Post-op Behavior

Aniela LupienAniela Lupien WoburnMember Posts: 30
edited 10 December, 2005 in Cat Health
Cosmo was neutered today (yikes!) When we got home from the vet he was still a little wobbly, but the vet said that would wear off in a couple of hours. That was over 5 hours ago. Cosmo has basically slept all night (more than usual), and he still seems to have trouble with his back legs. I put his water out a couple of hours after we got home and I gave him a little food. Is this normal or should I be concerned? Thanks! I just want my little guy to be back to normal!

Comments

• Deb O'NeillDeb O'Neill PerkasieMember Posts: 8,659
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I didn't have trouble with anything, but my first day home I slept and slept. Mom did call the vet the next day, but by then I was fine. Maybe you should call and see what he or she thinks?
  • Tihana GoricnikTihana Goricnik ZagrebMember Posts: 126
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I recovered very quickly after the op. It was easier for me, because I had a "neuture-pal" - my parent's neighbour's cat Sljivko. We both vomited a bit, (what else could I do)... it was a piece of cake operation. For my female family members that experience was more difficult, but the recovery was also very quick. All three of them went together also. Last month my bro Ozren had two op's at a time. Eye operation as well as the neutering. Poor thing, he had to wear that idiotic thing around his neck, and couldn't even lick his balls for 10 days. Mum had to remove it frrom time to time, and sit beside him while he cleaned himself. But he found few positive aspects of the plastic collar. When you eat, you cover the bowl completely with it, and NO ONE can steal the food from you. When you are done, you simply squeeze out the person eating from the bowl beside you... That was fun! (for him not for the rest of us).
  • Sally WrightSally Wright DenverMember Posts: 130 ✭✭
    edited 27 February, 2006
    My real brother got neutered the same day that I was spayed. The vet told my mom that it could take 24 - 48 hours for the anethestia to wear off. I was freaked out by alot of stuff for about 1 1/2 days after I came home, but my brother was wanting to play as soon as he got home. He was still pretty wobbly though! I think it just takes some cats longer to get over the anethestia than others. You could call your vet and see what they say, since it's a Saturday and they probably won't be there all day, but chances are pretty good that he'll be back to normal soon.
  • Aniela LupienAniela Lupien WoburnMember Posts: 30
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Thanks everyone! Cosmo seems to be getting back to normal. Slowly but surely. The vet said that he should be back to normal by Sunday, so if he's not, I'll give them a call. Thanks again!