Vent- This really gets my blood boiling!

edited 27 February, 2006 in Plus Fun
I hope this is okay to do but I need to vent here because I just read something that's got my blood pressure up. While I was looking through the cat stroll, I came across a young cat who has a diary. I was reading her most recent entry and what was written shocked me. The cat's parent had seen the cat outside mating with another cat. The parent was angry but since the other cat looked like it might be of the same breed as their cat, they figured they could sell the kittens as purebred!! There are so many things wrong with that I don't know where to begin! Don't these people realize they are thousands if not millions of cats that are homeless in shelters right now and other who are on death row or have been euthanized because of negligence like that? My mom works closely with a cat rescue group and it breaks her heart to see the overload of cats that are dumped off at the shelter because they lost their novelty to their former owners. She's really become cynical towards people because of the same additude that, that cat's parents have. 'Oh well at least we can make some money!' *puts his ears back and growls* Sorry... I shall climb down off my soap box now.

Comments

• Shelly DucharmeShelly Ducharme Member Posts: 38
    edited 27 February, 2006
    It's OK to vent, Xavier....I am with you all the way!! In fact, I get really irritated all the time when I am strolling and I see people who have let their kitties mate, or they have got their kitty because "X" relative's cat had kittens....it boils my blood too!!! What is wrong with people? OK, I will get off my catnip rage right now and go snuggle with my humans, who rescued me and all my siblings. Thanks for writing though X..... Loki
  • Deb O'NeillDeb O'Neill PerkasieMember Posts: 8,659
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I really understand how you feel. People just don't know what they- don't WANT to know! Maybe what is needed is for a huge media campaign to teach the public... I've had to vent a few times, myself! :(
  • Giniene RaymondGiniene Raymond FultonvilleMember Posts: 673
    edited 27 February, 2006
    We are new to our area and last week Mom went to the local shelter to see if they need voluteers since she was with a TNR group where we used to live. It was appalling how many older kitties were in cages there, given up for various reasons. Some of them have been there for years already! There were also 2 adorable 3 month old brothers, mom thought they would be adopted momentarily, you know how everyone wants kittens only. The lady told mom they had been there since birth! WHY? Because everyone has unspayed and unneutered barn cats. Why would someone go to a shelter and pay an adoption fee for a kitten when their neighbor's barn cat is pregnant and they can get one for free?? It is a disgrace and there is nothing my mom can do about it, there are miles and miles of farmland here. She saw a kitty outside one night last week and was planning to trap it. She told the shelter about it and they told her if it wasn't visibly sick or injured to let it be, it was probably someone's barn cat out for a stroll! She said she guesses she just has to get used to this but it is heartbreaking to see beautiful, older house kitties to live the rest of their lives in cages because nobody wants them.
  • edited 27 February, 2006
    That is terrible for two reasons - first as you say to pass off the cat as purebreed and secondly for not having the cat spayed! It is unthinkable in this day and age to let your cat outside without having this done! With any luck the cat may not be pregnant! Makes my blood boil Xavier.
    Whew! I am glad I'm not the only one who's blood pressure rises when they come across something like that. I came across another cat yesterday, who's parents were so proud that the cat had so many kittens and I had to tell myself I should stop going through the strolls for a little bit before I put my paw through the computer screen. Hehe....
    *hiccup*
  • Tina MillicanTina Millican Pell CityMember Posts: 12,008
    edited 27 February, 2006
    We agree with you totally X! Mom volunteers frequently at our local animal shelter, so she sees all of the poor animals coming in because of owners not getting their animals fixed. Given, we are not fixed except for Little Ma Ma, Squint, Molly, and Bengal, but Mom is doing all she can to get us fixed. Squint was the latest- she was spayed two weeks ago. It is terrible that an owner would do that and then want to sell the kittens!
  • Kim CroweKim Crowe Fort LauderdaleMember Posts: 16,515
    edited 27 February, 2006
    My mom is studying to be a nurse and had to take an anatomy class with a lab. She can't afford an expensive school so the lab used cats to dissect. All of the cats came from the local animal shelter which was very hard for her to deal with. She didn't think it could get worse but then when they got to the reproductive organs almost ALL of the female cats were pregnant. Everyone should have to see something like that if they are not planning to spay/neuter. She tells the story all the time now. That way she feels all those little lives were not lost in vain.
  • Deb O'NeillDeb O'Neill PerkasieMember Posts: 8,659
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Your poor Mom! She's a very strong person. My Mom's not sure she could have handled the situation. Purrs for you!
  • Jane HopkeJane Hopke MiddletownMember Posts: 1,033
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Xavier, it makes our Mommy\'s blood boil too. She had gone to the local pet store about a month ago to pick up some food for us (she tries to patronize local businesses vs. the national chains). However, when she went to leave the store, she was shocked. One of the owners of the store is a SIAMESE CAT BREEDER! She yelled at the clerk about how many homeless cats there are out there and that breeding is totally irresponsible. She proceeded to tell him that it was the last time she would step foot inside that store again. Now, she drives the extra 15 minutes to Petco, since they sponsor adoption days and work with various rescue groups in the area. Sugar Baby was lucky when her previous guardians surrendered her. They picked a no-kill shelter where the cats run free in a couple of rooms. According to Mommy, she had her own roost, but she never had to be in a cage. Her previous guardians were also smart to spay her as a kitten (they kept excellent records so that Mommy has her entire medical history). So Sugar Baby, Mommy and I support your rant!
  • Lindsay RoweLindsay Rowe ArcticMember Posts: 1,776
    edited 27 February, 2006
    How selfish of that person to get her cat pregnant just for a few bucks! I don't blame you for being angry.