I Hate Grooming!

Patricia StClairPatricia StClair BoerneMember Posts: 4,259
edited 10 August, 2006 in Grooming
Hi, My mom wants to have me shaved because I have mats all over my belly. The groomer won\'t shave me because I scream and cry and try to bite whenever anyone comes near me with a brush. I only let my mom groom me using her fingers but she can\'t get the mats out that way. I\'ve tried Felaway and Camomille and Rescue Remedy to help calm me but none of those worked. Any sugestions to help me be calm so that I can go to the groomer?

Comments

• Tabitha Smith-ElliottTabitha Smith-Elliott Gainesville/Hall County, GAMember Posts: 11,582
    edited 29 March, 2006
    Your best bet would be to call your vet and tell them what you're doing at the groomers. They may be able to prescribe a light sedative for you while you get groomed. Check with your vet.
  • Patricia StClairPatricia StClair BoerneMember Posts: 4,259
    edited 30 March, 2006
    Thanks, Chloe. I'll get my mom to ask Dr. Sarah if she can give me a sedative before the groomer clips my evil step sister. Maybe that will give it time to work before it's my turn.
  • Celeste EvansCeleste Evans HobartMember Posts: 181
    edited 31 March, 2006
    Good luck Bart! I don't have any great tips to calm you down, but I read your diary entry and I must say I had a bit of a chuckle! You sound like a bit of a challenge at times, and it sounds like your mum's doing a great job! And also, you're one handsome guy! So try and be good for the groomer so you can keep looking great.
  • Anne WhitehurstAnne Whitehurst LongmontMember Posts: 5,024
    edited 31 March, 2006
    Hi Bart, I hate grooming too and my Mommie is threatening to get me a lion cut here soon. Maybe I\'ll pitch a hissy fit too. . . anyway, we sent you a friends request and some treats. Purrs, Lucie
  • Tabitha Smith-ElliottTabitha Smith-Elliott Gainesville/Hall County, GAMember Posts: 11,582
    edited 31 March, 2006
    *holds mouth shut trying not to burst out laughing at the thought of her friend Lucie with a lion cut*
    edited 31 March, 2006
    Thanks for the treats, Lucie. I'd like to be friends. My mom just called the groomer today and made an appointment to get my evil step sister Annie a lion cut. HA! Uh oh, I hope they don't try anything with me!
  • Ellie(Elinore) ClarkEllie(Elinore) Clark Member Posts: 9,364
    edited 1 April, 2006
    I kind of hate grooming too, but I let Mewmom do it a little at a time. I am young ,so I don't know if I will get the dreaded shaving thing. She hopes not, so I let her comb me. I just play a little and am not mean. PURR, Dakota(Butters)
  • Patricia HodgePatricia Hodge WatertownMember Posts: 14,819
    edited 2 April, 2006
    you have to do what my mommsie do, I not like no one to touch me below my equator zone or my tummy so to speak.. her has my vet do it,, they give me something to make me sleepy, I good girl but you take my temperature or try to groom me down there you could lose your hand.... no way,,, just mommsie... Bluie
  • Alison MacDonaldAlison MacDonald SomervilleMember Posts: 343
    edited 16 April, 2006
    speaking as a groomer if the cat needs to be sedated, even if it is just lightly, then the grooming should be done at the vet. i won't groom sedated cats(or any sedated animal for that matter) because the sedative they give them tends to make them more unpredictable and also if the cat should have a negative reaction(which is veryu possible with something the cats finds stressfull plus a sedative) a groomer would not be equipped to help the cat and may not be able to get them to a vet in time.
    edited 16 April, 2006
    Thanks for all the good advice. You'll never believe this but after the groomer came to do my evil step-sister, my mom took me out to the groomer "just to assess the situation". Well, next thing I know, I'm getting shaved too! I didn't need a sedative but they had to put a blindfold on me when they got to my rear end. I started growling at them to make them stop. I was just moritifed when I got a look in the mirror, but I guess it didn't hurt as bad as I thought. Mom was glad I didn't need any drugs but she'd better not try this again.
  • Anne WhitehurstAnne Whitehurst LongmontMember Posts: 5,024
    edited 10 June, 2006
    Good grief! I just noticed, over 2 months later, that Sweetie was laughing at me with a possible lion cut---giggle giggle! I expect the vet would have to knock me out completely to shave me. Maybe they could combine it with dental work if I need it. . . ewww. . .
  • julie wallinjulie wallin knoxvilleMember Posts: 24,063 ✭✭
    edited 10 June, 2006
    I hate grooming, and my brother, "the good cat" loves grooming. He will roll on his back and purr when he sees his grooming implements. I will let my mom groom me for about 15 seconds, and then, for some reason, I growl. The only way I will sit still for grooming, is with a human comb, maybe because I am HUMAN>>>>>>
    edited 11 June, 2006
    *giggles again*
  • Taylor Scobie HumphreyTaylor Scobie Humphrey hanging out around the houseMember Posts: 267
    edited 11 June, 2006
    Jeez--who doesn\'t hate grooming!? Our kitty older sister Mamie just loved it but that was because mommy started grooming her when she was a little baby, with a soft pink Hartz brush. All mommy had to do was say \"Brush?\" and Mamie would come right over for some affection from her pink Hartz plastic pin brush (the only two things that mommy buys from Hartz). However the rest of us are just pains in the neck when it comes to grooming. Fortunately we have short hair. But our cousin Scotty has long hair and he got a lion cut once but his mommy, Auntie Roo, thought that he was embarrassed by the way he looked! SO our mommy has taken over and Scotty goes to the vet several times a year to be combed out. Because if you brush him in the wrong places he BITES! She says she would never us a groomer--because the vet knows your cat\'s purrsonality and you can stay there and help, too.
    edited 11 June, 2006
    I know! I know! I'm strange. I actually LIKE to be groomed.
    edited 11 June, 2006
    Unlike my brother, I LOVE to be groomed. I have a soft purple rubber thingee that my mom found at Petsmart, I also love my glove, and my comb. All mom has to do is let me see any of my grooming things and I come running. I will let you groom me, until your hand falls off, my brother is such a sissy, but we all know that. He will only let mom use either her pink comb or a human hair brush.
  • Len MitchellLen Mitchell SeymourMember Posts: 577 ✭✭
    edited 12 June, 2006
    You can have your human try a product called \"Mat Breaker\". It is supposed to remove the mats without taking off the surrounding fur. Here is a link to a site that sells it: http://www.plowhearth.com/product.asp?pcode=7063&cm_mmc=Tagged-_-NA-_-NA-_-NA I think my dad is about to order one for me. I HATE being brushed!
    edited 12 June, 2006
    Thanks Aedan! Thats the only time I hate being groomed is when I have a mat, so great link - thanks!!
  • Sharon LytleSharon Lytle Member Posts: 4
    edited 9 July, 2006
    My mom brushes me every day. She is always picking at my mats trying to get them out. Sometimes she cuts them out with scissors but the ~sound of the scissors cutting hair~ makes me freak out. I'm getting some on my belly now. NO WAY will I let her get near those. It's getting closer and closer to time for a little sedation and a lion cut. My mommy doesn't like to do that though. The sedatives made me vomit last time. Plus it costs a lot of money.
  • Melissa FordMelissa Ford Santa CruzMember Posts: 3,914
    edited 9 July, 2006
    Eeyore, be careful w/ the scissors. Your mom could accidentally cut your skin resulting in a triop to the vet for stitches and antibiotics. Stick w/shaving them out w/clippers, much safer.
    edited 9 July, 2006
    Luckily, both of us are short-hair, mom started trying to groom me very young, I just DON'T like it. We all know my brother is perfect, but I am smart.
  • Sharon LytleSharon Lytle Member Posts: 4
    edited 14 July, 2006
    Hunter ~ What are the best kind of clippers. We tried some once but they didn't seem to work well. Maybe we just got the wrong kind. :)
  • Melissa FordMelissa Ford Santa CruzMember Posts: 3,914
    edited 14 July, 2006
    Hunters mom here: The ones that we use in the hospital, are the Oster Golden A5. Get the one w/ 2 speeds and do not get cordless. They never hold a charge like you want and they are heavy and cumbersome. http://www.osterpro.com/productModels.asp?ProdCatID=1 Blades: Size 40 to shave to skin, size 15 for very short hair, size 10 for slightly longer hair. Have also used the size 7 and 5 (skip tooth) but very infrequently. For dematting, I use the size 15 blade and start clipping at the base of the mat, gently pulling the mat away from the skin as the clippers cut the hair. If you are doing regular grooming you'll want to have attachments to be able to cut the hair to the length you want. http://www.osterpro.com/productModels.asp?ProdCatID=9 http://www.osterpro.com/productDetails.asp?ProductID=76&BladeID=
  • E BouleyE Bouley Milton/Pensacola/Gulf BreezeMember Posts: 19
    edited 16 July, 2006
    Grooming...it\'s so funny. I love to be brushed or combed for hours, but when it comes to getting shaved, (which is rare and usually only in the summer), I hate the shaving part! However...afterward, I think I am just the cats\' meow! I prance around like, \"Oh yeah, I\'m hot, you want me.\" My \"pet\" gets a kick out of that. =^.~=
  • Alana RobertsAlana Roberts BrooklynMember Posts: 758
    edited 10 August, 2006
    Oh dear at leawst I'm not alone in this - I have always hated being brished and mum always has to threaten to shave me - just scratched her good in the face for brushing me last night in fact. I have a double coat so I know I need thr brushing but I fight it every step!