Scratching!

Jackie GuestJackie Guest CharlotteMember Posts: 1
edited 22 June, 2005 in Behavior & Training
My cat is very young (8 weeks), and she scratches a lot. Something tells me this is just something she'll grow out of... but how can I let her know it's not all right to scratch people? Currently, when she sinks her little claws in, I remove her and move her away from me. And if she comes back, I do the same until she stops. I got her a cardboard scratching board (the ones with catnip in them), because I know cats have a natural need to scratch... but all the scabbed up scratch marks on my legs and hands are getting to me, haha. Thanks.

Comments

• SterlingAndTheSTeamSterlingAndTheSTeam Mount OliveMember Posts: 41,262 ✭✭✭
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Well, I don\'t scratch Mom, but if I do something wrong she will grab me by the scruff of the neck and just hold for a few seconds. This is what a mother cat does with her kittens when they misbehave. Don\'t lift her off her feet, just hold her. She should relax and \"give up\". Release. If she starts right in trying to scratch you again, grab her again by the scruff. Can you trim your kitten\'s claws? If she will let you, try trimming her claws (don\'t cut to the quick). Dull claws don\'t scratch so bad. If she just comes running at you to scratch or ambushes you, carry a water container that you can squirt her with.
  • Leah BenettiLeah Benetti VancouverMember Posts: 2
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Has anyone tried the product "Soft Paws"? They are like fake nails that you glue over the cats claws. It seems very strange but maybe it works. Also I have a declawed cat (I DID NOT have him declawed, I adopted him that way) who has poor balance and co-ordination due to this procedure he had done. Just another reason not to declaw.
  • Emily LeBoeufEmily LeBoeuf Member Posts: 56
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Yes! My mama uses soft paws on me (and my brother when he gts big enough). They keep me from being able to tear things up the way I like but they aren't too bad. I don't really notice them anymore. They don't hurt at all (except when mama accidentally uses too much glue and it sticks to the fur around my claw, OUCH). I didn't really like them at first but I couldn't get the suckers off! It didn't take me long though to get used to them, probably 2-3 weeks. If you are as against declawing as my mama is then these are the perfect alternative! Oh, one more thing, they come in lots of cool colors! I have pink because I am a princess (plus it looks good with my gorgeous black fur and pink argyle collar).
  • Jessica SouthgateJessica Southgate NottinghamMember Posts: 8
    edited 27 February, 2006
    What I do when he scratches it to soud very firmly "No!", sometimes it takes a few times, but he gets the hint and stops scratching. It also works if he's scratching at the furnature, or attacking my feet, and lots of other things. Since he's teething, he's biting, and we have to tell him "No!" for that, too. I've been trimming his nails but that doesn't last very long, so I've ordered some softpaws from America (I live in England at the moment). Softpaws will last about 4-6 weeks while nail trimming only lasts for about 1-3 weeks. It's only temporary until he's fully trained, and since he doesn't go outside unless he's on a leash, I don't worry about him getting into trouble and not being able to use his claws.
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I think you'll find the soft paws work really well! They are the best thing ever. Baghi can't mess things up but she can scratch away as much as she wants! We'll get them for our kitten just as soon as he's a bit bigger and they will fit him.
  • Melissa PuiusMelissa Puius ProvidenceMember Posts: 3
    edited 27 February, 2006
    My Mommy used \"Soft Paws\" on me a couple of times - when we were going to visit her parents\' house, where the furniture is much, much nicer. (I don\'t scratch *that* much, do I?) At home, Mommy just clips my nails whenever they get too sharp. You can sort of see me wearing red ones in the picture on my profile on the pink carpet. If you\'re gonna do a manicure, I say do it right! Anyway, I chewed them off over the course of a couple of days. We decided not to use them once I\'d be there at the same time as my Mommy\'s niece, a toddler who might pick them up and swallow them. She just made sure to clip them right before we went to visit \"the big house\" now.
  • Megan EverettMegan Everett RaleighMember Posts: 24
    edited 27 February, 2006
    When I volunteered at a no-kill shelter, I was always told that kittens didn't really realize that their claws hurt you until about 6 months. I tend to believe that just from experience, but it's really annoying! Luckily, my naughty kitten Chandran is about 6 months now and surely enough he's starting to ease up on the paws and understand when we mean "no."
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I am a scratching maniac! I scratch all the time. Not furniture (that's what my scratching posts are for, duh) but my mom. I don't mean to hurt her. I just can't figure out how to "turn them off". I wish I was like Wolverine (X-men) and could figure out how to pull them in when I don't want to use them. I guess I'll figure it out some day. I am just a little bloke.
  • Sophia HernandezSophia Hernandez Oklahoma CityMember Posts: 1
    edited 27 February, 2006
    ok, we have heard of these...and they sound really nice. But our human is on a limited budget. How much are these?...and keep in mind that there are three of us. We have also heard a rumor that there is some kind of spray out there that our human could put on the furniture that would keep us from scratching on it. Does such a thing exsit?
  • Crystal FullerCrystal Fuller McBean Georgia (Augusta)Member Posts: 53
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I actually heard about soft paws a few weeks and started a thread on "what I love about catster" asking who's tried them. I bought some on ebay the other night. I ordered pink. I got them for a male but he's a Momma's boy so maybe he'll forgive me. He is about 6 months of age so I bought small...that way he can use them and also my two kittens who are smaller than him can grow into them. I have heard great things about them...hopefully they work out for us. I paid 17.00 for 40 of them. That was after shipping on ebay. I don't know how much they are at superpetz. I may have gotten screwed getting them off ebay...who knows.
  • Tabitha Smith-ElliottTabitha Smith-Elliott Gainesville/Hall County, GAMember Posts: 11,582
    edited 27 February, 2006
    ATTENTION! We interrupt this thread for an important announcement! Brought to you by Felix. Through me. Meow there, fellow Catsters... We -- my buddy Jacques and myself -- are trying to help out our friend Sweetie. Sweetie is a delightfully charming cat who loves to play matchmaker...only she hasn't yet found a match for herself. So, to help Sweetie find the cat of her dreams, Jacques and I are hosting the first ever "Cat-lorette." If you're up for the challenge of winning Sweetie's heart, be one of the first 25 cats to sign up in the "Sweetie" thread under Catster crushes. All "rules" will be explained there. There, you'll also have the chance to meet Sweetie, and get a sense of what she's looking for in a crush. Good luck to all, and look forward to meeting you in Sweetie's thread! Meow, Felix
  • Lina ZúñigaLina Zúñiga LimaMember Posts: 12
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I'm quite a scratching cat, but I dont do it so often now, I only take out my claws when I play or when I want to wake up mommy in the morning and she never listen to me... but any way, she stop playing with me and held high up in the ceiling when I scratched her a lot or being confined in her room while they where out side... I got the message and I started to cut off scratching.. but now I bite :D she is crazy trying to do anything to stop me doing it but I will stop only when she pays me attention when I want my morning play time... the rest of the time I'm quite charming young cat and she always rub my head and cheeks to show me her love :) my mom wants to know what to do with the biting problem, dont let her know what to do :D bye!