Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

My mommy needs help!

jenniecarra andriesjenniecarra andries baton rougeMember Posts: 676
edited 21 November, 2005 in Food & Nutrition
My mommy is having some trouble deciding what brand of food to feed me. I am a very picky cat and so far will ONLY eat the lesser quality foods like purina and iams. Mommy has tried to feed me Chicken Soup and Nutro but I wont touch it even if mommy mixes my old food in with it. So, mommy needs your help! What do you guys eat that is good quality and also one of the cheaper brands to buy? Mommy doesnt have money to be flushing down the toilet by buying me these foods and having me not eat them.

Comments

• edited 27 February, 2006
    I'm the same way. I am very picky. All I was eating was Fancy Feast dry food and then mom had to go change everything and start feeding me canned Nine Lives. I lick the gravy off but that's it. That's all I've had to eat today so now mommy is in the kitchen throwing away all that Nine Lives she bought and getting the Fancy Feast out again. I guess everycat is different.
  • Giniene RaymondGiniene Raymond FultonvilleMember Posts: 673
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Diego, all 4 of us are the most finicky kitties our mom has ever seen. The only food that any of us will eat is ProPlan canned chicken and rice and ProPlan salmon and rice. We don't like any of the other ProPlan foods at all. Oh, and we all eat ProPlan dry weight management formula.
  • Tammy SchreinerTammy Schreiner FresnoMember Posts: 322
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Try Science Diet. There's four of us, and we all love it! Get a small bag to start out with, so you don't waste money on the big bag right away. The small bag is about $10.
  • Angela ClarkAngela Clark Fort SmithMember Posts: 15,094
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Diego, your mommy should go to Petco and get your food. The good thing about them is if she opens the bag and you won't eat the food, they will still take it back. Just tell her to keep the receipt. I know, we've had to do that before. And they will take it back over and over again. I know, we had to do that too. :-) If you normally shop at PetSmart, check with them to see if they will do the same thing. A really good food is Dick Van Patten's Natural Balance. We ate that for a short time before the vet made us switch because of my CRF. And it isn't any more expensive than anything else. The bag may be, but with a higher quality food like that (or some of the others mentioned), we kitties will usually eat less of it, so ultimately it is just as inexpensive as anything else. It is also supposed to make our poops less stinky.
  • rachel brownrachel brown weatherfordMember Posts: 1,299
    edited 27 February, 2006
    check some of the quality food companies. most will usually guarrentee that your cat will like it or something along that line. alsocheck where ever you buy the food, they may do the same thing. try sample packs if they hav them first otherwise i would buy the smallest size available to make sure they like it before you commit.
  • Nichole DwyerNichole Dwyer Member Posts: 2,118
    edited 27 February, 2006
    You should try science diet,do you eat dry? I love it!!!And once in a while I get alittle can science diet mixed in!!!Your mom could also try mixing the two foods together,that way you get some of the taste from the one you like but you are also getting the nutrion you need>That works for some clients at the Vet office,but others just pick out the tasty food!!!Good luck!!!
  • Regine MelinRegine Melin BrooklynMember Posts: 281
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Peggy and Spike eat Fancy Feast canned food (although I'm in the process of switching to Friskies canned because it's a bigger can and they only get 1/4 of a can twice a day). As for the dry food, they were eating Nature's Choice dry food and loved it until the vet switched them to a low allergen food for the problem with Peggy's lip. I think I'm going to be switching back to Nature's choice because it doesn't seem like the problem with Peggy is her food. Peggy never like Iams but she was also eating Purina One for a while and would only get the Nature's Choice as a treat but she liked that too.
  • Dolores LenzDolores Lenz MissionMember Posts: 341
    edited 27 February, 2006
    My mommy gives me Purina One dry food and Fancy Feast wet food. Yesterday my mommy gave me about a teaspoon of lobster and steak!!! I loved it. It is only a once a year treat, but I could eat it everyday.
  • edited 27 February, 2006
    Here's a link about choosing a commercial brand of food and what to look for. http://www.holisticat.com/drjfood.html
  • tricia servtricia serv shelburneMember Posts: 3
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Our mommy says that your mommies and daddies should be careful with those 'grocery store' brands, whatever that means... alll I know is that this dog that occupies the porch got really really really sick a while ago because the ingredients in her wal mart food ( I think it was ol' roy) made her liver (or something) go bad.. She almost died! She doesn't like us very much, but I still would be very sad to not have that puppy in our porch! So be careful about what food your mommies feed you! anything that has bad ingredients can make you very sick! Tell mom not to go by what you love ( I know I know...) but what will make you HEALTHY!