Can we eat beef liver as part of our raw diet?

Veronica NieburVeronica Niebur Member Posts: 49
edited 6 April, 2006 in Food & Nutrition
Hi everyone!! Its been awhile! Things have been hectic. I got a blocked bladder and spent all week at the hospital but I am much better now. Now mommas more convinced than ever we should be on raw food, shes pretty sure all that was happening because of the junk food we used to get. Now we are all on raw cept Tiwaz. He is so stubborn but mom fed him some beef and he liked that. Guess he thinks hes to good for chopped chicken and should have filets everyday or something. Anywho mom wants to know if us cats can eat beef liver sometimes? Also she is a fanatic now reading everything she can find about holistic health and natural food. She is opening a cat based buisness soon and plans on helping other kitty moms learn about this stuff too! By the way dont come to sunny Florida anytime soon cause its freezing down here! We are glad we are safe and warm indoors. Bye for now and thanks for the info! Loud Purrrrrs

Comments

• edited 27 February, 2006
    According to Michelle Bernard, the author of \'Raising Cats Naturally\' it\'s best to stick with chicken, rabbit or even game bird livers as it\'s more species appropriate than beef is. Although, if you dislike other types of liver and won\'t eat them, then it\'s best to eat beef liver than have to rely on supplements to give you what you are missing by not eating it. If your mom can source it, try and get organic liver as the animal has not been given antibiotics or fed animal by-products. We HIGHLY recommend Ms. Bernard\'s book if you\'re mom is looking to change your lifestyles to a more natural way of living. It has a lot of great information on raw feeding as well as homeopathy, vaccines, litter ect. BTW, did your poop problem clear up?
  • Veronica NieburVeronica Niebur Member Posts: 49
    edited 27 February, 2006
    HEhe! (embarrased) Yep Thanks for askin. I will tell mom about that book too. She just boughtThe New Natural cat and has been busy reading. Thanks for the advice!
  • SterlingAndTheSTeamSterlingAndTheSTeam Mount OliveMember Posts: 41,262 ✭✭✭
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Hi, Loki! Just strolling through and happened to see your thread. Way back in the 60\'s & 70\'s mom\'s cat, Scamp, ate only beef liver. Mind you, that was probably before so much antibiotics and chemicals they feed the cattle now. But raw beef liver was all Scamp would eat. Scamp was 13 when he went to the Rainbow Bridge.
  • Shannon BernardShannon Bernard Allegany Co.Member Posts: 269
    edited 27 February, 2006
    We\'re just rookies to the raw food thing and progressing slowly, but just as I feel that feeding a cat some low quality canned food is superior than a diet of nothing but dry food--feeding beef liver, if that\'s all the cat will accept, is better than not feeding raw at all. It is funny though, we switch to raw to give our cats a more natural diet, that they might catch themselves in the wild.....then we feed them parts of a COW. Just picture domesticated house kitty riding around with her claws sunk into a cow hide, wondering when that darn bovine will tire out... Sorry, got a little off track there :)
  • edited 27 February, 2006
    Hehehehe How many cats would it take to bring down a cow? *looks to his siblings and lifts a brow* This is why when you read about raw feeding for cats, they recommend feeding chicken, turkey, game birds and rabbit over beef, lamb, pork ect. because their nutritional make up is closer to a mouse, what we\'d be eating if we found ourselves out on our own. We still hold the belief(like you Ruby) that some raw is better than no raw. I would also like to note for other cats reading this and may be getting the wrong idea... Organ meat is only supposed to make up 1/6 of our diet so liver only actually makes up a small part of the diet. You\'d certainly not want to make liver the basis of your diet since it doesn\'t contain all the nutrients we need.
  • Pokey K-Pokey K- Shepherdstown/Charles TownMember Posts: 23
    edited 28 February, 2006
    No raw piggy! Whatever you choose, I would suggest NEVER giving your cat raw pork of any kind. (Cooked pork is okay.) Based on natural bacteria present in different animals, raw pig is not appropriate for cats. Raw pork isn't guaranteed to make a cat sick, but it's better not to play your chances!
  • edited 28 February, 2006
    Penelope, Are you refering to trichinosis in pork or just that pork will make you ill in general because of the high saturated fat content? We do not eat pork(we'll happily stick with our chicken and turkey and the occasional rabbit) but we have several feline friends who eat pork without a problem. Please explain further! We'd love to hear it
  • Celeste EvansCeleste Evans HobartMember Posts: 181
    edited 10 March, 2006
    Hi there I don't know how many cats it takes to bring down a cow, but one night I got out the door and ran after a full grown male kangaroo! My mum and dad would REALLY like to know what I would have done if I had caught it! They say it's lucky for me he hopped away very fast, but I say lucky for HIM!
  • edited 10 March, 2006
    *giggles* Oh my! That must have been a sight to see! How big is a kangeroo anyhow? I've only seen them in pictures.
  • Liselot DriessenLiselot Driessen MiddelburgMember Posts: 4
    edited 6 April, 2006
    My mommy says that here in Europe they tell you never to feed pork because it can be contaminated with the Aujeszky virus, and if a cat or dog gets that it's a guaranteed death ! Even though the Netherlands are officially Aujeszki free, our mommy isn't taking any chances on it, so no pork for us. (except for Flynn, who manages to steal some ham from daddy's sandwiches from time to time)
  • Celeste EvansCeleste Evans HobartMember Posts: 181
    edited 6 April, 2006
    Hi Alanna! The kangaroos I chased were probably just over a metre high.... but they can get to around 1.5m or more (the Western Grey). I guess that might be about 5 feet? I think other species can get to maybe 2m max? (Red Kangaroo is the biggest)
  • shelby gomasshelby gomas elmaMember Posts: 19
    edited 6 April, 2006
    Of course you can...you are absolutely in the right direction when your plate is filled with raw food. It is what you were meant to eat but do not throw caution to the wind by forgetting to add the rest of the things that are essential for a proper feline diet. You could try going to www.catnutrition.org and talking to the hostess with the mostess Anne. Anne\'s site is well researched and well informed and a treasure to all cats looking for good health...just tell her the shelbinators sent you........
    edited 6 April, 2006
    Of course you can...you are absolutely in the right direction when your plate is filled with raw food. It is what you were meant to eat but do not throw caution to the wind by forgetting to add the rest of the things that are essential for a proper feline diet. You could try going to www.catnutrition.org and talking to the hostess with the mostess Anne. Anne\'s site is well researched and well informed and a treasure to all cats looking for good health...just tell her the shelbinators sent you........
    edited 6 April, 2006