Indoor or Outdoor

Shannon IwamotoShannon Iwamoto San Pablo, CAMember Posts: 50
edited 5 November, 2006 in Cats & Travel
Where do you live indoor or outdoor or both? Where do you think is the best to be beteen the two? I live indoor I love it because I don't have to worry about rain and I get waited on hand and foot also I don't have to worry about cars.

Comments

• Sally WrightSally Wright DenverMember Posts: 130 ✭✭
    edited 27 February, 2006
    In the wintertime, I stay inside all the time. During the summer though, my mom lets me go outside during the day, as long as it's not raining out (she leaves the front door open a crack for me when I'm outside). I love to sniff the flowers and nibble on the grass and sleep in the shady places. *purrr* Now that Simone lives here though, I don't know how it's going to work. She was outside all the time, as a feral kitten, and mom is scared that she'll take off if she gets outside. She's microchipped already, but mom is still scared. I'm not microchipped yet, but I heard her say that I'll have it done in the spring at the same time that I get my teeth cleaned. She's having us both microchipped because she takes us when she travels for work, and she doesn't want us to get lost if we get away when she's out of town! The neighborhood that we live in is pretty safe, but there may be some changes on the way... ick!
  • Niki MattsonNiki Mattson St. PaulMember Posts: 20,360
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I'm a 99.9% indoor kitty. But every once in a while I have to go to the vet, or I get to go to Grandma's house. Sometimes in the spring and summer, Mommy takes me for a "roll" in her grocery cart. I like that! Sometimes I get to sit out on the deck with Mommy, too.
  • Tihana GoricnikTihana Goricnik ZagrebMember Posts: 126
    edited 27 February, 2006
    We are also 90% indoor kitties. We live in a flat on the 3rd floor, and we are allowed only on the small balcony when it's warm outside. Now it's cold, and Mama lets us out only in the morning for a few minutes to count the birds in the neighbourhood. But during the summer, when our parents (and other humans) migrate to the coast and islands, we get to go with them. They usually go to their summer house with garden in the beginning of June or September, during the lower tourist season. We LOVE to be there. We are allowed to be outside all the time, we can enter the house through the opened kitchen and bathroom window on the ground floor. When our parents go to the beach, they leave the windows opened for us, but we usually stay inside the house while they are gone. It's safer. As they come back, we all start crawling out. We feel safer being outside when they are around. Every evening they chase us around the garden to put us inside. That's because they don't want us to fight with local feral cats. We usually get beaten up. If it can be prevented, why not?
  • edited 27 February, 2006
    The gang and I are all indoor only kitties for the most part. Once in a while I'll sneak out to eat some grass but one of my parents usually right there watching me. Sampson, when he was alive, used to walk on a harness and lead around the yard with mom and she hops to do the same with Mirabelle this spring. We're also trying to be on our best behavior so pappa will build the outdoor enclosure he keeps talking about... Where we live, we are surrounded by woods so there's lots of coyotes lurking about so letting us out on our own is something mom would never think about. We're also not to far from a highway so she would worry about that as well.... As well as disease, bad weather and bad people, those have all sealed the deal to make us indoor only cats.
  • edited 27 February, 2006
    My brother and I are indoor kitties but, like Zina, we live on the third floor and have a balcony. When the weather is nice, we spend lots of time out there. Unfortunately, it\'s rainy season now so we mostly stay in. There\'s a birdfeeder on the balcony, so we hang out near the door and watch the birdies.
  • JANE STUTFIELDJANE STUTFIELD BERKELEYMember Posts: 2,203
    edited 27 February, 2006
    My sister, Kila, and I used to be indoor/outdoor cats but then I made the mistake of disappearing for 16 days. Luckily I was ok and came home as soon as I could - I've never told anyone what happened to me. When I got home my mom said that's it - you are now 100% indoor cats - there are just too many things to worry about outside, in the city. My adopted brother, Oliver, has never been outside although he was picked up as a stray so he might have roamed the steets before he came to live with us. I've been indoors for over a year now and I'm fine with it - I sit in the screened windows and sniff the air and watch the world and other cats go by. We all feel very safe and happy. Try to stay in - you'll live a long and happy life. Signed, Jackson
  • Sally WrightSally Wright DenverMember Posts: 130 ✭✭
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I wish I could say that I'm happy to be inside all the time, but I'm not. I dig at the door all the time, trying to get out, and if it's a sunny day then it's worse. Mom isn't sure what'll happen if she moves to a place where I can't go outside. Hopefully there'll at least be a porch that I can get to, but I don't know if I'll even be happy with that. I'm a tigress at heart and I don't like to be penned in!
  • Tina MillicanTina Millican Pell CityMember Posts: 12,008
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Only me and Simba are inside cats. The rest are outside cats, for obvious reasons. Most of 'em hate being inside. Molly is an inside cat too over in Georgia. Simba likes to go outside every now and then though.
  • Deborah CreaseDeborah Crease Mayland, ChelmsfordMember Posts: 1,555
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I'm an indoor and outdoor cat, in the summer I spend 90% of my time outdoors and in the winter i spend 90% of my time indoors.
  • Kathleen McLaughlinKathleen McLaughlin AmherstMember Posts: 24
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Me and Henry live both indoors and outdoors. I don't usually go outside during the winter, but I like going out during the summer. Henry almost never comes inside during the summer, he just comes inside to eat. We don't go out as much now that it's winter.
  • Cyndi HorstmanshofCyndi Horstmanshof Spring HillMember Posts: 14,041 ✭✭
    edited 27 February, 2006
    We are all indoor kitties. Bootz was an indoor/ outdoor kit when we rescued her at age 10. She was not allowed out side after that and she settled in very quickly. *Smiles*
  • Deb O'NeillDeb O'Neill PerkasieMember Posts: 8,659
    edited 27 February, 2006
    We\'re both indoor cats and wouldn\'t have it any other way! We know we\'re safe and warm inside.
  • Lynda McCormickLynda McCormick BeaconsfieldMember Posts: 243
    edited 27 February, 2006
    We\'re all indoor kitties here, I\'ve never been outside in my 13 1/2 years except for trips to the Vet and then it\'s in a carrier and the car. I howl all the way there and back! I stay away from the open doors and hate the doorbell, I race downstairs if it rings. We have big windows, and a huge bay window in the kitchen and we can see all the birds and squirrels we want to see, and in the summer Mom opens the windows so we can cata a fresh air breeze as we lay in the sun. Cars are scary, and so are the huge Raccoons we see passing by the windows, the cat next door went outside, she was a very nice friendly little girl, but she thought Raccoons liked to be chased, they don\'t and one killed her last summer. Outside is not for us, thank you.
  • Ellie(Elinore) ClarkEllie(Elinore) Clark Member Posts: 9,364
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I'm an indoor only cat and would't want it any other way. I was a stray when it was below zero and no fun. Plus I had a broken tooth,and some ticks from being outside before mynew owners started checking on me. Too many people like to shoot as innocent cats who are just out for a bit also. My vet tells us about it all the time. You will adapt if you get some good scratching boxes,etc.It's fun outside, but dangerous. Purrr Purrr from an outside rebel.
  • RH MerwinRH Merwin KnoxvilleMember Posts: 207
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I'm indoors for as long as I can stand it, but I get let out quite a bit. I'm in a safe area--big field with lots of space, no cars. It's heavenly!
  • RH MerwinRH Merwin KnoxvilleMember Posts: 207
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Indoors is my favorite place. I like to watch birds through the window, but it's too dangerous out there for me--lots of cars in my neighborhood.
  • Stacy WarmackStacy Warmack HeberMember Posts: 1
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I used to be a very adventurous outdoorsy kitty, on grandpa\'s land when mom was in college. That was when we lived with Ruby. I even got into a fight with something and could have been very badly injured in the woods. Grandpa thinks it was a Fisher. I was very tender (and grumpy!) for a while, but it turned out ok. That was for a limited time that we lived there - mom had to go back to college and I back to an apartment. Now that I\'m an old fart (and live in a house!), I like to go out in the backyard, but don\'t go any further than mom\'s office window in the front of the house to ask to let me in. Ruby taught me that trick! Mom worries because it\'s dangerous out there with cars and such, and I know she\'s glad that I don\'t go far and don\'t stay out long. Summer in Salt Lake is nice, though, because I can go out and sleep in the shade under a vehicle and it\'s 100 in the shade. Just like a heat vent in the winter!
  • Cheryl SimsCheryl Sims DallasMember Posts: 869
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Indoors, you aren't getting me out of my bed. I had a friend who stayed outside and he disappeared. It it way to dangerous. Inside only!!!
  • Heather HHeather H Satellite BeachMember Posts: 18
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I live inside and love it! My family lets me go out in the tall fenced backyard sometimes or on a leash and harnest. I think inside is better because I have lost a lot of cousins and friends to cars and other animals attacking them.
  • Emily AuerswaldEmily Auerswald BaltimoreMember Posts: 5
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I live indoors all the time because I live in a city, and if I were to go outside, I might get SQUISHED! I do not want to get squished. The only times I go outside are for things like vet trips or to Grandma Cookie's house, and then I go in my crate.
  • Helen CornellHelen Cornell QuakertownMember Posts: 7
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Merry meet! We have read all of your posts, but still cannot decide what may be best for my emotional health. Indoors only or with outings on a leash?? Mom says: With warm weather approaching I am faced with a quandry. I intend to keep Miakoda safely indoors, as we now live in town. I once had a friend who took his cat outside in the yard every day on a harness and long leash attached to a stake in the ground... At the time I thought this quite odd.. Now I am wondering if this is a good idea so that Miakoda could get a taste of the outdoors and have a fuller life. My friends kitty was very happy with that arrangement, but did get out the door and run away once. I am worried that being outside only intermittently may make her stir crazy, and house-cat-life not so content...? She may want to try to escape and not be as happy as she would be not knowing what wonders are out there. Any advise would be greatly appreciated!
  • Taylor WebsterTaylor Webster DFWMember Posts: 8,065
    edited 27 February, 2006
    OUTSIDE ALL THE WAY!! *grins*
  • Shannon IwamotoShannon Iwamoto San Pablo, CAMember Posts: 50
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Miakoda- I am just an indoor kitty amd I love it. If we do not get a taste of the outdoors we really wont know what we are missing. I was outdoor for a bit but I only stayed it the garage. When I was broght inside I did not mind. My owner says she worries about having an outdoor cat because of so many more things out there that can cause my life to be shortened but my brother Eli is outdoor and he seems to be fine but at night time he stays in the garage and the streets in the neighborhood are really calm. He was already outdoors so he has experince with the outdoor life. I hope that helps you make your decision. I would love to know what you decide.
  • jen clarkjen clark StrongsvilleMember Posts: 1,099
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I live indoors - I much prefer the pampered lifestyle. Plus, I don't have to worry about the dangers of the outdoors. I think my meowmie would ever forgive herself is something happened to me.
  • Nedda GroganNedda Grogan Member Posts: 13
    edited 23 June, 2006
    In the summer i stay inside 70% of the time,and in the winter i stay in 95% of the time.So i live indooor and outdoor.
  • Nedda GroganNedda Grogan Member Posts: 13
    edited 27 June, 2006
    In the summer i stay inside 70% of the time,and in the winter i stay in 95% of the time.So i live indooor and outdoor.
  • Sarah KlearSarah Klear VictoriaMember Posts: 239
    edited 23 June, 2006
    In the summer, I spend about 75% of my time outdoors on a tie out. I refuse to go in at times! I just love it outside. I only go in for a meal or my mommy has to leave or when it becomes dark or stormy. But mommy doesn't let me go outside for more than a few minutes outside in the winter. Darn! I even have my own little cat house outside, that Pearl & I like to hide in. Plus, mommy ties us so we can go on the porche for shade and she puts our water outside if we get thirsty. Purrs!
  • Yipee LadybugYipee Ladybug Member Posts: 3,805
    edited 27 June, 2006
    I get to go outside almost whenever I feel like it! It's great, I cry and keep crying until mommy finally "gets it" and lets me out. She always let me out into the backyard and she never has to supervise me, as I know not to leave our back yard. Donny and Marie got to go outside recently. They get freaked out real easily so they don't stay out too long - unlike me. : D
  • Yao-Lin BradyYao-Lin Brady HantsMember Posts: 42
    edited 28 June, 2006
    I am an indoor kitten at the moment but my mummy has bought me a harness and lead and is training me on it! I have been really good wearing my harness but she has yet to try the lead *snigger*. I am having my innoculations first because otherwise I may catch something nasty from the common cats outside *tee hee*