Weight loss

edited 9 March, 2006 in Food & Nutrition
My mommy says me and my sisters need to lose some weight. I went to the vet the other day and weighed in at 16lbs!! We used to eat Purina Vitality before my mom switched us to Innova Evo. She decided to take us off Innova Evo because we were peeing ALOT and drinking tons of water. So now we are eating Pet Promise Weight Control. My mom wants to know if just the food will help us lose weight. She tries to play with us, but we are too good for toys. We prefer a nice nap in the sun, I mean doesn't every cat?? Any advice!

Comments

• Ellie(Elinore) ClarkEllie(Elinore) Clark Member Posts: 9,364
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Samie, I too have to lose weight-was 16 pounds and now 14 and a half. My vet said I am older-8 years- but that I should not be eating canned food plus my Iames dry. Don't know if this helps, but I understand you problem. He said I had high lipids,etc. so that is not good. Hope something works for you-boy I love to eat that wet stuff! Meow Sparky PS I get tired of everyone saying I am so fat. My family doesn't think so either, but for my health, they are trying to cut me back.
  • mailani hornmailani horn san pedroMember Posts: 173
    edited 27 February, 2006
    if you need to lose weight your mom needs to control the amount of food you are eating every day, no free feeding. i eat twice a day, a half a can of natural balance wet food in the morning and the other half at night. i only weigh 7 lbs so you will need more but really it is not just about cutting back the quantity but also the quality of food. if you just eat a little bit of junk food everyday you will be alot fatter than if you ate alot of healthy food everyday. cats cannot digest carbs. the way dogs can so make sure your food has no grains or corn in it as fillers and that meat is the first ingredient and never any by-products.
  • Niki MattsonNiki Mattson St. PaulMember Posts: 20,360
    edited 4 March, 2006
    Yeah, portion control is good. Mommy used to fill up my dish so I would never see the bottom! Even though I am a big breed, I had a lot of belly fat. So, Mom put me on Iams Weight Control, and gives me only 1/3 cup daily. Now, people have been commenting how I've lost some weight! And the bowl of food lasts me all day, so I can go back and nibble whenever I want, although I do see the bottom of the bowl. Mommy has been surprised, lately, how, when she goes to feed me, there is still a little food left!
  • Maureen O'ReillyMaureen O'Reilly Member Posts: 1,518
    edited 9 March, 2006
    Another good brand for dieting that I used to be on is Iams.
  • edited 9 March, 2006
    Sammy, here's a link from one of our favorite sites. If you scroll down a bit, it explains a little bit about feline obesity as well as the overall nutritional needs of a cat. Catinfo/CommonProblems