URGENT HELP

Denise BlakeyDenise Blakey HyattsvilleMember Posts: 706
edited 3 August, 2006 in Plus Informational
HI, I need everyones help, my rescue kitty Salem, is about 7 years old, you can read about how I got him, well the other day a found a very starved kitty, about 1 years old, he has been to the vet , looked at , vet checked and everything, since this kitty followed me home and this kitty I named Kramer is sweet as can be, he likes everyone, he likes other cats, Casper my poodle, everyone. the big problem is, even thought salem was raised with other cats with the lady who died, he seems to hate this other cat, as soon as he see's Kramer, he freaks outs, meows, hissing like I dont know what, and then he bites and scratch me when he see's Kramer, I really wanna keep this new cat, can anyone tell me what I can do to get salem to calm down and get to know this kitty? anyhelp please, I been keeping them in different rooms cause Salem will and has tried to attck the poor new kitty, and really Kramer is too sweet.

Comments

• Jan ArmstrongJan Armstrong Member Posts: 6,559
    edited 21 July, 2006
    I was that way with Stovepipe(rip). I was so mad that another kitty was in MY house that I refused to even be in the same room with my humans. I even hissed and spit and growled at mom and dad. MOL! It took a while, but I got over it. We began sleeping in the same area and eating out of the same bowl. When Stovepipe went to Rainbow Bridge, I searched the house for months looking for her at all of her favorite nappy time spots. I miss her. As for the attacking part. I'm not sure. I've never done that. Hawkeye did attack our foster for some strange reason. Mom used the "Be Good Kitty" on him and he stopped that after two days. The "Be Good Kitty" is a one gallon super soaker water gun and it goes clean across the house. But the main thing is not to force it. They need to establish their pecking order on their own. The new kitty will soon learn how stong of a stance is needed. And by all means don't let them be together unsupervised until all is well. Keep us informed on the progress.
  • Patricia HodgePatricia Hodge WatertownMember Posts: 14,819
    edited 21 July, 2006
    He is acting out of stress and fear of something taking his position as alpha cat... it sounds like he is the boss cat at your home.. It usually takes cats about 2 weeks or more to adjust to each other. Make sure Kramer has his own dishes and you put out an extra littler box.. cats hate sharing either at first. Always pick up your kitty first, pet him first, give him extra attention so he can see he is still number one.. let them fuss it out as long as they do not hurt one another. They are setting the stage for the pecking order... good luck Pat
  • Denise BlakeyDenise Blakey HyattsvilleMember Posts: 706
    edited 21 July, 2006
    thanks guys, I ve been doing the stuff you said, so I hope it works, I really wanna keep this kitty, I dont believe I could find the kind of home he needs, he was near death when he followed me home.
  • Donna LenzDonna Lenz BethelMember Posts: 4,600 ✭✭✭
    edited 21 July, 2006
    We've been through this several times too. Intro them slowly - give them blankets to sleep on, then switch them so they get used to each other's scents. Max has been fresh with me since I got here. He has little cat syndrome MOL!!!!! My best buddy is Amigo who could squash me if he wanted. The doggys also love me. Max is a lot better with me now. Mom also sometimes puts Rescue Remedy in our water bowl when Max gets crabby. He's 16 now - so maybe he's senile????? heheheh Good Luck with your new kitty!
  • Stuart AsbelStuart Asbel The Shellies Memorial Home forMember Posts: 3,367
    edited 23 July, 2006
    Morgan's advice is really good. Dad was always bringing in new cats. He would keep the new cat isolated in one room. We could play under the door and sniff. Then the new cat would get put in a cat carrier and the rest of us would get to come in and sniff and look. The exchanging blankets idea is a good one too. Also make sure everyone has their own place to eat. We all had our own spots. That helped a lot too. Also have multiple water stations and an extra litter box wouldn't hurt either. Given some time they should get used to each other.
  • BruceTheBossBruceTheBoss Winslow, BuckinghamshireMember Posts: 37,079 ✭✭✭
    edited 23 July, 2006
    Good Luck Salem, keep us posted on how it is going.

Bruce The Boss

• jennifer viscontijennifer visconti queensMember Posts: 2,157
    edited 23 July, 2006
    Hi! Feel free to join our group Sibling Rivalry *feline* - we all have problems getting along with our cat brothers and sisters there. A lot of cats have a lot of great advice and support to give you and your family :-) Just reading some old emails and forum postings could help you guys out a lot. GOOD LUCK! Hope to see you there.
    edited 25 July, 2006
    Wow Emma, that sounds like a good group. Foruntately I get on with my sister, but it sounds like your group could be very helpful to other kitties.

Bruce The Boss

• Yipee LadybugYipee Ladybug Member Posts: 3,805
    edited 26 July, 2006
    Just want to add that it will take patience and perhaps lots of time for them to get along. Me and Missy took a year before we could stand being around each other. Everyone else has provided excellent advice. Go slow in introducing them to each other and make each of their meetings as positive as possible (read: treats. lots of them.).
    edited 27 July, 2006
    Good post Casey, "Way to Go".

Bruce The Boss

• Taylor Scobie HumphreyTaylor Scobie Humphrey hanging out around the houseMember Posts: 267
    edited 28 July, 2006
    Do not despair! When we all moved in with our Auntie Roo and her kitties, her kitty Timmy actually went after my little sister Lilibet three times! After that Lilibet retreated to mommy\'s bedroom and stayed there safely for the next six months or so. We have our own box and food and birdies out the windows and everything and, of course, mommy\'s comfy bed and, at night, comfy mommy. After our big brother Jack Jack died I had to become her protector and that took a while to negotiate with Auntie Roo\'s cats. After that Lili began to cautiously venture around the house. (Periodically I still do a little loud negotiating with Auntie Roo\'s four cats but most of the real skirmishes are over.) This morning, much to mommy\'s enormous surprise, she saw Lilibet watching birdies through the back screen door, sitting between Uncle Daddy\'s cat Blackie and her previous nemesis Timmy! Lili now has the run of the house and the basement and neither Timmy nor anybody else attacks her AT ALL! Mommy was so surprised!!! She wasn\'t sure that Timmy and Lilibet would ever be able to do that! It was a long time, but real life finally got the better of Timmy and his attitude, thank goodness! Also, get some Feliway. It\'s great!
  • Denise BlakeyDenise Blakey HyattsvilleMember Posts: 706
    edited 3 August, 2006
    Hi every cat, I wanted to give you an update on me and Kramer, well looks like my mom can let us out of our rooms, I have stop meowing and hissing at me, I even let him walk past me with no problems, mom still keeps her eyes on us and does not leave us alone..but we now have a new problem, since Kramer was an outside kitty when found, he now's moews at the top of his lungs when momma is at work, and also all night, we have not gotten any sleep..momma tried everything, but he does this every day for the past 5 days..momma can't sleep and now she got a notice from the rent office stating that people in her building is complaining about the moewing kitty..momma is so sad..she is trying to find him a nice home but she can't find anyone.. can anyone help momma? Kramer needs a nice home...