in the house ... when Marley was with us, we only ate Science Diet R/D, because that's the only thing SHE would eat, even though she weighed all of 4.5 pounds. Gomer and I now eat a holistic cat food that's not "diet" and I didn't gain or lose any weight with the change. But now that I'm almost 15 years old, I've actually lost a few pounds! Mom got me a puppy (she thinks it's her puppy, but she's wrong) ... and I play with him so much that I've gotten quite svelte. :) Guess she'll have to change my nickname to something other than "Tubby Butt." :)
  • Wendy WardWendy Ward TorontoMember Posts: 84
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Paws up - How many kitties are getting TOO many treats a day? That'll pack on the pounds. Our moms & dads love us but sometimes it would be better if they gave us a pat on the head instead of another salmon tidbit or Torito. Also, we are fed a lot of crap cat food by big name companies. Some of the smaller name, organic co's make better foods for us. I'm 3 yrs old, eat 3/4 cup of dry Newman's Organic a day and weigh a fit 12 lbs. I don't think alot of cats would have to eat "Lite" food or go on diets if their owners didn't overfeed them.