Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

Help with spiffing up my page!

Sandy ColemanSandy Coleman WashingtonMember Posts: 438
I\'ve found a cool background and a midi music file I\'d like to add, but my Mom is very confused about where to put the coding. Can any of you computer savvy kits help? Many thanks!

Comments

• Deb O'NeillDeb O'Neill PerkasieMember Posts: 8,659
    edited 29 May, 2006
    Hi Rufus! Thanks for the rosette! As a Plus member, you get extra bio fields. You need to use one for the midi file. (I found we had to give it a name or it didn't work.) I don't know about backgrounds, but I think it's the same thing. Can I ask what site you used for the music? Mom found two sites, but doesn't really think any of the selections fit for us. We're still looking around. I think she left our dog's music up because it seemed appropriate. See you around!
  • Sandy ColemanSandy Coleman WashingtonMember Posts: 438
    edited 29 May, 2006
    Gee, Benjamin, I can't get it to work. I'll keep trying. My Mom found a site at mbif.net that had some backgrounds and midis. I'm folloiwng all the directions, but they're not coming through. ME-OW!!!
    edited 29 May, 2006
    Hmm. We got our backgrounds at the same site. Did you choose music from there, too? One background I picked didn't work! I copied and pasted it several times before Mom gave up and I had to pick another. On your account page, in the extra fields part, make sure the link is in the right side box, under "Body". Don't forget to write something in the "Field Name" box to the left. Another problem we had was that Mom wasn't always copying the entire link (way to go Mom!). You might want to check that, too. Good luck!
    edited 29 May, 2006
    Sounds great Rufus!
  • AshPoGusAshPoGus AlbuquerqueMember Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭
    edited 29 May, 2006
    The music sounds great, Rufus! Benjamin, maybe this would help your mom find some music for you and Sophie: This site does not have music itself, but is a list, with links, to many other sites that have music: http://www.manythings.org/midi/ Plus, there are some search engines on it. There is one search engine to search for specific songs all over the internet. I've found it very useful. It might come up with several different sites for one song -- you can then choose from different arrangements! Here it is: http://www.manythings.org/midi/search.html
    edited 29 May, 2006
    Thanks Scooter! We've found lots of music we like and have tried some out, but... The search continues! We'll bookmark those sites. Hey- love your music too. Very fitting if you know what I mean!
    edited 29 May, 2006
    Well, it seems that everybody but me can hear my music! It's frustrating! The quest continues . . . Thanks Benjamin and Scooter for all your help!
    edited 29 May, 2006
    Check out this thread, Rufus. Maybe your answer is there. http://www.catster.com/forums/thread.php?p=4&c=51&t=321619#
    edited 29 May, 2006
    Rufus, I think it's the browser you're using. I can help you get the code to make your music be heard on Netscape and Internet Explorer, but those are the only browsers I know the code for. I sent you a p-mail.
    edited 29 May, 2006
    Wow, thanks again Benjamin and Scooter! It's obviously my Mom's browser which is Safari because she's one of those crazy Mac users. I'll do a search of a few Websites and see if I can find out more. You two are the best!
    edited 29 May, 2006
    Thanks, Rufus. You're coming through loud and clear now. FYI: Rufus' music now works for him, and he's using both Netscape and Internet Explorer codes. Rufus could not hear his own music because he apparently had just Internet Explorer codes -- he was using that 'dynsrc' code. So, the Safari browser must recognize the Netscape code of 'embed src'. He's using that, plus the Internet Explorer code of 'bgsound src'. His music should be heard by most browsers. Yabba dabba dabba. Does that make any sense at all?
  • Beastie_and_the_BoysBeastie_and_the_Boys Marquette, MI / ChicagoMember Posts: 17,807 ✭✭✭
    edited 30 May, 2006
    Thanks for the midi link, Scooter! I think our mommy finally found music she likes for all the kitties in our family. :-) I'm still not sure how to get it to work on Netscape, though (which is the browser we usually use on the catputer). We have the codes that work with IE.
    edited 30 May, 2006
    Here's the code that Rufus used for Netscape: <embed src="http://URLofYourSong.mid" hidden="true" autostart="true"> I put that code first, immediately followed by the Internet Explorer code. It probably doesn't matter which goes first, though. Here's the website I got that from: http://lplace.tripod.com/faq.html That's the website that shows how to get the music control box to show on your page, too. But I found that the full control box looks best sized at width="145" height="45" instead of the height="60" like they show. When you're using both codes, though, you have to be careful about the length of the URL for your midi -- because you have to enter it twice. You have that 255-character limit in those bio fields. I always check the length of the coding in Word first, to see how many characters it uses: Tools > Word Count > Characters (with spaces). Hope that helps you, and makes sense. If not, let me know.
    edited 30 May, 2006
    Thanks again to Scooter, Benjamin, and everyone! Especially Scooter and her Mom for deciphering my coding problems and sticking with me until it was working. My music is now up and running -- heck I even changed it!
    edited 30 May, 2006
    Good for you, Rufus. Hey, you switched your main photo, too! Pffft. I think I might have confused the issue. In my previous post, that Netscape code I gave will NOT put the music control box on your page. That's what hidden="true" means -- the control box is hidden. But the website I gave will tell you how to put a control box on your page if you want it. I was also trying to explain how I resized it to look better ( to me, anyway -- not sure how it looks to anyone else). Sorry to confuse the issue! Anyone should be able to copy that Netscape code up there, then just substitute the URL of your song. Use it IN ADDITION TO the Internet Explorer code, which is: <bgsound src="http://URLofYourSong.mid"> Arthur, hope you understand. Let me know if you don't. Now I'm outta here, before I make it worse!
  • Tabitha Smith-ElliottTabitha Smith-Elliott Gainesville/Hall County, GAMember Posts: 11,582
    edited 30 May, 2006
    Hiya Rufus! SMOOCHES!!! heehee Yes yes!! Listen to Scoots - she KNOWS what she's talking about. We cant thank her enough for all the help she gave us.
    edited 31 May, 2006
    Smoooches back at ya, Sweetie! And Scooter couldn't have been more helpful.
  • TRACY YOUNGTRACY YOUNG New YorkMember Posts: 6,538
    edited 31 May, 2006
    You're right, Scoots. Safari uses Netscape code. We couldn't hear music on our pages until you gave us that option. Now it works. You gotta get a Mac, girl! You're way too cool to be a PC user.
    edited 31 May, 2006
    But Mom's way too cheap to buy a Mac. Yikes! She said they want a lot of money for those.