How did you get your name?

Erica SollyErica Solly South AustraliaMember Posts: 27
edited 14 August, 2006 in What I Love About Catster
I was named after Sean Connery. Sure, I am a girl, but I am proud to have the same name as such a handsome old fella. I am a bit worried about my Mum having a crush on a much much older man though!! If I wasn't Sean, I might have been Sophie - ick! ugh! that suits some cats, but NOT ME!! I am a bit of a Tomboy!

Comments

• Erica SollyErica Solly South AustraliaMember Posts: 27
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I was named Jessi, short for Jessica. Mum calls me JessiCat sometimes. It was just a name that popped into her head I guess. She never thought about it, it just happened. I like my name, it's spunky!!
  • Beastie_and_the_BoysBeastie_and_the_Boys Marquette, MI / ChicagoMember Posts: 17,806 ✭✭✭
    edited 27 February, 2006
    My first humans called me "Thumper." Can you believe that?! A cat called "Thumper"??! LOL--that is a rabbit's name! When I originally came to live with my mommy, she was only going to take care of me temporarily for the other humans. She reluctantly called me by that rabbit name. But when it turned out that the other humans weren't going to be able to take me back, she knew that the rabbit name HAD to GO! She tried out a few different names but the one I liked best was "Arthur." Maybe it was because it has some similarities to the rabbit name ("th" sound and ends in "r") so it felt familiar but at the same time it is much more sophisticated and appropriate for a feline person like myself. : ) Now, if I could just get mommy to quit calling me by nicknames like "Turkey Lips," "****," and "Fuzz Bucket," then everything would be perfect. ; )
  • Ellen KenneyEllen Kenney Stuart / Saint Lucie areaMember Posts: 8,240
    edited 27 February, 2006
    My mommy got my name from 'Milo and Otis'. She said that I get to even more trouble than the cat in the movie did. I've never seen it. But I like the name! And, I like getting in trouble!
  • Ellen KenneyEllen Kenney Stuart / Saint Lucie areaMember Posts: 8,240
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I got my name because I was a mother cat. I guess Mama'Kitty is an OK name. Inleast, they sometimes call me Kitty, Kitty Kitty, and Mama. Instead of Mama'Kitty.
  • FLIP RainnieFLIP Rainnie Member Posts: 80
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I came already named from the family that had me before and gave me away. Mummy didn't have the heart to change it (although she wanted to!) as she thought the little girls who had me before would find out....anyway she always calls me Pussydoo,! I guess you can't get worse than that!!
  • Diana MertensDiana Mertens Warner RobinsMember Posts: 5,435 ✭✭
    edited 27 February, 2006
    When I was adopted, Mommy had a roommate who always named her cats after rock stars. So Mommy tried to do the same When she was naming me, she started thinking of all her favorite songs as she held me in her lap. Then the old Police song "Roxanne" popped into her head. Not a rock star, but still a great name!
  • Diana MertensDiana Mertens Warner RobinsMember Posts: 5,435 ✭✭
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Hey, Zoe!!!!! That's MY story!!!! (shakes head)
  • Cheryl SimsCheryl Sims DallasMember Posts: 869
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Amber is for my coloring if the sun hits just right.
  • Cheryl SimsCheryl Sims DallasMember Posts: 869
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Starvin Marvin is because I'm a pig. Just can't get enough food.
  • Leanne JenkinsLeanne Jenkins Port AngelesMember Posts: 73
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I didn't have a name for a few days...the human said I would tell her what it was. She was driving in the car to work, with me in my little box so I could hang out with her since I was so little, and she FINALLY just asked me...and I telepathed her to name me after St. Francis of Assisi, since he had obviously been looking out for me until I found her. Or was it Frank Sinatra?
  • SterlingAndTheSTeamSterlingAndTheSTeam Mount OliveMember Posts: 41,262 ✭✭✭
    edited 27 February, 2006
    After bringing my twin brother and me home from the Shelter our Mom admired how beautiful we were going to be, so my brother was given the name Apollo, after the Greek god whom mortals looked upon as he drove his chariot across the sky. A god, huh? He's not so beautiful when he gets me in a headlock and bites my ear! I was named Athena, who was a Greek goddess and Apollo's half sister. She was a battle goddess!
  • SterlingAndTheSTeamSterlingAndTheSTeam Mount OliveMember Posts: 41,262 ✭✭✭
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Now days, just about everyone knows who Aragorn is, but 21 years ago only people who read the trilogy Lord of the Rings knew that the character of Aragorn started as a dark, mysterious stranger patrolling the forests and ended up as a king. Mom found me playing in the bushes; all black cats are mysterious; and seeing I was going to have long hair, she knew I would grow up to become a handsome-looking, regal cat. The only problem was everyone asked her, "Where did you get that name? Never heard of it," and immediately forgot what my name was.
  • Debi MartinDebi Martin Metro DetroitMember Posts: 1
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I got my name because my coloring reminded my peoples of a thundercloud. Hence the name Storm.
  • Christine JoyChristine Joy BramptonMember Posts: 1
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Well It Started Off When My Owner Found ME In The DUMPSTER and once she took me home she realized that i kept rolling over and over ...... ( IT MADE ME DIZZY BUT WAS FUN) and she called me Upside Down Cat
  • Zinnia SantosZinnia Santos Miami/Ft. LauderdaleMember Posts: 232
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Computer operating system. Yeah the folks are computer geeks. what can I tell you! It' could have been worse I could have been named Millenium but that was a stinker operating system.
  • Spartacus CatSpartacus Cat Bonnie Scotland!Member Posts: 11
    edited 27 February, 2006
    In the car, after mamma and daddy had been to see me (a week before they picked me up), they were discussing what name to give me... daddy said "Spotts", due to my wonderfully spotted tummy! Well, mamma thought that was way to common for such a remarkable little kitty... then daddy said "Spartacus", and they both loved the name! And so do I!!! When they came to pick me up, mamma had already reserved a website, with Spartacus in the title for me!
  • Tara ScarlettTara Scarlett RaynhamMember Posts: 196
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Mommy wanted to call me "Frankenstein" after Dave Lister's cat on the show Red Dwarf. But Daddy wouldn't let her. So she suggested Natasha (as in Boris and) because I'm all black. Daddy liked that better, so it stuck. But Mommy calls me Tashi Tuna Breath all the time, and sometimes **** Gato. Beater than what she calls Daddy. She calls him Monkey!
  • Evangeline SargentEvangeline Sargent NorwichMember Posts: 3
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Mommy Loves Ireland and all things Irish. When she was in Ireland years ago she hears the name Cliona and it has stuck with her ever since. I think it was actually a cousin of hers name. Whem mommy got me she remembered the name and degided to name me that. Mommy has no idea where the Anne came from except that I was misbehaving a lot one day and to get my attention she just out of frustration put Anne after the Cliona. When I hear the 2 I know I'm in trouble. I don't hear it often as mommy loves me so much.
  • Greg OlsonGreg Olson San RafaelMember Posts: 286
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I don't know how I got my name but I like to think it's because I carry the weight of the world on my shoulders. I'm such an important and cute kitty!
  • Elizabeth DunnElizabeth Dunn San Antonio/ College StationMember Posts: 22
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Well, for the longest time I was just Thing One because my Mommie couldn't tell me from my brother, Bat (Thing Two). One day she looked at me and just said "Violet" because she says I gave her a look that reminded her of Violet from the Gnome Mobile. Wow, she has a great memory if she can remember a movie from that long ago! Actually, I have never seen this Gnome Mobile thing, but I think my name suits me 'cause I'm pretty and violets are pretty.
  • Ashley FowlerAshley Fowler NakinaMember Posts: 6
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I was found on Sunday (May 1st) beside of a Church. Mommy thought it would be nice to name me from someone out the Bible. So my name is Moses!
  • Sandy ColemanSandy Coleman WashingtonMember Posts: 438
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Well, when my Mom met me she hadn't planned on getting a boy cat and had all kind of girl names picked out. Of course, as soon as she saw me she fell in love with me, so all those girl names had to go. On the way home she started thinking of boy names and somehow, she says, thought of an actor she thought was really cute (Rufus Sewell) and as soon as it came to mind, she said that was it. I am MUCH handsomer than the actor, by the way.
  • edited 27 February, 2006
    I was named after actress Louise Brooks, and also after that song by The Human League. Yep, my owners are cheesy 80s-heads! What can you do? ;)
  • Tracey GaranTracey Garan Member Posts: 1
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I was named after the godesss of the dawn, since I was my Dads wedding gift, and marriage is the dawn of a new beginning of my Mom and Dad's life together.
  • Stuart AsbelStuart Asbel The Shellies Memorial Home forMember Posts: 3,367
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Well, when Dad brought me in I had a brother. He decided to name us Nick and Nora after the "Thin Man" movies. After moving a few times Nick finally went off the deep end and ran away. We never saw him again :(
  • Stuart AsbelStuart Asbel The Shellies Memorial Home forMember Posts: 3,367
    edited 27 February, 2006
    When I first introduced myself to Dad on his porch he thought I was a girl. I'm kinda fluffy in the rear so he couldn't see my manliness. Since I'm black and white he decided to call me Moo Cow. It wasn't until after he took me to the vet that he found out the truth.
  • Melody HartwellMelody Hartwell ParadiseMember Posts: 624
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Mom named me Bailey because some of my coloring looks like that alcoholic drink, "Baileys"... a pretty creamy beige.
  • Lindsay MinnichLindsay Minnich AlpharettaMember Posts: 3
    edited 27 February, 2006
    When mommy my sister and I she knew we were angels. I got the name of an angel and my sister got the grade of an angel. My sister doesn't always live up to her name but I do. I'm a perfect angel.
  • Kristen MangoKristen Mango Chapel HillMember Posts: 40
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Nora, we loooove the Thin Man movies! Nick and Nora rule. I'm called Scotty as a shortened version of my shelter name, which was Hopscotch. I think they gave me that because I really do hop! My sister Miss Mo's name was first just "Mo," short for her shelter name Marbles, but mostly because she has a black streak of fur over her head that looks like a mohawk. Then when they went to adopt her they realized she was a girl (!) and so started calling her Miss Mo.
  • Molly CampagnaMolly Campagna High Point, Greensboro, WinstoMember Posts: 4
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Well my original name was Lynx, but as I was the runt of the litter and that's what Mommy called me, Runtzy just stuck.