What\'s in your cat foods?

laurette lamontagnelaurette lamontagne san diegoMember Posts: 5
edited 23 May, 2006 in Food & Nutrition
Hello there, My mom brought me home a little over a year ago. It was kind of like planes trains and automobiles because she was not expecting to come home from her business trip with me. I knew she was coming for me, so I practiced, and practiced and put on the best 'take me home' performance in my whole entire cat life (1 1/2 years). Anyhow, when I came home, I had this holes and hotspots on my neck and chin. After 1 month of eatting mom's home cookin, or raw meats preparing, they went away (the hotspots and holes). Isn't that amazing!! Cat foods that are full of grains, by-products, preservatives and void of natural enzymes can create enough havioc that I almost tried to remove my self from my cat suit to get out of my toxic commercial cat food body. What do you think of commercial food now? Tell your Mom's and Dads to read the labels on the food they are feeding you and research, research and do even more research.

Comments

• Beastie_and_the_BoysBeastie_and_the_Boys Marquette, MI / ChicagoMember Posts: 17,806 ✭✭✭
    edited 11 May, 2006
    I'm not sure what you mean by "holes and hotspots," but a lot of kitties develop feline acne from eating out of plastic dishes. Plastic harbors bacteria that gets into our skin when our chins rub agains the rim as we eat.
  • Sue EnglandSue England Mount Druitt, SydneyMember Posts: 385
    edited 12 May, 2006
    Hi Harold, commercial food suxs. I have suffered chronic skin problems due to dry food and other prepared pet foods. Just take a look on the back of the dry food packet to see a million and one ingredients, why do they add so much rubbish into our foods? Mum says its not about getting healthy cats its about the companies getting healthy wallets! My diet is raw roo meat and natural yoghurt as a treat every so often, I also get to share some of mums dinner but she will only allow me to have some things like plan pasta, chicken meat, carrots, potato, peas, corn and so on. I also like to test and try foods but only natural and safe things for me otherwise I end up with very messy sore skin with very big red blotchy rashes. Stick with mums home cooking harold as your much better of.
  • Karen LeeKaren Lee The kingdom of Mer-lotMember Posts: 89,020
    edited 12 May, 2006
    Many commercial foods, especially the ones in supermarkets, are pretty bad. They are filled with grains and by-products. Yuck. We felines are carnivores. We need real meats. Catinfo.org (written by a vet) and Catnutrition.org have very good information about what a proper feline diet should be. Catinfo.org says that many illnesses are caused from a grain-based diet and that switching to a proper diet will make many illnesses disappear or become more managable.
  • jaimmie caudelljaimmie caudell Member Posts: 95
    edited 12 May, 2006
    wow Merlin, that site was very interesting and informative momma thought hard food was best for our teeth! she thought wetfood would make my sister Destiny Gain more weight..mew ...whats the best kind of wet food to get?
    edited 12 May, 2006
    Catinfo.org has a list of good canned foods: http://catinfo.org/commercialcannedfoods.htm It's sort of in the middle of the long page. Wellness, Nature's Variety, EVO, and Merrick are listed. Another good web site to see is Binky's page: http://geocities.com/jmpeerson/ There is a link to Binky's food charts on the main page. It has complete nutrional anylysis of various foods, more info than what is printed on canned food labels. The charts are mainly for diabetic felines but if you need to be on a diet, these are good charts to look at.
    edited 12 May, 2006
    thankyous!
  • Renee ButtsRenee Butts NEPAMember Posts: 210
    edited 13 May, 2006
    Hullo, When I my Mom adopted me, she was notified that I had a sensitive stomach. I still eat the bagged food, but only after Mom scans the label. She doesn't have a lot of money, but when it comes to me, money is not an issue. But, wonder of wonders, my stomach is not so sensitive anymore. I've improved quite a bit - my sensitive stomach is almost completely not touchy. Mom puts sea salt on my food. This is so cheap to do, but she buys the stuff with 80 + minerals that Grandpa recommended. It's actually gotten rid of some kittys' cancer and arthritis. Mom is taking no chances with me. If you want to read some amazing stories, check out www.watercure2.org and click on the "Pet Problems" link. My Mom is just getting started out. She is going back to school for her Master's Degree and her teaching certification. Maybe this summer, Mom will cook some yummy foods for me. Mom's never been one for the kitchen, but I think I can convince her!
  • Elizabeth KElizabeth K ChicagoMember Posts: 11,036
    edited 14 May, 2006
    Hey just wondering if anyone had trouble getting their cats to eat cooked or raw foods? My cat refuses to eat most stuff so I put her on the higher-quality commercial diet I can find... When I got her she came with the food her old owners were feeding, it looked like kids breakfast cereal! (pretty shapes and colors...ugh) It was called Purina Deli-Cat. Yuck! She was also way overweight (16 lbs) with icky greasy fur and flaky skin and matted... She is doing very well on the food she is eating now, thankfully. She's also lost several pounds.
  • Celeste EvansCeleste Evans HobartMember Posts: 181
    edited 14 May, 2006
    Hi Harold Good for you, keep up the home 'cooked' diet! Sneakers, YES I am also naughty about eating my raw food - maybe it's a black and white cat thing, because my brothers mostly love it! I love dry food and seem to prefer canned/wet food to raw. My mum perseveres though, and I do eat some raw so that's something! Always looking for new tips though.
    edited 14 May, 2006
    Meows, Calista. You can buy a sample pack of various super premium foods here: http://www.thecatconnection.com/page/TCC/PROD/FOD/FOD-SMPL You fill out a questionnaire and the Humans pick out several samples for you to try.
    edited 14 May, 2006
    meeeeow! thanks merlin!!
  • Denise GraysonDenise Grayson BothellMember Posts: 2,468
    edited 14 May, 2006
    I agree cosmo I think it may be a Tux thing...:) I really don\'t eat any raw or cooked food either. I may have a nibble of turkey or ham now and then, but after a bite or two I am done. My brother I think is more dog then tux. He will eat anything he sees....:) I am even picky about canned and dry food. If the canned food looks like scraps or something I will not touch it. It also can not have any oils in it. I like canned tuna if it is packed in water, but then again I will only take a few bites. I do actually like fresh scambled eggs and oranges.
  • Mandy BowenMandy Bowen ParisMember Posts: 17
    edited 19 May, 2006
    I'm glad you're better! My mommy gives us a raw food diet, but I think some canned foods are just fine. "Super-premium" types that aren't in grocery stores (unfortunately) are okay. It's just as important to read the label as it is with human food. Mom says she had noticed more people thinking this way in the last year or so, especially about raw food diets. In fact, my breeder AND my brother's breeder both had us on a raw food diet!
  • Natalie LuttermanNatalie Lutterman Member Posts: 4
    edited 23 May, 2006
    Meowmy wishes she could feed us raw, but it simply isn't logical. She can't even make a meal for herself sometimes, I don't think I trust her to make one for us! Meowmy feeds the whole lot of us a wide variety of foods, focusing on wet. I personally don't like wet food, but she keeps on putting it down in front of me. I finally got her trained to buy the stuff with chunks in gravy...emphasis on the gravy. Mmm!! Nobody here like pate style food, so that limits things....we don't mind it if meowmy mixes it with tuna or salmon, though! Our favorite dry foods are Innova, Innova EVO, Chicken Soup, & Nutro Natural Choice Complete Care. We think Merrick wet is OK, but truly prefer Nutro pouches & Gourmet Classics wet(meowmy doesn't like this as much, though).
    edited 23 May, 2006
    momma kinda knows someone who only feeds wet food....and her older cats teeth are in very poor condition?