Need advice about kitten food

Linda CavanaughLinda Cavanaugh MontaraMember Posts: 29
edited 21 July, 2006 in Food & Nutrition
So, Aslan the kitten is now almost 4 months old. At first he wouldn't eat kibble at all, then he really got into his kitty kibble (Sensible Choice). But now that he has full run of the house (and the other food bowls) he won't touch his kitten kibble, prefering the cat food we give to the adult cats. (Sensible Choice). Should I make him eat the kitten stuff? Or is the adult stuff OK? He's a bit on the skinny side, but his mom is also. Thanks in advance. Linda, mom to Aslan, Claudia, and Miw

Comments

• Sari IvaskaSari Ivaska HelsinkiMember Posts: 23
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Kitten's first year of life is the most important for growth and development. Growth is a crucial period because it determines the cat's health status for future years. A high-quality kitten food (Nutro, Eukanuba, Royal Canin etc.) aids in the development of a strong immune system to help maintain good health and protect against viruses, bacteria and parasites later in life. Even though kitten may appear full-grown at about 6 months of age he’s still growing and maturing on the inside. In fact, kittens have twice the energy needs and nutrient requirements of an adult cat on a pound-per-pound (kilo-per-kilo) basis! Growth will continue at a slower pace until the age of one year, which corresponds to an important phase of bone development. Many researchers suggest feeding some canned food along with the kibble to help reduce the possibility of FUS (Feline Urinary Syndrone). Around 12 months you may switch to adult cat food. Ps. In case Aslan is just bored with his diet it might be a good idea to buy some other premium quality kitten food for a change :)
  • Linda CavanaughLinda Cavanaugh MontaraMember Posts: 29
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Ah - so I should still "insist" that he eat his kitten kibble, even though he ignores it if there is something else around. I guess putting him & food in a separate room (door closed) for several times a day with the kitten food might work. I hadn't thought of mixing the kibble (although I do have some Euch.... however it's spelled) for Kittens as well. And I do know he likes wet food. We have some kitten wet food too. I just need to make sure he eats it, and not one of the big cats. Thanks again
  • julia leafblowerjulia leafblower Dog Agility CityMember Posts: 668
    edited 14 July, 2006
    Our vet said that it's okay to feed kitten food to healthy adult cats. So if you can't feed your kitties seprately try giving them all kitten food. Good luck! -Sneakers
  • Melissa FordMelissa Ford Santa CruzMember Posts: 3,914
    edited 14 July, 2006
    Careful w/ feeding adult cats kitten food, there is alot more protein and fat in kitten food. Your adult cats could pack on some pounds if you are not careful.
  • Kris PotterKris Potter Dallas SuburbMember Posts: 1,131
    edited 17 July, 2006
    I prefer the older cats food to my kitten food as well. (Science Diet Senior vs. Science Diet growth) So my vet said to switch us both to Science Diet adult. She says it will provide me the nutrition I need and won't hurt the older 12 year old at this point. (We know her kidney functions are good.) Mommy does measure the food out to monitor how much we eat. I also have a separate bowl up on my cat tree where Nikki doesn't go and Mommy has been putting a mix of other premium cat foods in there that she wants to eventually switch us to. I'm also eating a little wet food too. But I can be a bit fussy.
  • Gloie WallGloie Wall ColumbiaMember Posts: 7
    edited 19 July, 2006
    Hi. I'm 4 1/2 months old and Mommy's feeding us Innova EVO kitten and cat food. Our older brother Andy (he's 7) can eat it too. She gives me and Katie food many times a day. She can't leave it out for us all the time because Andy is a little fat and might steal it and if he didn't the dog Jamie would clean our bowls right away. this food is expensive but we're worth it! Tommy & Katie
  • Gloie WallGloie Wall ColumbiaMember Posts: 7
    edited 20 July, 2006
    Hi. I'm 4 1/2 months old and Mommy's feeding us Innova EVO kitten and cat food. Our older brother Andy (he's 7) can eat it too. She gives me and Katie food many times a day. She can't leave it out for us all the time because Andy is a little fat and might steal it and if he didn't the dog Jamie would clean our bowls right away. this food is expensive but we're worth it! Tommy & Katie
  • Monica BakowskyMonica Bakowsky AptosMember Posts: 13
    edited 20 July, 2006
    Hi there. I am a 12 year old cat and have two younger siblings, ages 1 and 2 months. Our mommy feeds us Innova EVO. Its a great cat food, with very few animal by-products that is healthy for both cats and kittens!! When I started eating it a year ago, I got lots of energy (and I'm a cat who likes to sleep!!) Plus, its got lots of protein which is good for kittens' development. Meow
  • nastiya pascarinastiya pascari Member Posts: 46
    edited 21 July, 2006
    you shoul dfeed your kitty wet and dry food though they like wet food beter give two spoons of dry food a day.=ooh and while they grow they will need a lot of vitamins so be sure to look on the back of the food you buy that it says that there are vitamins. Aklso, give her/him treats but not too much or their tummy willl hurt.