Help! Our mouse died!!!

Beastie_and_the_BoysBeastie_and_the_Boys Marquette, MI / ChicagoMember Posts: 17,806 ✭✭✭
edited 30 January, 2006 in New to Catster/Tips & Tricks
This isn't about Catster, but it is about our computer and we thought we'd ask for help from all our feline friends who know or have humans who know about computers... The other night, our mouse quit working. The pointer is either frozen at the center of the screen or moves slowly to the upper right-hand corner and then stays there. Grandma just got us a new wireless optical mouse for Christmas, so originally we thought there was something wrong with it. Mommy unplugged it and plugged in the old corded marble mouse but it made no difference at all. The pointer doesn't move and left-clicking does nothing, but for some reason, right clicking seems to work because it pulls up the desktop properties menu. Mommy got out the CD-ROM that came with the wireless stuff and reinstalled all the software. It had no effect. She uninstalled and reinstalled the mouse driver. No effect. She restored our computer to a checkpoint from last week, before this problem began. No effect. She ran the troubleshooter and attempted to follow some of its suggestions. Unfortunately, it gives instructions like "click on (such and such)", and we were like, "And how do we do that when the mouse isn't working?!" D'oh! So we're using the keyboard to navigate and it's an even bigger pain than it should be because mommy splashed a little juice on it not too long ago and several keys, including the "Tab" key, tend to stick. So, when we're trying to tab to a link or icon that we need to open, the key gets stuck down and it zooms right past the link and so we wind up having to try over and over before it stops on the right link. Mommy tried plugging in an old keyboard but for some reason it doesn't want to work. So, we're stuck with the sticky one. Mommy says she's going to try going to the company's website and see if there are any updated drivers that to download, but we're doubtful that it will fix the problem since it was working fine with the old driver until just a couple of days ago. So....any suggestions?? BTW, we tried several times to restart the computer in "Safe" mode and can't get it to work. The way to do that with Windows 95, 98, and ME was to hold down the "Shift" key but that doesn't seem to work with XP. Does anycat know what we need to do for that?? Thanks in advance for all your help!! It is really appreciated. *cheekrubs*

Comments

• Beastie_and_the_BoysBeastie_and_the_Boys Marquette, MI / ChicagoMember Posts: 17,806 ✭✭✭
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Never mind, we fixed it! Turns out, it was actually the keyboard that was screwed up and it was affecting the mouse pointer. The dead mouse was just a symptom...
  • LeAnna WilkersonLeAnna Wilkerson Kansas CityMember Posts: 85 ✭✭
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Our mouse really did die last night. Mommy had to go to Target and buy a new one this morning. The old one was only moving up and down, so we had to navigate with the keyboard too. That's really hard to do!!! We're good now though. Mommy bought a wireless mouse, so now when she's not home Jasper and I can batt it around!! I can't wait! Glad your mommy got yours figured out! Riley ^..^
  • jen clarkjen clark StrongsvilleMember Posts: 1,099
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Oh boy... furr a minute there I thought we were going to have a feast eeeer, I mean a funeral for the mouse :: LICKS LIPS:: :: aaahhh, shucks:: Glad your problems are fixed though. Stinkin\' technology which I love dearly! Speaking of DEER--- WHERE\'S BEN? ::Bats Eyes::
  • cat shepherdcat shepherd KnoxvilleMember Posts: 6,314
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Saffy girl, you are tooooo funny! *giggles*