I don't cover up my poo!

April SinclairApril Sinclair PhoenixvilleMember Posts: 6
edited 21 June, 2005 in Behavior & Training
When I go potty in the litterbox, I never cover up my waste. Mommy gets upset at me, but I try to cover it up (I just don't scratch at the litter, I scratch at the wall, the floor, the wooden stand, everything but the litter!) How can I learn to cover up my poo with the litter?

Comments

• Megan CMegan C St GeorgeMember Posts: 115
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Mom got me 2 weeks ago and I had been born to a ferile cat so litter was different than what i was used to. I understood the litter box right off but it took me several days to learn to cover my poo. When i was done pottying, Mom would stick me back in the box and grab my paws and show me how to cover it. I got kind of annoyed but it may have helped because I am covering it now. It's only been 2 weeks so Mom isn't sure if my habit is fully broken but so far so good.
  • jenniecarra andriesjenniecarra andries baton rougeMember Posts: 676
    edited 27 February, 2006
    in the wild cats cover their waste to prevent predators from tracking them down and eating them. some cats dont cover their waste because they dont feel threatened or because they dont know how because their mother never showed them. when you finish cleaning out the litter box, bring the cat with you and spray the litter with a water bottle. then cover it up with your hand. the cat will soon get the hang of it
  • Jennifer McMillionJennifer McMillion BeckleyMember Posts: 230
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Don't feel bad Sirius, I don't cover my poo either. When my big brother Pollux was around, he used to follow me to the litter box and cover it up for me. Now that he's not here, I'm not sure how to do it. I too scratch at the walls and floor, sometimes at the litter, but I never get the litter ON the poop. Mom has tried to show me, but I guess I'm not that coordinated. She usually just scoops it out or covers it for me. Maybe I need a new OCD brother who will follow me around and cover my poo again!!!
  • Sue KaufmannSue Kaufmann CranfordMember Posts: 1,465
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Sirius, I don't sometimes, either, and I'm not sure why. Sometimes I actually go back into the bathroom when my human is there, and scratch around the litterbox when something is in it, but still don't cover the poo! I feel pretty comfortable here, so it doesn't bother me much to leave it uncovered.
  • Krissandra ShickKrissandra Shick PhiladelphiaMember Posts: 9
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Sirius, While I don't share your problem. ( personally, I cover my waste with every single piece of litter in the box), I would suggest asking your mom to buy you a bigger litter box that is enclosed. I hope that helps!
  • Jennifer MonahanJennifer Monahan CharlestonMember Posts: 1
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Have you considered toilet training? Our Thor was terrible with a litterbox. When we switched to toilet training, covering wasn't an issue anymore and he's great. We're not fully toilet trained yet, because Pan, who was OC about the litter, stresses about the toilet. Check out the Yahoo group - http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CatsT-Training/
  • Lauren DooleyLauren Dooley RichmondMember Posts: 74
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I went through a stage where I didn't cover my poo! I'd just grown a whole bunch, so the poo was bigger than it use to be. Mom started putting more litter in the box than before and that helped bunches. I still don't always cover it though. If you can't learn to cover your poo. Covered litter boxes are great things, mine has a little air filter that absorbs the nasty smell, and mom dumps a whole bunch of baking soda in with my litter so that smell isn't a problem
  • April SinclairApril Sinclair PhoenixvilleMember Posts: 6
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Thank you everyone for the advice! My mommy is going to try to get a covered litterbox, or use baking soda! Thanks to everyone again!!!
  • Nadia HamannNadia Hamann NanaimoMember Posts: 17
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I don't always cover my poo either, but my big brother stays in their for like 10 minutes scratching at it to cover it with every inch of litter in the box! he's so annoying with his claws scratching the bottom of the pan and all...