Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

Extremely Finicky!!

KE McCormackKE McCormack SeattleMember Posts: 236
edited 24 April, 2006 in Food & Nutrition
Our mama says we are both extremely finicky eaters! She is pretty frustrated. She has fed us Natural Choice wet foods, Avoderm Cat/Kitten dry (chicken) food (Pixel will eat that), and Fancy Feast (we've tried many flavors). We've also had IAMS Chicken With Wild Rice. We tolerated that (badly) for awhile, but now she can't find it. Our v-e-t (ooogh) is a diplomate DVM in kitty medicine, and only sees kitties. He told her that he wants us to eat mostly wet (canned) food, because the latest research says that is healthier for us, and more naturally replicates being a Real Cat. He ALSO told her he doesn't want us to have very much tuna, because of all the concerns about high mercury content (in BOTH kitty and human tuna, everywhere). Well guess what?? ALL the flavors we like have tuna. We don't like anything with any kind of beef or chicken. We tolerate salmon and other fish less and less. It's pretty much down to the Natural Choice foods (with tuna) or the Fancy Feast foods (with tuna, or at least with ocean fish -- and who knows what that means!) Our mom is really frustrated. She puts out food, and we look at her like she has three heads (filled with air). She leaves it, and tells us she's not playing that game -- and 24 hours later it's sitting there dried up and crumbly. We're winning!! (Except maybe not. Because we keep telling her we Want SOMETHING ELSE!) Please, please help our mama -- if you have any ideas. Thanks.

Comments

• edited 27 February, 2006
    What about a short-term compromise? She could mix a little fish-tasting catfood in with whatever she wants you to eat. (I\'m not talking about tuna meant for humans, but something that contains seafood but is intended for kitties.) Over the course of a few days, she could decrease the amount of fish stuff and increase the amount of what you should be eating. Maybe you\'ll develop a taste for the better food.
    Have you tried any of Merrick's canned food? They have a flavor called 'new england clam boil' which in my opinion is very tasty. It's really smelly too so mom has found that some picky cats enjoy it. *coughs* Except for Alanna..... *coughs*
  • KE McCormackKE McCormack SeattleMember Posts: 236
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Thanks to you both for your replies. Our mama is really desperate! (Isn't that the game, anyhow?) She will try the food mixing thing. Xavier, she doesn't know Merricks -- it sounds good -- where do you get it??
  • Sally WrightSally Wright DenverMember Posts: 130 ✭✭
    edited 27 February, 2006
    oooooh, Merrick's is REALLY good! And it's one of the few brands that our feed store will carry, cuz they're really picky about what they sell (they also sell Innova and a few other brands that I can't remember - NOT Iams or Science Diet). There aren't any flavors that we dont' like! hehe Grammy's Pot Pie is pretty nummy, and so are all the fish ones. YUM YUM!!!
    If you go to Merrick's website, they have a store locator so hopefully you can find a store near you that carries it. Merrick
  • Karen LeeKaren Lee The kingdom of Mer-lotMember Posts: 89,020
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Maybe this link will help: http://www.catinfo.org/ There is a part about making your own RAW diet but most of the site is about commcerical cat food.
  • KE McCormackKE McCormack SeattleMember Posts: 236
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Wow! So many kind ideas!!! Our mama is copying them so she can try to find those foods. (She's never seen a feed store in Seattle, though, so thanks for the website suggestion, too!) She says she too chicken (ha-ha) to try raw food. She had a client who was giving raw food to her dog, and the dog got salmonella. Fortunately that dog is OK!! Thank you so much!! Mama says, "Believe me -- We need all the ideas we can get!!!!!!!!!!"
  • Sally WrightSally Wright DenverMember Posts: 130 ✭✭
    edited 27 February, 2006
    The feed store that we go to is more of a private pet store than a large animal feed store. They have lots of fish for sale and stuff like that, as well as having alot of really good food for kitties and doggies. If you look on the Innova website, there's a place where you can see what stores near you sell it. I'm sure that in a big city like that, there are plenty of places that carry it, as well as other really good brands of food like Merrick and Wellness. Here's the link for Innova, and someone posted the link for Merrick above. http://www.naturapet.com/display.php?d=home-tab
  • Juniper LedenicanJuniper Ledenican SeattleMember Posts: 6
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Ohhh there are places you can buy Merrick in Seattle. There are many small pet stores (smaller than Petco) that carry the brand. I love the stuff too!
  • Marcia HarlanMarcia Harlan San DiegoMember Posts: 2
    edited 17 April, 2006
    Hi Finicky Kitties, My mom feeds us a wide variety of foods (Whiskas, Friskies, deli meats, etc.) and recently happened upon a new kind of food. Of course the more expensive the better for us to reject, but my cranky old roommate Godzilla and I do enjoy some of it. I\'m a gourmet and prefer real (human) food, but the new crunchy food (Vitality formula) is quite good. She sprinkles \"Add Life\" powder on our other food and it tastes OK. Here\'s the website for you to read and see what you think - http://www.wysong.net Dr. Wysong is a vet and has a bunch of info on there about cats and dogs needing more natural food, not kitty granola all the time. I can tell you that I MUCH prefer real meat to cheap cereal. And treats - can\'t forget the treats! Good Luck - Pearly Pierre
  • Denise GraysonDenise Grayson BothellMember Posts: 2,468
    edited 24 April, 2006
    Hi, I am a finicky eater too...or should I say beyond picky. If you tolerate salmon you may want to try purina pro plan salmon and ocean white fish. I am not sure about the other brands of the soft cat food but pro plan offers the different flavors in a different variety of textures. They have it in ground, in sauce, flake and classic. Mom knew I loved the dried food in salmon and rice so she bought a can of pro plan salmon in each of the different forms and I told her later that I would only eat the soft food if it was in classic form. The classic is like a pureed texture. I don\'t like anything that has oils, gravy or looks like table scraps. So if your mom knows what flavor you will eat she may want to try different forms of that flavor to see if you prefer one over the other. P.S. I like tuna too but only if it is the human tuna that has been packed in spring water.