Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

Ideal Kitten Weight

Michelle KohMichelle Koh HoustonMember Posts: 24
edited 13 February, 2006 in Food & Nutrition
My vet says that I'm at a healthy weight for my age but my mommy is still worried because she thinks I eat too much. At what age did your parents stop giving you as much food as you wanted to eat? Is there such a thing as a kitten becoming overweight?

Comments

• edited 27 February, 2006
    Yes, it\'s possible for a kitten to be a little chubster but we do tend to need to eat quite a bit since we\'re growing like weeds and we\'re major energy burning machines! If your vet feels that your weight is good then your mom shouldn\'t worry although..... If your mom is still concerned with your food intake there are a couple things for her to think about. One would be to have a stool checked for worms if you haven\'t already and two would be to examine the diet you eat. You\'re more apt to eat more of a low quality food because they are loaded with fillers and by-products your body has no use for. Often these ingredients are put into the food as a cheap source of protein and fiber. Not good! A lot of cat parents(ours included) notice that a cat will eat less when they can properly use the ingredients that make up their diet... Things you\'ll find in a high quality brand of food or in a species appropriate diet.
  • Michelle KohMichelle Koh HoustonMember Posts: 24
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Thanks for your info! Is Purina Kitten Chow dry food not good enough? I am aware there are other higher-quality foods out there but I thought Purina was a well-known quality brand as well...
  • edited 27 February, 2006
    No Purina Kitten Chow is not a good food. In fact, I wouldn't qualify any product that Purina puts out as being good or high quality. I can explain why. If you look at the ingredients on the bag(or box) and can understand what they really mean you'll see why Purina Kitten Chow is not a good food. To start with the first ingredient is poultry by-product meal which is a cheap protein source and not very digestible to us cats. What actually makes up poultry by-products vary and it can include heads, feet intestines, beaks, ect. When you see this on a label, don't think whole plump chicken breast meat has gone into making up the food. It's the exact opposite. Next ingredient: Brewers rice. A lot of pet food companies would like lead you to believe that brewers rice is a high quality ingredient. Unfortunatly, like many things they'd like you to think, it's not the truth. The AAFCO definition of brewers rice is small milled fragments of rice kernels that have been separated from the larger kernels of milled rice. Basically it's processed rice that now lacks most of the nutrients it had before processing. Corn gluten meal: Believe it or not, this is considered a protein source. A very cheap one at that. It's main purpose though is to bind the food together. The fact that it's the third ingredient on the list is another indication that this is a poor quality food. Soy flour: Another ingredient that has lost most of it's nutritional content from processing. Beef tallow: A source of fat that's often used to make the food more appealing to the animal. Another cheap ingredient pet food companies use in place of something that would be better suited. Fish meal: Since the term 'meal' isn't very specific you can't possibly know what kind of fish or even the quality of the fish went into the food. I think another thing to note that aside from the poor quality of these ingredients, this food contains a lot of things us cats have little or no use for. Things like wheat flour and brewers rice have no place in a carnivore's diet and that's what we are. If your mom is interested in learning more about what goes into commercial pet food, we highly suggest she read 'Food Pets Die For' by Ann Martin. Hope this helps explain things a little better!