Indoor or Outdoor

Comments

• Bianca LightnerBianca Lightner VancouverMember Posts: 218
    edited 28 June, 2006
    Well I can never go outsite for obvious reasons. (mom speaking now ) I used to let my Mr. Murphy go outside. He was so smart, that I honestly believed that cats should be indoor/outdoor. Mr. Murphy was scared of cars, and never left the property. Now that I have worked at a shelter for over a year. I do not let my cats outside. I see too many lost cats (in the 1000's) , DOA cats. I just fear that my little Frito is not smart enough for the outside world. I do take them out supervised only. Stevie really enjoys it because she can hear the bugs in the grass. Will I ever let Frito out by himself? I just don't know. I am not comfortable with the thought anymore. Too many bad things could happen to him. It's actually something I have been pondering for awhile now. To let him out or not. For now I am going with a not.
  • julie wallinjulie wallin knoxvilleMember Posts: 24,063 ✭✭
    edited 28 June, 2006
    We are 101% indoor and we love it. We have beds in 3 different windows, the birds, sometimes, sit on the window sill, and that is so fun. Neither one of has been wet, or scared (and I scare easily). So we love it indoor. Mom asked the vet about taking me (Frankie) for a walk, since I am part-meezer and would like it, but the vet even said no, we should stay indoors.
  • Katie WalterKatie Walter HoltMember Posts: 2,808
    edited 28 June, 2006
    We are inside kitties. We love laying in the sun spots on the floor and laying on the bed =) We also love windows. My sister and I really don't like going outside.
  • Cassandra GriffinCassandra Griffin OmahaMember Posts: 4,662
    edited 29 June, 2006
    im 99% indoor but sometimes i run off for a little then come back.
  • Raquel YbanezRaquel Ybanez AustinMember Posts: 6
    edited 30 June, 2006
    I live indoors, but sometimes my mom will take me outside and let me sit on her lap on the patio. I love to smell the outside and you can tell cause I sniff constantly when I'm out there. However I have to behave because if I leave my mom's lap it's back inside. My brother and sister have no desire to go outside- it scares them. Mom says there are way too many feral cats near our house and we might catch something!
  • Chris XChris X BeverlyMember Posts: 3,221
    edited 30 June, 2006
    Zak and I are pretty much inside cats. But we can\'t say completely, because we can come and go as we please on the deck as long as it\'s not raining, snowing, or dark. The deck is railinged all the way around, it has a canopy, and there\'s no way down from it, though, so I don\'t know how outside that really is.
  • Toba HartmannToba Hartmann Long IslandMember Posts: 1,185
    edited 1 July, 2006
    My sister Gizzie and I are 100% indoor cats. We have a window perch in the den, all the window sills in the house, and Meowmy\'s \"greenhouse\" window in the kitchen. We Love to look at the birds in the yard. The dogs that live here in our house go out in the backyard all the time, and even go for \"walks\". But they can\'t get out of the yard on their own. We could get out of the yard in a flash! But we don\'t want to. We\'ve always lived inside, and we like it that way. And we\'re safe from raccoons, kids, strangers and CARS.
  • Daisy GeaslandDaisy Geasland GlendaleMember Posts: 1,438
    edited 2 July, 2006
    I'm an indoor kittie about 70% because i'm often in the backyard and come and go as I please unless my humans are out or going to bed or it's night. Spike and amber are In and out cats though amber stays in most of the day she's chucked out at night because she often leaves presents even though there's a litter tray and that she's 8 years old.
  • Meekhan WhitakerMeekhan Whitaker JacksonMember Posts: 843
    edited 2 July, 2006
    Mommy lets us go out in a fenced in area. Mom and dad have a dog kennel right outside the back door. Mommy put chicken wire around the bottom to keep us in and deer fence over the top, so we can't jump over the top. We were both declawed when mommy got us and lucky is not very lucky. Mommy says that she does not want us to get hurt, but she don't want to keep us in the house all the time because we want to be outside.
  • tay someonetay someone SydneyMember Posts: 42
    edited 2 July, 2006
    I live indoors, apparently my owners had cats that lived indoors and outdoors. They all passed on. When they got me, they decided that I would be completely indoors so I would be safe.
  • Pamela FerrisPamela Ferris RoanokeMember Posts: 150
    edited 4 July, 2006
    I am a 110% indoor kitty. We live really close to a road, so mommy would NEVER let me outside...which is fine with me...eatting kitty grass in the window is good enough for me! And if I ever get the urge to hunt...mommy lets me into the basement to make sure there are not mice...so why do I need to go outside?!?! My family used to have 2 cats a few years ago when they lived in the country who would go through the dog door to the balcony and jump off (from the 2nd floor) whenever they wanted out...guess it's a good things cats land on their feet! Then would come to the door when the wanted back inside.
  • Pamela FerrisPamela Ferris RoanokeMember Posts: 150
    edited 6 July, 2006
    I am a 110% indoor kitty. We live really close to a road, so mommy would NEVER let me outside...which is fine with me...eatting kitty grass in the window is good enough for me! And if I ever get the urge to hunt...mommy lets me into the basement to make sure there are not mice...so why do I need to go outside?!?! My family used to have 2 cats a few years ago when they lived in the country who would go through the dog door to the balcony and jump off (from the 2nd floor) whenever they wanted out...guess it's a good things cats land on their feet! Then would come to the door when the wanted back inside.
  • Olivia SchumacherOlivia Schumacher Laporte,PaMember Posts: 45
    edited 4 July, 2006
    Well at night im indoor and in th e mornin i'm outdoor but whenever mommy askes me if i would like to come in i do i LOVE the outdoors and indoors!In the winter i like to go out and eat the snow with mommy but i only stay out for a little then my paws feel really cold but i love the outdoors!
  • Amber CooperAmber Cooper NorthwestMember Posts: 415
    edited 5 July, 2006
    My kitties are not allowed outside. There's far too many dangers, and lots of people dislike cats enough to intentionally poison them, run over them, etc. It's not worth the risk to my kitties. Gizmo does like to sit on the back step sometimes. But the yard is fenced and I know it would take a whole lotta persuasion to get her big 'ol butt over the fence! She sits on the step while I'm cleaning up after the dogs and goes in when I tell her she's been out long enough. Even sitting by the door like that just makes me all kinds of nervous.
  • Melanie MarracqMelanie Marracq Redwood CityMember Posts: 18
    edited 5 July, 2006
    I am a strictly indoor cat- Ive had enough of the outdoors anyway- my dad found me when I was a kitten in san francisco. I was a bit of a feral kitty, but he took me home and Ive never wanted to go outside since. Im happy to watch the birds, bugs and cars fly by my window. And its easier for me anyway, I dont have to worry about fleas and ticks as much or getting lost or hurt.
  • Goolnar HawGoolnar Haw Member Posts: 2,525
    edited 9 July, 2006
    we rescued skitty last summer when she was approx. 5 yrs old. we were told that she had a litter shortyly before she was surrenderd by her previously family which leads us to beleave she did go outdoors at some point. since we\'ve had her she \'s gotten out once last fall...a stupid wrker left our back door open even after i asked him numerous times not too. skitty was jumping fences & it was dark out...we thought we would loose her for sure... luckly we finally caught her. she always sits at the back door & watchs her brothers in the yard. she has showed interest in going out but we are strongly opposed to that...too many lost, sick or dead kitties i\'ve heard about or seen :( skitty was sitting by the back door earlier today & i moved her as i was in & out (i would shut the door each time or course) anyways, i opened the door to call in her brothers & i noticed some movement by my legs. i looked down & guess what skitty got out...i yelled @ her & luckily she came back in. skitty is micro-chipped but i am sooo paranoid we\'ll loose this sweet girl :(
  • Dawn MelbourneDawn Melbourne BedfordMember Posts: 69
    edited 20 July, 2006
    I am 1 year old and i play in the garden with my little buddy spencer but lately i have started leaving the garden and mummy is worried for me, she found me over the other side of the wall tonight and there are cars there. I tend to stay in the garden for about 4 hours then i get bored and jump over the wall and she has to get me back. I will have to try be a good girl because mummy is terrified i might get knocked down. Spencers too little to leave the garden. In the winter we will be completely indoors again. Mummy hopes to move to a quiet area one day where it will be safer for us.
  • Kathy MillerKathy Miller O'FallonMember Posts: 5,315 ✭✭
    edited 28 July, 2006
    As alpha cat, I'll answer for all of us. We are really divided on this topic. I am totally an indoor cat and I raised Phoebe to stay indoors too. In my opinion there's just too much that can go wrong outside. Murray and Christa both lived outside as strays before they were adopted and they insist on going out for a little while each day or night. I worry about them, but they tell me they know what they're doing. They do stay in the back yard or on the front porch, but I don't like it. I watch from the window as much as I can to make sure they're ok.
  • carisa swensoncarisa swenson Member Posts: 2
    edited 29 July, 2006
    Pooka and I are 100% indoor....besides the trips to the vet. Our mom feels it\'s the best thing for us because a) We live in a city, in an apartment b)no danger of us being hit by cars! c)Can\'t get nasty parasites like toxoplasmosis from eating birds and mice. Our mom tries to give us lots of exercise by playing with us and we have huge windows to look out of!
  • Beth LamarreBeth Lamarre BristolMember Posts: 68
    edited 12 September, 2006
    our mom was talking about this just today with her co-worker. mom wants us to be inside cats for our safety, and we aren't overly keen on trying to get out, anyhow. we are fine up in our second floor home, and we can get in the windows. mom even bought royce and me a perch for the window when it gets colder and we have to close them, with no sill to sit inside. splash and martin (my gram's kitties) are indoor kitties, too, but splash loves to be outside. she tries to escape all the time to roam the neighborhood. martin prefers the house. there is a sunporch in the new house, so they mostly hang out there. it's the best of both worlds for now, but in the winter, splash will be antsy to get out again.
  • Carrie ComerCarrie Comer Page CountyMember Posts: 888
    edited 12 September, 2006
    Inside only!!! I have tried to get out a few times and mom freaks and runs after me. I would like to get out and hunt and play, but mom worries I will get hurt. Riley was outside till the shelter got him and so now he is scared to go out. He was pushed, hmm I mean fell, out the window one morning when I had enough little cat brother and he cried for mom to come find him and get him back in the house. We live in a ranch style house so he was fine-I got in trouble because I seemed too happy to look out the torn screen and watch mom gather him up in front of the new neighbors when she was still in her robe-hehehe. So we are inside all the time. I blame Riley. Thomas
  • melissa muttermelissa mutter West ChesterMember Posts: 10,189
    edited 13 September, 2006
    Strictly indoor kitties here. We were all stray and some of us feral all living outside at one time. So we have had our fill with the outdoors AND we know just how dangerous things can be for a cat outdoors! One nice day last year Mom even tried to take Ravi outside to brush him and he became so freaked out he tried to jump through the glass door to get back inside! Well I forgot about Sneaker, he's an odd one he will not come inside at all, over the years Mom has tried and tried to convert Sneaker. She wishes that she would have know n that he did not belong to anybody before he had gotten so used to being outside. Now he can't see himself as anything but a hunter and outdoors kitty! Our grandma's cat's Lucky and Whitey, although they lived on the streets at one time too like to go outside into their fenced in yard, neither jump the big wooden privacy fence so this okay as long as Grandma remembers to give them their Advantage or Frontline!
  • Shaylee VShaylee V Member Posts: 7,654
    edited 13 September, 2006
    I'm an indoor kitty, even though I do love to venture outside. My mom won't let me though. She's too afraid I'll get hurt.
  • Michelle BrunnerMichelle Brunner BlairsvilleMember Posts: 11,194
    edited 14 September, 2006
    I am a 100% indoor cat. I'm glad I like being indoor because mom would freak out if I got out. Mom used to have a cat who was an outdoor cat and she was always worrying about her when she never came home. Too many dangers out there. I agree. Mom did get me a stroller to take me on short walks. I don't mind them too much. At least I get some fresh air and I get to see my nice neighbor lady who likes me a lot. I know there can be medical benefits for being an outdoor cat, but I'm glad I'm an indoor cat!!
  • Heather BellamyHeather Bellamy Perry / StatesboroMember Posts: 5,506
    edited 15 September, 2006
    I lived as an outdoor cat most of my life. Mommy was only 10 when I found her (she was walking on her dirt road w/ her parents, and I walked up to her; I was a tiny black feral kitten and it was Halloween Day--hence the name Lucky Boo). I turned 12 last October and I was still an outdoor cat. But then I got sick with Feline Leukemia and Feline Infectious Peritonitis (got them from a stray cat, Maximo, who showed up at our house and we adopted) so Mommy keeps me indoors now. I love it! She worried about me at first because I have always lived outside, but I don't even really miss it all that much. Like Toulouse, I have a stroller so I can still go out and get some fresh air. I also get to go out on the front porch with Mommy and my Grandparents occasionally. I'm not allowed out unless someone is outside to supervise me to make sure I don't wander away and get lost! I have to take medicine every 12 hours, so it would be disastrous if I were to wander away from the house for a day or two (which I've done in the past when I was outdoors only). I considermyself lucky that I haven't gotten injured outside. Well I did almost get my head cut off in our garage door but that was a long, long time ago. And I got bit by a snake too. Oh yeah, and there were the abscesses... guess I wasn't that lucky. Purrs, Lucky Boo
    I am a 60/40 cat: 60% indoors; 40% outdoors. I don't like being inside at all. I was a stray so I have always lived in the great outdoors. Mommy adopted me a few years ago, and soon after that I became an indoors only cat while my leg healed. Some mean purrson attacked me with a bat or some other metal object, shattering my right hind leg! I had to have an external fixater on my leg for two months! During that recovery time, all I wanted to do was go outside, but I couldn't. I did escape a couple times but Mom always caught me. Then after my leg was all better, (about 5 months after the injury occurred), my Grandparents started letting me outside again. I don't live where the attack occurred anymore--that was where Mommy goes to college, and I now live with my Grandparents in a relatively safe neighborhood. I am fortunate that I live in a safe place where I can somewhat safely go outside. I know there are risks involved, but I'm not happy when I'm inside. I do have to stay inside at night though! And whenever I want to go inside to grab a bite to eat, someone is always there to open the door for me.
    I live indoors and outdoors too. Most of my time is spent inside. I know too well the dangers of the outdoors. When I was a kitten, I liked to nap behind the car tires, and Grandmaw accidentally ran over me one night! My hips were crushed and my right hind leg broken, and I had to spend three whole months in the vet's office getting better! Mommy was in high school at the time, and she would come straight to Dr. W.'s office every day after school to visit me every single day. Now I have a slight limp but I luckily healed without having to have any surgery. I spend most of my time inside. I go out for about an hour or two a day. 4 or 5 hours at the most. The rest of the time I'm in the safety of the home.
    I'm an indoors only kind of guy!! All my siblings (Lucky Boo, Sir Thomas, Dutch, and Luna) get to go outside sometimes but I never do. Mommy is very protective of me. Lucky Boo and I always live with Mommy and the rest of the gang stay with my Grandparents. That's why they get to go outside so much--my grandparents let them go out whenever they want to (except for nighttime, of course). I lived as a scavenger in a gas station parking lot. I was feral. Mommy caught me and we have been best friends ever since. Now I'm actually afraid to go outside! Sometimes I do get to spend 5-10 minutes outside, but only when Mommy and my Grandparents are outside too so they can watch over me! I've gone for a few stroller rides too, but that's going to take some more getting used to.
    Mom adopted me when I was 4 weeks old, and until I was 3, I never went outside. I'm crazy though, so when I started living more with my Grandparents, they started letting me go outside. I probably spend 10-15% of my time outdoors now. The rest of the time I am in the house. I am microchipped so if I ever get lost outside, hopefully I will be reunited with Mommy. When she gets out of college and gets her own place, I will be indoors only once again! That's what she says... we'll see about that. I am good at getting my way, and I like going outside.
  • Tricia ChudyTricia Chudy Linden /Jerry Springer doublewMember Posts: 11
    edited 16 September, 2006
    My sisters and I are all indoor kittys. Mom says that there are too many dangers for us--for example: getting hit by cars, dont have to worry as much for flea problems, or getting sick---but it did happen to me when someone carried in a virus in and I got sick...