Pets from the Past ~ Let us not forget

Tammy Grey EagleTammy Grey Eagle Member Posts: 5,828
edited 27 February, 2006 in Plus Fun
Who was your childhood friend & companion? Mine were Felicia, our Siamese cat & Dutchess, our German Shepherd. They are forever etched in my memory. I recently recieved a few photographs from my mom. There was this picture of Felicia and a few of Dutchess. I look forward to getting more. It's nice to have a photograph to put with the fond memories of them both.

Comments

• BruceTheBossBruceTheBoss Winslow, BuckinghamshireMember Posts: 37,079 ✭✭✭
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Aaawww what a lovely idea, Mum is going to get some pics from Grandma and we will respond shortly.

Bruce The Boss

• Deborah CreaseDeborah Crease Mayland, ChelmsfordMember Posts: 1,555
    edited 27 February, 2006
    My mum had a white cat called Candyfloss, mum will have to find some pics of her and make her a Catster page.
  • Toffy_VanessaToffy_Vanessa Member Posts: 4,074 ✭✭
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Mom hasn't forgotten about Cougar, a black cat who was her family's pet from the mid-70's to the early 80's. I think I'll get her to tell me more about him so that maybe I can write a diary entry about him one day. I hear he was quite the tomcat. He was free to roam outdoors and come and go as he pleased. Not sure that's a good thing. Mom would never allow that with me. I wonder how Cougar and I would have gotten along.
  • -- ---- -- Member Posts: 4,760
    edited 27 February, 2006
    This is a beautiful thread.. Leo was my companion... He was my neighbore's cat, more like a stray. He got him when I was five years old. He didn't tka ecare of him, so my family was feeding him and we allowed him to go in the house, well, he became like part of our family. I loved him very much, but he had a short life.. I can't really remember anymore, but I think I after a year somebody poisoned him ( I suspect on my neighbore who got Leo), I was crushed.. I cried for weeks! We never had another cat again, but I promised myself, someday I'll search for a male cat, orange color and really really fat, just like Leo was.. Althought I don't think I'll manage to find such perfect friend... I miss him so much :'(
  • edited 27 February, 2006
    Mom had a dark tabby named Tigger growing up. Her mom surprised her one day after school by taking her to the SPCA to adopt a cat and there he was. Mom loved him very much and he inspired her fierce love for cats. Back then, they let their cats outside and one day Tigger never came home. Mom was heartbroken over it and to this day she wonders what happened to the old guy.
  • Deb O'NeillDeb O'Neill PerkasieMember Posts: 8,659
    edited 27 February, 2006
    (Sophie's Mom) I'll never forget Tinkerbell, a ball of gray fluff, or Midnight, completely black, or Ricky, or Taffy. How I loved Taffy! We had her the longest by far. I guess she would be a torti, but I'm not sure. I still cry over our dog, Ginger, who we got on my 10th birthday. If I can get pictures from my Mom and get the scanner working, I plan on making pages for them. Of course there's Molly, who just passed away a little over a year ago. She has her own Dogster page. This is a great topic!
  • Cyndi HorstmanshofCyndi Horstmanshof Spring HillMember Posts: 14,041 ✭✭
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Mum had two cats growing up that were her favorites. Sheba, a Calico, and Toya a Siamese. I do not think we have pix of them anymore....sigh
  • Tammy Grey EagleTammy Grey Eagle Member Posts: 5,828
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Awww, these posts are all so sweet! This is wonderful and Thank You all for sharing your stories and memories!! I am enjoying this thread and hope to read more ~ meow ~ This topic brings back so many happy memories. Our first loves need to be remembered for always being there when we needed them...
  • Robyn LesoskyRobyn Lesosky CincinnatiMember Posts: 5,076
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Mom had a cat that passed on about a year and a half before she got me. His name was Scooby and he was also an orange and white Tabby she says. She had him from the time she was 4 years old until she was 18! So she very much grew up with that cat and she still misses him.
    edited 27 February, 2006
    awww Scooby .... bet mommy really does miss Scooby! She has you now to keep her company!! Thank you for sharing!! ~ meow ~
  • Giniene RaymondGiniene Raymond FultonvilleMember Posts: 673
    edited 27 February, 2006
    My mom had *shivers* a DOG growing up. He was a white German Shepherd named Teddy and he was her best pal. He went to the Rainbow Bridge in about 1980 due to old age. Mom always wanted a cat but her mom said Teddy hated cats and she could never have one. Although Mom loved Teddy, she would never have another dog again, kitties are #1 now that she is the boss and not her mom anymore!
  • Fluff 1Fluff 1 Member Posts: 190
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Who was your childhood friend & companion? I had a dog named Pudgy who I loved very much and did every thing with, including eating leaves and getting red fire ants in my mouth. That was a painful memory & another story ;) Sincerely, Fluff =^..^=
  • SterlingAndTheSTeamSterlingAndTheSTeam Mount OliveMember Posts: 41,262 ✭✭✭
    edited 27 February, 2006
    My first pet was a poodle/terrier puppy I got for my 6th birthday. I named her Lindy. My first cat followed me home in the snow on Christmas Eve after the neighbors threw him out. We named him Nicky. Next was a cocker named Dixie. While we had Dixie we got a red tabby I named Reno. Reno passed away the weekend President Kennedy was assasinated, so we were crying for both. Our next kitten was a dilute red tabby I named Scamp. Dixie passed away when she was 10 and Scamp passed away from cancer when he was 12. We didn\'t have any animals for awhile until we moved to where we are now and I found Aragorn at a horse barn. Then came two dogs, Pharaoh, an Irish Setter-mix and Sheba, an airedale, both on Dogster. And Kira, a little golden/beagle we adopted from our shelter went to the Bridge in 2004. She is also on Dogster.
  • RH MerwinRH Merwin KnoxvilleMember Posts: 207
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Mabel--beautiful black cat who was with us for nearly 20 years. Also Sophie and Dixie, cute doggies, both who died on different Christmases in the 1970s. Finally, Blue, our last dog, who outlived all our other pets. Blue died in 1997.
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Thank you everyone for sharing your stories and memories about your childhood pets!! They definately deserve to be remembered! Awesome tributes!! ~ meow ~ * ps. if you have any photos of your beloved pet, we'd love to see them. Make them a page and let us know.
  • Deborah CreaseDeborah Crease Mayland, ChelmsfordMember Posts: 1,555
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Mum's made pages for all the cats from her past, Candyfloss from her childhood and Fudge, Wilma and Cali.
  • BethDeeringBethDeering LondonMember Posts: 39
    edited 27 February, 2006
    My Mommy had a couple dogs when she was growing up. Jody, a beagle, had distemper which she had gotten from her dogMommy and only lived three months before she had to go to the Rainbow Bridge (early 70's). Then came Joey, a border collie/german shepherd mix. He came from a farm and Mommy remembers going to pick him out from the litter when he was just a couple weeks old. Mommy loved Joey dearly and they spent many hours playing together. When he developed severe arthritis in his hind end and could not longer get up the stairs to go outside (Grandpa actually carried him up the stairs for a while), they knew it was time to let him go. Mommy still thinks of him often and misses him. She's never had another dog. In 1983, Mommy went with Grandma & Grandpa to Calgary to visit her sister for Christmas. A beautiful grey 6 month old persian showed up on her sister's front porch. Every morning, she was back; Grandma & Grandpa could hear her crying outside. When no one no one was missing a great persian, they brought her home to Ontario with them. It took several days, but they finally agreed upon the name Lady. She was a beautiful cat, but always shy around people. She went to the rainbow bridge when she was 17 years old. When Mommy first moved out on her own, she brought Pepper home because she couldn't stand a quiet apartment. There had always been a pet at home, and it just wasn't home without a pet. Pepper lived for 17 1/2 years before going to the Rainbow Bridge in August 2005. Then Mommy & Daddy brought me to my forever home. Mommy says I've helped fill the hole in her heart that Pepper left, but she still misses her every day.
  • Cyndi HorstmanshofCyndi Horstmanshof Spring HillMember Posts: 14,041 ✭✭
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Mum has been busy making our doggies pages. Our scanner is on the blink so we only have limited photes at the moment. We hope to add more soon. http://www.dogster.com/pet_page.php?i=250720 http://www.dogster.com/pet_page.php?i=250492
  • Elizabeth BanchiElizabeth Banchi MorristownMember Posts: 3,382
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Sally was the dog mom had and died when she was 4. They already had Sarge and Tank and then got Sassy when mommy was 5. April came when she was 6, and then a guinea pig named Arthur(RIP). We then got Gray Ghost, a male cockatiel. When Arthur died(old age, 8) they got two new guinea pigs named Harvest and Buddy. After Harvest and Buddy came, I did. Anyway, Grandma had a black lab named Blacky(Blackie?). And before that a calico named Hojo that they found outside a diner called Hojo\'s. Grandma also had birds sometime in there. They then got Minnie, another calico who has to be near 20 years old, as she is still alive today. She lives with Snowie. When grandma and her sisters had moved out, their parents got a golden retriever(one of the browner ones) named Chester. We have pics. of him and could probably put him up. When Chester died of old age, we gave them Snowie. Grandpa first had Penny, a dachshund-type dog who had a litter of puppies. What happened to the puppies mommy doesn\'t know. Grandpa also had many cats, but greatgrampa didn\'t like cats so he \"took them to work with him\". Evil man.. After Penny, they got another dog named Heidi. She ran away one day because of fireworks, and they never saw her after that. They then got Shadow, a black lab who died of old age years ago when grandpa had moved out of the house, and Coco a toy poodle. They got Coco from a family member who used to breed toy poodles. Coco was soon given to grandpa\'s sister where she lived out the rest of her days.(Coco looked a lot like April, and Sassy was kinda like Shadow. Hehe.)