How did you get your name?

Comments

• Dana DunnDana Dunn Member Posts: 2,587
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Well I am the baby and I was a scrawny little scared kitten, lost in a big pet store. So mommy rescued me and thought the name Oliver sounded perfect for me.
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Mommy got me the same time she got my brother Noah, so I guess she was just going on a Biblical note with naming some of us. Though I\'m mostly known as Murph or Murphy, silly mommy doesn\'t she know that\'s a boys name and I\'m a dainty wee girl!
    edited 27 February, 2006
    My mommy got me from a lady she used to work with at a medical lab. She had never seen a Tortie cat before and wanted a unique kind of name for me. My original mommy had been calling me Splash, but my new mommy didn\'t like it. So she decided to name me Oly after the test that they did most often at the lab. Kinda quirky and unique, just like me!
  • mindy fudgemindy fudge brightonMember Posts: 21
    edited 27 February, 2006
    My mom got me when she was in junior highschool and she liked the t.v show Sabriena the teenage witch, therefore, considering I was all black, my name became Salem.
  • Wendy WardWendy Ward TorontoMember Posts: 84
    edited 27 February, 2006
    My mom was going to name me "Cosmo" or "Nathan" at first but they didn't suit me. Then she looked in her book of Irish names and found "Seamus" (Irish for James). I answered to it when she called me, so it was my official name. I was born in a pound in March (perhaps even around St. Patrick's Day) so it was fitting that I have an Irish name! I've got green eyes too.
  • Amanda WoodAmanda Wood AuburnMember Posts: 35
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Hi! My mommy is an English graduate student, and she LOVES Shakespeare. One of her favorite plays is Julius Ceasar, and she likes the way Calpurnia is portrayed in the play. To be cute, she added an extra "r" to my name, haha. She calls me Callie and Callie-leigh most of the time, though. I'm not sure I've ever answered to "Calpurrnia," but I humor her with "Callie." Hehe. ;)
  • Nicole MeyerNicole Meyer ReadingMember Posts: 767
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I got my name the same way as the other female Bailey (maine coon) After Bailey's irish cream because of the beige on me.
  • Jody LaBelleJody LaBelle StillwaterMember Posts: 3
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Well I got my name Mischief,because...it's pretty self explanitory,LOL. When I first adopted my beloved human,she was gonna call me Billie but I think Mischief just kinda fit me better
  • Lindsay PoveromoLindsay Poveromo Winter SpringsMember Posts: 350
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I came as "Rachel" from the shelter but I didn't know my name and they only called me that because they wanted every cat to have a name. So, my mommy and daddy fought for a long time about what my name should be. Mommy loved Landon and always wanted a daughter named Landon and Daddy agreed it was nice. Mommy thought I should have a middle name, too. She liked Arienette, and Daddy thought it was a stupid middle name. So, around and around they went until a Dakota Fanning movie (one of mom's favorites, I Am Sam) came on TV. Then, they both exclaimed: DAKOTA! And, so it was.
  • Natalie YarbroughNatalie Yarbrough CovingtonMember Posts: 24
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Mommy called me Harley because when I was a lil' kitten my fur colors were bright orange and black - just like a Harley D. As I've gotten older, my orange has toned down a bit, but I think Harley suits me just fine! Mommy and daddy bought me a Harley Davidson necklace to wear, but it was way too big when they first bought it, and then I got fat and outgrew it really fast. I'm a little chub.
  • Natalie YarbroughNatalie Yarbrough CovingtonMember Posts: 24
    edited 27 February, 2006
    My name is Chloe. Daddy thought of my name. There's no rhyme or reason for it, but I think it's because I'm petite and prissy, and the name Chloe suits me just fine. My pretend name at the shelter was Bambi, but mommy and daddy didn't like that too much. Phew, thank goodness they renamed me such a classy and cool name.
  • lynn spicerlynn spicer marysvilleMember Posts: 271
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Mom & Dad really wanted to name me Jeebus (my middle name) - which is from the Simpson's. Apparently that's what Homer referred to Jesus as. But they didn't want to explain the name everytime someone met me so Dexter it was -- they knew I was a boy genius just like Dexter on Dexter's Laboratory. The story is that Mom wanted to name Calvin & Carmen "Elvis & Priscilla" after the Presley's but Dad wouldn't have it -- He liked Syd & Nancy -- punk rockers -- again, they didn't want to explain. Calvin is from Calvin & Hobbes. His middle name is from Pulp Fiction. Carmen was named by a gal mom works with -- it just sounded good with Calvin. Personally, I think they all watch to much tv.
  • Daisy GeaslandDaisy Geasland GlendaleMember Posts: 1,438
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I got mine from random namings after my mum found i was a boy and not the girl she had planned on having called yuki then her mummy woulden't let her call me rabbit so when she said random words she whent through tv show people and spike apeard everyone in my family 'cept my mummy called me spike. My mummy hated the name but then whent on holiday with a friend and when she came back I was used to the name. Now is diffrent my mum loves the name and woulden't name me anything else she says i'm her little vampire kitty
  • Meg HarsenMeg Harsen ClarkstonMember Posts: 42
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I am dinky and I am little I only weigh 3 pounds so mommy and daddy call me Dinky Doodle! how cute is that ?
  • Lindsay RoweLindsay Rowe ArcticMember Posts: 1,776
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I wrote about the quest for my name in my diary. When I first joined catster my name was New Kitty-I Need a Name. A lot of people sent in great suggestions. My mom works with kids and some of them speak Spanish. They wanted me to have a Spanish name. When we did research we found out the Spanish name for skunk-was a skunk like animal in Africa! Everyone calls me Zory, NO!, or purrball.
  • Cyndi HorstmanshofCyndi Horstmanshof Spring HillMember Posts: 14,041 ✭✭
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Hi Dinky Doodle, that's a great name!! I got my name from the movie Milo and Otis. My brother was supposed to be named Otis, but he was already named Gysmo when we got him, and that stuck....
  • Cyndi HorstmanshofCyndi Horstmanshof Spring HillMember Posts: 14,041 ✭✭
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Well, how I got my name is pretty boring... I was already called Felica when my humans adopted me. I liked it, tho, and it fits my elegant personality! >^. . ^
  • Alison WilliamsAlison Williams Matthews/Indian TrailMember Posts: 151
    edited 27 February, 2006
    My name is Slinky Dinky Chibi Kitty....I am slinky, I am dinky, I am a chibi kitty....the Japanese call small kids \"chibi\", and they consider calico cats to be lucky....soooo it seemed apropo to call me (a calico & very small), Chibi >\'.\'
  • Kelly PorteousKelly Porteous CalgaryMember Posts: 10
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I got my name from a Japanese guitarist. My mom says he and I have the same hairdo... I guess I see a resemblance, but I am way cuter than he is!
  • Natalie WebsterNatalie Webster WellingtonMember Posts: 31
    edited 27 February, 2006
    my name is kitty, i got this from nats mum and dad. they watched this show called knightrider and the guys car was called kit so they called me kit which then went into kitty :D how wonderful
  • bernadette keatingbernadette keating kelburnMember Posts: 63
    edited 27 February, 2006
    hehehe i am named after the alcoholic drink tequila because i am the same colour...well kinda..no my mum isn't an alcoholic..there is also a cool song about me which mum has on cd it goes "tequila it makes me happy it keeps me up all night..." Tequila is the name of lurrrve hehehe
    edited 27 February, 2006
    hehehe i am named after the alcoholic drink tequila because i am the same colour...well kinda..no my mum isn't an alcoholic..there is also a cool song about me which mum has on cd it goes "tequila it makes me happy it keeps me up all night..." Tequila is the name of lurrrve hehehe
    edited 27 February, 2006
    opps sorry for the double up..
    edited 27 February, 2006
    it says I am a guest but I am no mere guest I am the lurve mite Tequila, kitty is the 1 lol xx
  • GlamourcatGlamourcat MeridenMember Posts: 32
    edited 8 August, 2006
    I came with my name from the shelter - well, sort of. I was first rescued and named Precious - and then they found out about my temper and they changed it to the more stately Emmay. Mom just dropped it to Emma when she adopted me. I'm told however, one of her past cats, a black siamese/oriental mix who passed when he was 20 was named after a famous actor. My human was still a teenager then, and living with her mom. This other cat had been adopted at age 16, when his previous owners decided they just didn't want an old cat and locked him out. It's a good thing my Mom found him! They were aruging about what to name him and were going back and forth about it, when a Bill Murray Movie came on the tv. His name was Murray after that.
  • GlamourcatGlamourcat MeridenMember Posts: 32
    edited 8 August, 2006
    Mom wanted to name me something that had to do with "small or tiny" and also something that had to do with talking. I was the runt of the litter - but I was the loudest you see. She looked up lots of baby name websites and picked Teagan. One origin has it meaning "Little Poet." Actually, here's the cut and paste from the website: TEAGAN m & f Irish Means "little poet", derived from Gaelic tadhg "poet" and a diminutive suffix. She got that from the "Behind the Name" website: http://www.behindthename.com/
  • edited 8 August, 2006
    Gee. You have good stories Emma and Teagan! I was "Cole" at the pound. The Caretaker thought it was just fine because she likes Cole Porter music, and she didn't want to confuse the issue of who I was by changing it.
  • Kristyn LuksKristyn Luks Member Posts: 32,266
    edited 8 August, 2006
    My real name is Oreo and my Full name is Oreo Diddle MinJhonson....I have know clue where I got Min From.....LOL
  • Kristyn LuksKristyn Luks Member Posts: 32,266
    edited 8 August, 2006
    My real name is Geppetto...and my Full name is Geppetto Merly Jhonson....I also have know clue where I got Jay from.
  • Nicole TateNicole Tate SterlingMember Posts: 14
    edited 10 August, 2006
    Well,I look alot like Simba from the lion king,which is one of my owners fave disney movies.I have a sister named ginger who is hopefully joining catster soon,and got her name because my owner thinks the name is so pretty even for a coon cat.