Weight loss needed for Multi-Cat Home

Giniene RaymondGiniene Raymond FultonvilleMember Posts: 673
edited 1 February, 2006 in Food & Nutrition
My sister Alexis is only 11 months old and has gained lots of weight the last 3 months. She is very stressed out due to our moving and has also been skittish since then, she is eating for comfort. Mom gives all 4 of us every morning and night 1/2 can (the little cans) each of ProPlan wet food. She keeps out ProPlan Weight Management Dry all day. It seems Alexis is always chowing down on it so Mom started only putting it during certain times a day but this is not working. When she does put it down, Lexie gorges on it. The rest of us are not happy that the dry is not there all day and we are not overweight like she is. Charlotte is actually 1/2 the size of Lexie and they are from the same litter! Mom is thinking a food change might help, another light dry food maybe one that will fill her up more (like high protein or something?). What would be the best dry food for a situation like this? Mom is so worried that Lexie will explode one day!

Comments

• Ace AtturaAce Attura NY DC and DEMember Posts: 87 ✭✭
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Ze solution -- do not free feed -- do not leave out food during the day. I should know..... I am a stressed out kitty - I wll NEVER forget living on the mean streets when I was younger and had to DEFEND my food. So if I am given a dish FULL of food I will NOT stop eating. Therefore Meowmie told me that I will have 2 meals a day with some treets once in a while, to keep me from gettin FADDER and FADDER (and my heart and livver and lungz will suffer if I get too much FADDER). If she is not going to be home in the evening to feed me, she leaves me a timed feeder that has 2 foodie dishes in it with KATFUD! The KATFUD dishes are under two covers that open after a certain amount of time, so I will not starve. Maybe she can put Alexis in a rume by herself with the timed foodie dishes (or no foodie dishes) for a while? Oops -- I DON\'T mean that you should starve her -- us cats can get major liver problems if our food is withheld for too long. If your Meowmie medditaits she could also hold Alexis when she medditaits and maybe Alexis will start to feel less stressed out. She can also give Alexis Bach Rescue Remedy (it might work, if not, it is harmless). Ack Ack to your kitties. Can I wressel with them? BBBT
  • Staci BowenStaci Bowen Member Posts: 10
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Free feeding is the only way to solve the problem. I was a fatty too, until Mom decided to only feed us twice a day. If everyone is thinks they're starving in the middle of the day, try feeding smaller meals three times a day instead of two larger meals. It worked for me- I was six when we changed over. I didn't much like it at first, but Mom only gave me my food for 10 minutes- After that it got taken away! I learned pretty quick.
  • Sarah WeedenSarah Weeden WinnipegMember Posts: 527
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Yes, you will want to stop free feeding and switch to high quality food. ProPLan is pretty low quality. Innova EVO is very high in protein and is grain free. I love it and it's the healthiest thing out there, in my mommy's opinion. Also, Natural Balance, Wellness and California Natural are great foods. ProPlan's Ingredients: Chicken, corn gluten meal, brewers rice, soybean meal, poultry by-product meal, whole grain corn, corn bran, fish meal, wheat flour, wheat gluten, beef tallow preserved with mixed tocopherols (source of vitamin E), phosphoric acid, egg product, brewers dried yeast, natural flavors, calcium carbonate, potassium chloride, salt, tetra sodium pyrophosphate, l-lysine monohydrochloride, choline chloride, vitamin A supplements (E, A, B12, D3), taurine, zinc sulfate, ferrous sulfate, ascorbic acid (source of vitamin C), l-alanine, riboflavin supplement, niacin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, biotin, thiamine mononitrate, folic acid, copper sulfate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, citric acid, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of vitamin K activity), calcium iodate, sodium selenite. Eeeewwwww!!!!!!! Innova EVO's Ingredients: Turkey Chicken Chicken Meal Herring Meal Potatoes Chicken Fat Egg Turkey Meal Natural Flavors Apples Carrots Tomatoes Cottage Cheese Dried Chicory Root Taurine Herring Oil Rosemary Extract Vitamins/Minerals Viable Naturally Occurring Microorganisms California Natural Chicken & Rice Ingredients: Chicken Chicken Meal Ground Brown Rice Chicken Fat Sunflower Oil Flaxseed Vitamins/Minerals Taurine Natural Balance Ultra Premium Ingredients: Chicken, Chicken Meal, Brown Rice, Duck, Lamb Meal, Potatoes, Chicken Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols, Vitamin E) Canola Oil, Oatmeal, Fish Meal, Brewers Yeast, Rosemary Extract, Dried Skimmed Milk, Natural Flavor, Dried Eggs, Carrots, Whole Ground Flaxseed, Kelp, DL Methionine, Dried Cranberries, Lecithin, Parsley Flakes, Tomato Pomace, Taurine, Zinc Sulfate, Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Vitamin A Acetate, Riboflavin, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Biotin, Vitamin C Supplement, Yucca Schidigera, Folic Acid, Copper Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Vitamin K Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Ethylene Dihydriodide, Sodium Selenite. Wellness Super5Mix Adult Ingredients: Deboned Chicken, Chicken Meal, Chicken Liver, Ground Brown Rice, Ground Whole Oats, Canola Oil (Preserved With Mixed Tocopherols & Rosemary), Cranberries, Blueberries, Flaxseed, Eggs, Peas, Taurine, Garlic, Alfalfa Leaf, Spirulina, Norwegian Kelp, Whole Apples, Zucchini, Sweet Potatoes, Yucca Schidigera, Chondroitin Sulfate, Glucosamine, Pro-Biotics (Lactobacillus Plantarum, Enterococcus Faecium, Lactobacillus Casei, Lactobacillus Acidophilus), Pre-Biotics (Mannanoligosaccharides), Beta-Carotene, Choline Chloride, Calcium Carbonate, Zinc Proteinate (A Chelated Source Of Zinc), Vitamin E Supplement, Zinc Oxide, Ferrous Sulfate, Iron Proteinate (A Chelated Source Of Iron), Manganese Proteinate (A Chelated Source Of Manganese), Calcium Pantothenate, Niacin Supplement, Sodium Selenite, Vitamin A Acetate, Folic Acid, Cobalt Proteinate (A Chelated Source Of Cobalt), Copper Sulfate, Cobalt Carbonate, Riboflavin Supplement (Vitamin B-2), Copper Proteinate (A Chelated Source Of Copper), Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B-1), Vitamin D-3 Supplement, Calcium Iodate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (Source Of Vitamin K Activity). ProPlan is like the worse food you could possibly get. Full of beaks, feathers, gluten, corn...uggh I can't go on.
  • Sally WrightSally Wright DenverMember Posts: 130 ✭✭
    edited 27 February, 2006
    We eat Evo here too. Because there aren't all the fillers, we eat less than we did of the other stuff that mom used to feed us (Friskies! EEWWWWW). Because it's so high in protein, you do have to watch your intake, because it can make you fat, but if you eat the right amount, it'll make you look GOOOOODDDD!!! They have a chart on the back that tells you how much to feed, so it's really easy. It took me a little while to get used to eating less though, so you should expect some resistance at first! Good luck!
  • Giniene RaymondGiniene Raymond FultonvilleMember Posts: 673
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Willow, I have a question since you are the nutrition expert. My mom was buying ProPlan because she believed it WAS a high quality food. She would never feed us supermarket brand foods, she thought that stuff was the "worst food you can possibly get". Why would ProPlan be in all of the Pet Supply stores with all of the other quality foods and be just as pricey as them? Mom has stopped free-feeding as much (the rest of us are very hungry, it is not fair!) and is in the process of mixing our familiar ProPlan with Nutro Max. She also bought Innova.
    edited 27 February, 2006
    You are definately not paying for what you get. Price just doesn\'t seem to matter this day and age. Chicken Soup for The Cat Lover\'s Soul is a quality food, but it\'s cheap. Just because it\'s pricey does not mean it\'s good. What makes it diguisting? It\'s ingredients! It\'s full of fillers (which would definately cause obesity), meat by-products (beaks, feathers, feet, eyeballs, etc. Anything un suitable for human constumption), soy, poultry(which could be anything from ostrich to road kill to parrot), etc. Innova is a great food and I\'m sure your cats will lover it!
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Thanks Willow. It is amazing what the pet supply stores can get away with to make you believe something is quality. Even our vets said that ProPlan was up there on quality, guess we learn something new every day.
    edited 27 February, 2006
    You're welcome Daphne--don't be surprised if your vet doesn't know anything about nutrition. Vets that sell products in their office (like mine sells Science Diet food ) get kickbacks from the food companies. It sucks that they sell and recommend poor quality food just for $$$, but it happens almost everywhere. IMO, your best bet is to read read read. Compare different ingredient lists, and go through the ingredients one by one to find out exactly what each is, what it's made of, how it's made, and how it will affect your cat. Then you can go on to build a list of acceptable/unacceptable ingredients and test different foods on your cat to find out which works the best. Willow
  • edited 27 February, 2006
    It\'s also important to note that vets don\'t usually receive much training in the area of nutrition. I believe mom was once told by a vet that they only recieve a two week course in nutrition and it\'s often taught by Hill\'s or Eukanuba. We honestly believe that a lot of vets don\'t know a lot about nutrition and that\'s why they recommend some of the big name low quality products. Companies like Hills, Purina and the like put a lot of money into offering neat incentives for vets to carry and recommend their products. They buy offices lunch, give them cash benefits and go so far as to offer free bags of dog and cat food to the staff. So it\'s easy to see why Purina, Iams, SD ect. is pushed by a lot of vets.
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Thank you Xavier too! When Mom first got Candy, she asked the vet what to feed her. The vet was pushing Science Diet and gave mom a sample. Then mom went next door to the pet supply store and the girl there told mom that ProPlan was better than Science Diet. That's why she has been buying that stuff all this time for us. We are loving the Nutro though! Next we try the Innova in a few more days because mom doesn't want to give us too many new foods all at once.
  • Rebekka BrosemerRebekka Brosemer EmporiaMember Posts: 45
    edited 27 February, 2006
    How long will it take to start to see results? Mom feeds us twice a day now and we each get 1/3 of a cup at each meal. Once the food is gone we don't eat again until the evening. Mom is gone all day since she goes to school and teaches, so if we are hungry it's just too bad. Mom just isn't seeing me getting any thinner! We've been doing this for two months and nothing seems to be changing. Mom has also started cleaning my rear end with baby wipes. Thank you to whomever suggested that in the grooming section. It will so nice to clean my own rear and not have mom holding me down to do it.
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Nefi, I don't know but it has been a week and mom is not sure if she is hallucinating but she thinks Alexis' BIG butt seems the teeniest bit smaller! Is this possible?
  • jackie mileskijackie mileski PhillyMember Posts: 1
    edited 27 February, 2006
    About Innova EVO. I would love to try this with Mr. Buster... as his \"peanutbutter belly\" is getting a bit chubbles. After doing a little bit of internet research I found it is only sold in a \"restricted\" area. I am not quite sure what the restricted area is. We live in Philadelphia, PA ... anyone on this area maybe know anything about the availability of this cat food? And does anyone know why it would be restriced to certain states? Thanks a lot!!
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Budter, we have never heard about it being sold in restricted areas so we wouldn't know about that. If you go to www.naturapet.com, they have a store finder link to Evo. Maybe you can find it in your area that way. Good luck.
  • Danielle ThompsonDanielle Thompson Upper DarbyMember Posts: 11
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Hi, I just want to thank everyone for all of the advice, I\'m so glad I came across these posts! I have been wondering how to get my two boys to lose some weight and I felt bad about stoping their unlimited supply of dry food. I talked to my veterinary nutrition teacher tonight too and she agrees that it is time to limit their dry food. I really appreciate all of the suggestions, I will be going healty cat food shopping this weekend! Thanks again!!