car rides

Steve McDermottSteve McDermott Member Posts: 13
edited 23 April, 2006 in Cats & Travel
I know my Doofus of a roommate dog likes to go for truck rides, but do any of the kitties on here like car rides? I kow I do, i always like to hop in mommies car when we go to town..she cracks open the window and lets me put my front feet on the arm-rest and stick my nose out the window to smell what i'm going past. Since I'm deaf, it also gives me something to watch instead of sleeping. Sometimes i'll even crawl up on the dashboard.

Comments

• Toffy_VanessaToffy_Vanessa Member Posts: 4,074 ✭✭
    edited 27 February, 2006
    If I'm ever in a car I'm always in my carrier. Mom would never allow me to be loose in a car. Mom is concerned first and foremost with my safety.
  • Deb O'NeillDeb O'Neill PerkasieMember Posts: 8,659
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Yeah, Sophie and I are always in a carrier, too. In fact, Mom searched till she found a carrier that can be buckled in! If there's an accident, we could be seriously hurt without it! It's nice that your Mommy wants you to have lots of different experiences. I'm sorry, but I feel that riding in a car unrestrained isn't a good one, though.
  • Jill ThomasJill Thomas SomervilleMember Posts: 10,370
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I love to go on trips with my Mom and Dale. I start out in my pet taxi, but if Dale's driving, Mom lets me lay in her lap most of the trip. I love to watch the big trucks go by...and sniff the air coming from the vents. I'm definitely not allowed in the driver, Dale's, lap at any time though...and I'm not allowed to roam the car freely. I'm orginally from Birchwood, TN (Eastern TN), but I moved to the Memphis area five plus years ago when Mom got married. My brothers still live with my "Mamaw", and I go visit almost everytime my Mom does. It's about a six and a half hour drive...and I don't mind at all.
  • MARY HEFFERNANMARY HEFFERNAN Valley of The MoonMember Posts: 13,688
    edited 27 February, 2006
    On long trips, we do it like Truman. Usually it ends up with one of us going back in the carrier and napping, anyway. Leash and harness srrangements are good for car rides. We have leashes that can be tied to the arm rest or someplace like that, and are short enough that we can walk around on the seat or peek through the closed window, but can't get where feeties go on the pedals or on the driver. That's pretty good for short trips, like to the vet, with just one person, too. I traveled like that all my life.
  • Janelle StokesJanelle Stokes ChristchurchMember Posts: 28
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I'm always in the carrier in the back seat. I don't mind the carrier but I really hate the car and I'll cry the whole way. I've been in a car three times in my life and my first trip took 90 minutes. I hate the loud sounds and the confinement but once I'm out of the car I'll start purring almost straight away. J was hoping I'd be the kind of cat that could just be leashed up but I don't have the personality for it so the carrier it always shall be.
  • toby cattoby cat perthMember Posts: 4
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Meow, I go on car rides a lot i love watching the other cars go by. My owner even takes me to work sometimes. I don't like my cat carrier as i'm very good on my feet.\ toby
  • jen clarkjen clark StrongsvilleMember Posts: 1,099
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I LOVE LOVE LOVE car rides! The human pets take me somewhere at least 2-3 times a week [or more]. Lately it's been for hot chocolate runs to Dunkin' Donut... the boy just loves their hot chocolate. They hold me and I cling to their shoulder and spread my arms waaay out and just look out the window, I used to go in my carrier, but I just can't see anything from in there. I especially like those really fast little things where the humans sit on the outside... I think they are called motorcycles! I also love those GIGANTIC trucks! OH BOY they are exciting! So, yup, I love car rides... they're just like my stroller, only bigger and faster. Love, Saffron
  • Tina MillicanTina Millican Pell CityMember Posts: 12,008
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I *love* car rides! Mom can open that carrier door and I walk right inside! I always start out in the carrier, but usually I end up snoozing in Mom's lap because I pull those pitiful mews on her- works every time, hehe. I've been traveling since I was a wee kitten, so the noise of the car dosen't bother me a bit. Love and Purrs, The Wild Child
  • Sally WrightSally Wright DenverMember Posts: 130 ✭✭
    edited 27 February, 2006
    When mom takes me in the car, it usually means that I'm gonna be there for a full day for maybe 2 days. She lets me out of my carrier after I settle in and and I look around for a little bit. Then I go sleep behind the passenger seat where I can keep an eye on here if I need to. She keeps my litterbox handy and I use it when we stop for gas and stuff. Now that we have Simone, I don't know how it's gonna work, but Simone was pretty quiet on her first trip (it lasted over 2 days!). I think I heard mom saying that Simone will probably stay in her carrier most of the time, just cuz she's still timid and she doesn't want her bolting out of the door when she gets out for gas. I know better than that, but Simone has alot to learn still. She keeps watching me, so I think she's already learning from me about the house. Like I said, it's gonna be interesting! Oh, her (real) brother LOVES going for car rides! Mom says that he runs around in the van and has a blast looking out the window. His dad doesn't mind yet, but mom keeps encouraging him to get Kongo microchipped. Simone just got hers and I'll get mine in a few months when I get my teeth cleaned. I'm not looking forward to it, but she says it's for our own good since we travel so much. *grumble, grumble*
  • Patti taylorPatti taylor doylestownMember Posts: 3
    edited 27 February, 2006
    My mom and dad go to SC alot. Ever since I was a kitten, they put me in the car with food , water, litter and my blankie. I have my leash and crate for emergencies. I cry to start out but I get used to it after awhile. I know the house when we get there even after so many months. I love it there because I can stay on the screened in porch with out a curfew at night. Meow. When do I get to go again. I really hate those loud trucks though.
  • Tihana GoricnikTihana Goricnik ZagrebMember Posts: 126
    edited 27 February, 2006
    When I travel alone with Ma and Dad, I'm allowed outside the carrier. I sit in Mama's lap and I'm quiet and satisfied the whole time. But, when all of us are travelling - that procedure doesn't apply. Parents have to fold the back-seats and they fill the car with us in our carriers. No one is allowed outside. It's a bit traumatic, cause one of us sings all the time (Orlando), and us others join in. So, it's a bit of a concerto. When a car stops, we stop singing. We are the best speed detectors. If Dad is speeding, we sing louder... Only Ozren sleeps quietly in his carrier. Only Ozren uses the cat toillet during the drive. Only Ozren eats during the drive. It is usually a 5 hr drive. And we get to go on a ferry. Mama takes us out one by one and shows us the sea while on ferry. I must admit that we are used to being in a car. A little bit of annoying sounds, but at the end, we all get to be in the garden for 2-3 whole weeks, so the drive always pays off. It's quite a reward (and we somehow know it in advance).
  • Niki MattsonNiki Mattson St. PaulMember Posts: 20,360
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I HATE car rides! I cry all the way. Although, when Mommy took me to Grandma's for Christmas, I was not too bad. My human love interest Colin (Grandma's boyfriend for those who don't read my journal, and shame on you!) was there, and Mommy sat in the back seat with me. Oh, okay, I let out a few squeaks to let them fawn all over me. Otherwise I was good. On the way home, I cried a little, because my Colin wasn't there. I was in that back seat all alone! One time, Grandma wanted to take me for a ride last summer without my carrier! Heaven forbid! Now, I hate that blasted thing, but I feel safer in there. Mommy said it wasn't a good idea (smart lady! but we did it anyway. I cried and I hid under car seats. Mommy held me on her lap, and I was okay. Then I hid under her seat. Gram wanted to hold me while she was driving! not a good idea! and I hid under her feet. Happy New Year kitties! Don't get too high on catnip tomorrow night!
  • Jennifer GourdieJennifer Gourdie Broken Arrow / TulsaMember Posts: 102
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Car rides are horrible! I'm always stuck in the crate and I complain the entire time (to no avail)! And then when I finally get out I'm at the vets or groomers, why am I so mistreated???
  • Shannon IwamotoShannon Iwamoto San Pablo, CAMember Posts: 50
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I only go in the carrier when I go to the doctors. I don't like it. I cry and cry.
  • Pichan KittycatPichan Kittycat in a BoxMember Posts: 71
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I always get scared of car rides. I don\'t really know why..* shudder*
  • Kelly GrahamKelly Graham Montreal, ArundelMember Posts: 89
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I\'ve been riding in the car ever since I was small enough to fit in the pouch of my moms sweater. I have a carrier, which I can escape from (and do). She lets me out as soon as we get in the car. I sit on the seats, look out the window. And ride on the seat under the back window. I am very calm and stay away from the pedals. It isn\'t unsafe for me to be loose because I am so accustomed to it, and 5 out of 6 policemen asked in my hometown say its not illegal. I can see how maybe some of my friends freak out in the car, but I don\'t. I love car rides and go twice a week for a two hour drive. When humans carpool with my mom, they realize that I have priority-and if they don\'t want to ride with me in the car, then they can take the bus :)
  • Lori MeadowsLori Meadows WoodstockMember Posts: 2
    edited 27 February, 2006
    My brother and I are very well-travelled. We drive from Kentucky to Georgia all the time, and we really enjoy it. As long as Mom stops every hour or so, we don\'t get carsick. We have a travelling photo on our bio pages - you can see how much we like driving! Usually Gryphon curls up in Mom\'s lap, and I have the run of the car. Our litter box is way in the back, with a litter mat. We eat and drink when we stop for breaks. I drove with my sister (before Gryphon) all the way from California to Georgia. Wow, what a great trip! We know that we don\'t get out of our cages until we get on the interstate, and that we have to go back in before our destination. We never complain, and we think Mom is a great driver. We\'re always excited to go driving!
  • Lori MeadowsLori Meadows WoodstockMember Posts: 2
    edited 27 February, 2006
    My brother and I are very well-travelled. We drive from Kentucky to Georgia all the time, and we really enjoy it. As long as Mom stops every hour or so, we don\'t get carsick. We have a travelling photo on our bio pages - you can see how much we like driving! Usually Gryphon curls up in Mom\'s lap, and I have the run of the car. Our litter box is way in the back, with a litter mat. We eat and drink when we stop for breaks. I drove with my sister (before Gryphon) all the way from California to Georgia. Wow, what a great trip! We know that we don\'t get out of our cages until we get on the interstate, and that we have to go back in before our destination. We never complain, and we think Mom is a great driver. We\'re always excited to go driving!
  • Kim YeagerKim Yeager FargoMember Posts: 1,689
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I don't mind it more now that I go everywhere with momma but my sister Allie absolutely HATES it...she cries and panicks. Momma says it's cuz' she can't see too good and she gets that way when she's out of her normal environment.
  • Amber GonzlaezAmber Gonzlaez San AntonioMember Posts: 9,175
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Hi, I'm Moe. Car rides with my doggie friend Ruffian! I LOVE to lay in the back window! We only go for short rides anyway and mommy drives really slow!! I love it though! Sometimes Ruffian lets me sit in the front seat with him...but not often! ;)
  • edited 27 February, 2006
    I used to love car rides! I'd purr and purr in my carrier and try to peek out the windows. I never minded the car much because I knew it was taking me to second favorite place.... The vet!
  • Deb CainDeb Cain San AugustineMember Posts: 14,035
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Hi, my name is Pepper. I can\'t say I like car rides but I tolerate them. It is much better than being left behind! My human parents and I moved from Illinois to La. this past summer. It was a 12 hour ride! Daddy just left this morning to work in San Antonio, Tx. Next week Mommy and I will travel there (@ 450 miles). My parents travel quite a bit so I go with them. The longest I have been left was 2 1/2 weeks. The neighbor would come feed me amd use Mommy\'s puter, tho I liked him, he wasn\'t MY Mommy & Daddy. I usually settle down and nap after about 30 minutes. The big 18 wheelers scare me! I don\'t eat, maybe have a sip of water. I refuse to use the potty (in public...please!). I have my bra (harness) and leash on at all times. This trip won\'t be as bad, it\'ll be in her car and just the 2 of us instead of a single cab pick up and me, her & Daddy.
  • Ligia SantosLigia Santos Member Posts: 36
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I've traveled by car to and from Portugal/Germany, got to visit a lot of places on the way! It's a 3 day trip since only my daddy drives. But I'm always on the carrier, my mommy won't let me loose for safety reasons. So they stop every two hours if I'm awake, to let me strecht my legs, but inside the car. I have a dog's carrier since I'm big and don't fit on a normal cat carrier anymore, so I'm not unconfortable, and have all my toys with me :) She also doesn't give me a sedative, I get to relax with catnip spray and it works for me. And plays only my favourite music: german rock music :D It's also fun when we all stop to sleep, I already know the hotels and after going to the bathroom I sleep like a baby and get ready for another day trip :) when we arrive to our home home in portugal or germany, I sense that we're getting home and start meawing, and then don't even think about moving me for the next days. I've staied twice in a cat hotel here in Germany and was treated reall nice, but I much rather travel with mom and dad 'cuz I miss them when they're gone :)
  • Heidi SackersonHeidi Sackerson Los AngelesMember Posts: 5
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I hate the car. My human puts me in the carrier in the back seat and I cry and cry and cry. She took me on a long road trip, two days on the road, and I didn't settle down at all. My human sang to me to cheer me up, but it didn't work. She sang "No Buster, No Cry" to the tune of that old Bob Marley song. On the return trip, she let me out of the carrier for a little while to see if I'd settle down. I liked being out of the carrier! But I roamed around too much and kept tangling myself up in the human's feet, so she told me I was going to cause an accident, and put me back in the box. I cried the whole way home.
  • Alli SmithAlli Smith BrentonMember Posts: 1
    edited 21 March, 2006
    I think car rides are okay. I enjoy the thought of knowing that we are going somewhere fun (I always go on vacations with my family and love it). I stay in my carrier for most trips, but I get to sit in my mom's lap for a while after a few hours so I can streach. I love sticking my nose on the air vent! My mom's cat Sappfire (who is recently desceased) LOVED to go for rides! She would beg and beg to go, and would insist on staring out the window when she was allowed her out time!
  • Courtney WelchCourtney Welch CalgaryMember Posts: 187
    edited 27 March, 2006
    My mommy used to let me sit in the backseat in the car - until one day I peed all over the seat! Her coat, bag, everything was ruined! Even her wallet smelled of pee and she had to wash all her cards off and get a new wallet! But when ya gotta go,ya gotta go! Needless to say, I am now confined to a carrier for any length of car trip!!!
  • m tanm tan North Beach, San FranciscoMember Posts: 9
    edited 30 March, 2006
    I could not stop talking during our 3 hour trip to Monterey. I couldn\'t get why the trees were moving. I kept checking this window then that window. And guess what? Mommy didn\'t have a litter box in the car for me, and I had an accident. Bad mommy!
  • Christy RaczkaChristy Raczka Tustin, CAMember Posts: 1
    edited 30 March, 2006
    I usually just walk around in the back and if I feel scared I will secure myself between things or climb in my master's lap. Short car trips aren't too bad. Long trips I usually fall asleep the whole time.
  • Amanda BartelAmanda Bartel Santa Barbara,Mancos,RichmondMember Posts: 1
    edited 30 March, 2006
    I don\'t really mind a nice car ride; I used to drive from Santa Barbara to Marin county, CA from time to time. I even went on a trip all the way to Colorado once and I slept most of the way. I like to sleep in the driver\'s lap, or in the back window where I get the most sun. Sometimes it\'s fun to look at things passing by out the window, but mostly it\'s a good time for a nice, long nap!!
  • Prizm SpritePrizm Sprite MemphisMember Posts: 3
    edited 2 April, 2006
    I am 100% car friendly. In fact, I have decided, and Mommy has agreed that indeed the front passenger seat of the car is mine. I am leash trained and wear a harness almost at all times so when Mommy and I go for a ride, I sit up front buckeled in, sort\'ve with my harness and leash attached to the seat belt to secure me. We live in Memphis, Tennessee so we often go to the Petcon in the Poplar Plaza where they know me by name and Audobon park when Mommy lets me walk and usually takes the leash off since I never more than 20 feet from her at any given time rather I am on a walk or inside. I say it seems the canines have got their humans trained to let them ride in the ca it is well time us felines train our humans! Mine is already well trained! Train your human today! Besides. We look terribly cute sleeping in the passenger seat and going to thr drive thru at Wendy\'s to get chicken nuggets!