Help us Decide.

Tabitha Smith-ElliottTabitha Smith-Elliott Gainesville/Hall County, GAMember Posts: 11,582
edited 17 April, 2006 in Food & Nutrition
I keep reading more and more about Evo. Here on catster and other places. Is this the BEST catfood out there? We have been eating Nutro Natural Choice for over a yr and have had excellent results with it. Any comments or comparisons of the two? Should we switch? Is Evo that much better or is there an even better food available?

Comments

• Deb O'NeillDeb O'Neill PerkasieMember Posts: 8,659
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Hi Sweetie! This site sells many premium foods. Mom looked at each one, especially the ingredients. http://www.premiumfoodsonline.com/site/972764/page/431165 Other than a raw diet, which Dad was wary of, Mom thinks Innova Evo is the best. We can\'t afford it, though. Her second choice is felidae, which we just started eating. It\'s okay, but we like Purino Pro Plan better! (Mom says we\'ll be fine once we\'re used to it) We have to order it over the internet and found a HUGE difference in shipping charges! We buy our food at www.petfooddirect.com.
  • edited 27 February, 2006
    Sweetie, the more we learn about catfoods, the more we come to believe that there is no perfect food. I eat Evo now. I\'ve eaten Nutro Natural, too, and I never had a problem with it. It\'s just that grains make me barf. Let me give you my breakdown on Evo. Pluses: High protein from animal sources; doesn\'t contain corn, wheat, food dyes or other things that make me barf; eat less, poop less, lose weight. Minuses: Crazy expensive; contains weird ingredients like vegetables, which humans like to see but cats don\'t need; some cats experience diarrhea when transitioning to it because they refuse their old food. Innova\'s website has a tool that lets you compare ingredient lists of different foods side-by-side. Maybe that would be worth checking out. Edited because that website is looking weird. Just click the tab that says \"tools\" and that will take you to a normal page.
    I think it\'s quite obvious how I feel...... *points to his motto* But since not everyone is comfortable with that method of feeding, EVO would be my second choice as it\'s grain free and I don\'t feel grains have a place in our diet. Third choice would be Merrick canned.
  • Sarah WeedenSarah Weeden WinnipegMember Posts: 527
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I personally think Innova EVO is the best food out there, besides a raw diet, which my mom is unable to feed me. My doggie sister and I both eat Innova EVO and love it. May better than Nutro NC in my opinion.
  • Giniene RaymondGiniene Raymond FultonvilleMember Posts: 673
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Our Mom just found out *DUH* that ProPlan isn't all what the vet and pet supply store said it is. She bought us Nutro and Innova, trying the Nutro first. We are all super finicky and so far we are loving the Nutro. She has been mixing it with the ProPlan, gradually decreasing the amount of ProPlan we are getting and we are gobbling it up. Haven't tried the Innova yet but Mom is thinking of just using both for us if we like that too.
  • Tabitha Smith-ElliottTabitha Smith-Elliott Gainesville/Hall County, GAMember Posts: 11,582
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Wow! Thankyou to all. I will definately check out the websites you have recommended. Sophie - Thanks alot for the comparison chart. We will be checking that out first! Alex - I too vomit most foods, but have been OK with Nutro. Rarely do I get sick now. Maybe I have a grain allergy?? If thats the case, then maybe Evo would be the better choice. I\'ll have to look into the cost of Evo - since there is 13 of us!! I thought Nutro was pricey. Is it a whole lot more expensive than Nutro? Xav - with so many of us, raw is just out of the question. I\'m sure glad you get to enjoy it though. Willow - thanks for your input. Must be good stuff. *smiles* Daphne - I havent ever tried ProPlan but have heard from our vet that its not all its cracked up to be.
    My human pays $16 for a 6.6-lb bag of EVO. We eat less than we did when we were on Nutro. That helps but it\'s still pretty expensive. Innova makes another food called California Natural which is a limited-ingredient food. If EVO disappeared tomorrow or our financial situation changed, this is the food that I would switch to. It doesn\'t have the extremely high protein content of EVO, but it has good ingredients and no wheat, corn, or other common allergens. I just found it online for $27 for a 16.5-lb bag.
    Well if it's price your concerned about, Chicken Soup is a pretty good food and it's fairly inexpensive. If my memory serves me correctly, it's about 18-19$ for an 18 pound bag. http://www.chickensoupforthepetloverssoul.com/
  • Sue KaufmannSue Kaufmann CranfordMember Posts: 1,465
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Hi, Sweetie! I eat raw food like Xav, but when the human runs out or wants to give me a little variety, she gives me PetGuard. The vet recommended it for me because it has good ingredients and is very digestible. I get the canned because I once had bladder problems, but they also make dry food. You can find it in places like Whole Foods Market, and some health food stores carry it, too. I\'ve also seen it listed on some of the cat food store webpages.
  • Tabitha Smith-ElliottTabitha Smith-Elliott Gainesville/Hall County, GAMember Posts: 11,582
    edited 27 February, 2006
    No price isnt a big concern. You guys were just saying Evo was pricey and I didnt want you to mean like $30 for a 5 pound bag or something!! heehee Thankyou once again for all your helpful info. I really appreciate it!
  • Shannon BernardShannon Bernard Allegany Co.Member Posts: 269
    edited 27 February, 2006
    We pay I think $35 for a 15# bag. That's what mom pays for 30# of dog kibble! So in the relative sense, it's pretty pricey. But if you only have a one or two cat household and you also use wet food, like we do, a 15# bag goes a long, long way. Mom feels that buying canned foods is what really puts a hurtin on the wallet.
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Sweetie, be careful with a food change since there are so many of you. We all have nasty diarrhea now due to the food change. Mom has stayed at 1/4 ProPlan and 3/4 Nutro Max for now instead of changing it to all Nutro Max until the diarrhea goes away. With 13 kitties, *pinching nose with paw* phewwwww!
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Thanks Lucy & Daphne. Yes, Warm does feed us canned every other day. The cans can get costly but then again it helps the dry last longer. :) heehee Daphne - good point. Warm knows to be very careful whenever you switch foods. But thankyou for reminding us!! Your too funny!! *holding nose* heehee Xav - Dont be silly!! You didnt offend me at all! Warm just wishes she could feed us raw, but with so many of us. Aaaaaaaaaak! *laughs*
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Another question. Where do you buy Evo from? I dont think I have ever seen it in PetsMart or any other pet store around here.
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Lemur, my mom got the Evo from a pet supply store that is 2 hours away from us but she found out that feed stores sell it also. Don't know if you live in a rural or suburban area but if you do, most feed stores sell it or can order it for you. You can also go to the Innova website, www.naturapet.com, they have a store finder link.
  • Shannon BernardShannon Bernard Allegany Co.Member Posts: 269
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Lemur, many places don't stock it, but start with a search for dealers on the innova website. Then even if you find a dealer who sells Innova but not Evo, they will probably be willing to order Evo for you. I did this with a small local place and although he doesn't stock the food, he had a whole bunch of samples and gave me about 3 pounds of dry food to test out. We love it, by the way.
  • Molly ShepherdMolly Shepherd FrankfortMember Posts: 25
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Sweetie, if you had digestive problems and don\'t now, maybe you should stick with what is working! :) I eat Nutro dry and Merrick canned, and my intermittent vomiting (mommie loved that!) has all but disappeared. My coat is also nice and shiny and that embarrassing dandruff problem is no more! FYI-I switched from Science Diet and PetGuard Mommie says good luck with your food choice; remember that we have to feed the best food we can afford! It\'s so confusing to pick a food with all those choices out there, but I think as long as the ingredient list is up to par (there are lots of threads on this), then you can feel good about your choice. Just caring enough to read the ingredients is a huge bonus for you!!!
  • Megan NelsonMegan Nelson Member Posts: 189
    edited 27 February, 2006
    We've tried EVO and liked it a lot. Mom has a lot of critters to feed and so we eat a mix of Maxximum Nutrition and Nature's Variety. She hopes that one day we can eat just NV like the doggies do but for now it works for us. Mom has been thinking about mixing Maxx with EVO though. Rascal
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Thankyou to all for all your advice. Any more comments are welcome.
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Have you made any decision yet, Sweetie? Mom would like us to eat Innova Evo, but we can't afford it.
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Hi Sophie!! *waves happily* No definate decision yet, but Warm is leaning towards switching us gradually to Evo. The more we have learned about Evo, it seems to be the better choice. Although Nutro has been great for us so far. Thanks for checking on me though!! *smiles*
    Switching gradually is a great idea, but it can be hard to make that happen. When we switched to EVO, Mom mixed it with Nutro (which is what we had been eating). We scooped the Nutro out of the dish and spread it around the kitchen floor to help Mom understand that we weren\'t going to eat that anymore. If you look back through this forum, a lot of kitties have done something similar and there have been complaints of diarrhea after switching to EVO. I haven\'t thought of a good work-around for that. Maybe it would be better to introduce EVO in different dishes and a different place than normal meals. Then it would seem more like \"treat\" than \"meal\" and make kitties less likely to refuse the food that they are switching from.
    edited 27 February, 2006
    You're so smart Alex. *grins*
    *blush*
    Digestive enzymes are a really good thing to add to your diet if you are changing diets and are worried about digestive upsets. The enzymes help to ease your digestive system onto the new food and may prevent digestive mishaps. As an added bonus, the enzymes help you digest and absorb nutrients better from fat and protein.
    edited 27 February, 2006
    What are digestive enzymes? How does one buy something like that??
    Here\'s a link that can explain what they are and what they do Digestive Enzymes You can purchase them in vitamin shops, natural health food stores and they make brands specifically for cats and dogs so you can buy them through some pet stores and online pet sites. The only brand we can vouch for is Prozyme and if you go to their web page, you can order a free sample of the stuff. Mom used this when she was changing our diet and the dogs too. She stopped giving it to us a few weeks after the diet change but for cats who eat a commercial diet, it\'s benefical because we have a hard time digesting a lot of the ingredients in the food.
  • Kelly GrahamKelly Graham Montreal, ArundelMember Posts: 89
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I eat Iams food- but switch the type occasionally. They usually just mix the bags in the big plastic bin of my food. I never got sick or stopped eating, but is it bad to switch types all the time? I'm just a pig and tend to eat anything that's in the bowl... so I never thought about it before.
    Sophie, you may want to consider Premium Edge Healthy Weight Formula. It\'s not grain-free like EVO, but the protein content is similar. This would probably be my second choice after EVO and the prices I\'ve seen for it are considerably less. Lucy, IMO, it\'s good to change foods once in a while. It teaches you to be flexible about what you eat. The petfood companies sometimes make changes to their formulas. If you\'re not used to eating different things, you might go on a hunger strike instead of taking that in stride.
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Hey, Alex, thanks for the advice. There is a pet food place in our town that sells it. We'll check it out.