Stinky Bum!

Jessica WebsterJessica Webster CalgaryMember Posts: 14
edited 7 June, 2006 in Grooming
Meow! My name is Pixel and ever since Mommy got me, I\'ve had a very stinky bum! I manage to clean the rest of me, and I try to clean my bum, but Mommy says I stink! Once there was blood in my stool, and Mommy took me to the vet, who said that it was normal for kittens to have that. I\'m just concerned because my new brother doesn\'t smell like that and he\'s two months younger than I am. He\'s a VERY cleanly cat though. My Mommy bought this spray that you rub on, it cleans off surface dirt, and it smells like baby powder, but I don\'t like it very much. Is this smell something that Mommy should be worried about?

Comments

• Charity JonesCharity Jones Valencia, San Fernando Valley,Member Posts: 423
    edited 11 March, 2006
    Pixel, are you getting poo stuck on the hair around your bum or is it your actual bum that is getting stinky? When I was younger, I would get poo stuck in my tail & around my booty. Mom & dad started keeping my fur really short around my bum & trimmed my tail. Now, I don't seem to have a problem & have grown all my hair back! (thank God)
  • Teri SextonTeri Sexton Member Posts: 7,987
    edited 12 March, 2006
    Sometimes it is food related. Purina Pro Indoor Cat Formula is supposed to help reduce odor. Some of our cats have a smelly bottom, and some do not. I doesn't seem to differ between boy or girl, or long hair or short. There is no visible "poo". Our fat cat Riley sometimes has "crusty butt", because the poor guy cannot reach very well! We excuse him for it...
  • Beastie_and_the_BoysBeastie_and_the_Boys Marquette, MI / ChicagoMember Posts: 17,806 ✭✭✭
    edited 12 March, 2006
    A lot of cats get diarrhea and gas when their diet is changed abruptly. If you're eating different food than before you were adopted, you might still be adjusting. Dairy products can cause gas and diarrhea, too, since most cats are lactose intolerant. I had a problem before with an infected anal gland, and that caused some smell and blood. I'm surprised your vet didn't check on that.
  • Jessica WebsterJessica Webster CalgaryMember Posts: 14
    edited 12 March, 2006
    Thank you lovely kitties for your helpful responses! There is no visible poo around my bum, I seem to be able to keep that under control. When I was adopted, the lady that had me before was feeding me the whiskas pouches. When I had the blood in my stool, the vet suggested that my Mommy get me something different. She buys me Nutro Max Cat for indoor kitties. The odor of my poo has gone down significantly, but when Mommy pets me and I turn around, she tells me that my rear end is less than pleasant! The vet did check my anal glands, and stuck a thermometer in there too, the vet saw no signs of infection and had said that I had likely strained too hard, or had a little fissure in there. The blood went away shortly after that, but the smell did not. My Mommy loves me anyways and still gives me lots of love! She's just curious if other kitties are like that.
  • Patricia HodgePatricia Hodge WatertownMember Posts: 14,819
    edited 12 March, 2006
    usually odor comes with poo on the bum, a few times I got some stuck in my heavey fur, and I run around like a crazy woman, I not like it on me and I like it even less when moms takes it.. if your poo is a little smelly then your bum may carry the scent for a while.. so I would think maybe you had just been to the litter, tell your mom stay clear if you just got out of the litter,, give you a chance to air off, these humans,,, really,,, they aren't a carnation either... Bluie
  • edited 12 March, 2006
    My name is pookie and my bum is stinky because my owner **** the living hell out of me! BARK! MOO!!!!
  • Tabitha Smith-ElliottTabitha Smith-Elliott Gainesville/Hall County, GAMember Posts: 11,582
    edited 13 March, 2006
    There was another thread like this one that had alot of helpful info on it. I cannot remember if it was in Cat Health or here. You could look back at the other pages of threads in both sections. Maybe you could get a few more helpful hints. Just a thought.
  • Amanda FlanneryAmanda Flannery Redford, HollyMember Posts: 29
    edited 14 March, 2006
    hmmm. your hair looks too short for crusty bum syndrome, but nobody mentioned milk.... Your mom doesn't spoil you with cow milk does she? Mine does it to me all the time because I just gobble it down! Everyone tells her not to do it, but I'm not loveable enough for anyone to notice the terrible gas and it doesn't give me the runs, either. Bunni likes to visit because she gets it too. Her mom gets mad, though. Glad I don't live with her. It's soooo yummy!
  • Tabitha Smith-ElliottTabitha Smith-Elliott Gainesville/Hall County, GAMember Posts: 11,582
    edited 14 March, 2006
    Here's the thread I was talking about. Maybe you can find some useful info there. http://www.catster.com/forums/thread.php?t=269753
  • jennifer viscontijennifer visconti queensMember Posts: 2,157
    edited 15 March, 2006
    One last thought on the stinky heiny....I was adopted and mommy didn't know that I had worms! On my first check up the vet discovered them (eeewwwwww) that had a lot to do with what we call skinka butt....But - it still happens a lot because I eat all kinds of food- anything and everything (it's really not allowed, but I eat everything my parents eat) So, if your vet gave you the ok for worms, etc...you probably just have special kitten butt like me!
  • Jessica WebsterJessica Webster CalgaryMember Posts: 14
    edited 16 March, 2006
    Thank you for the thread link! Mommy does not feel me anything but my food, or treats for kitties, cause her Grandma's kitties ended up with kidney stones from eating people food! I don't even know what cow's milk tastes like! Besides, Mommy is lactose intolereant, so she can't have it either (such a shame). I don't think I have worms, I really hope not! I was checked out before mommy adopted me, and when I have the blood in my stool.
  • Kenneth JacobsKenneth Jacobs RiverdaleMember Posts: 10
    edited 29 March, 2006
    I had the problem a few times when I was a little kitten and twice since I came to my present home of not leaving everything in the litterbox. Aside from my brother making stinky butt remarks, the really not fun part was the bath. Even after soaking, it wasn't fun getting stuff pulled out of your fur.... Ugh.
  • Amber LampAmber Lamp Annandale, MinnesotaMember Posts: 6
    edited 7 June, 2006
    Our mommy uses a baby powder on my brother and I as well. It' s not a spray kind though, it's called Dry Shampoo by Perfect Coat. It makes us smell sooo pretty! I don't think it can be bad for you, just as long as your mommy doesn't put too much on so it's strong!