My best friend is gone!

Betsy CechBetsy Cech Grand HavenMember Posts: 2
I had to have my almost 15 year old Bob put to sleep this morning. Over the last month, he began to lose his appetite and slow down. In the past two weeks, he lost a lot of weight. My vet was unable to find a cause other than old age. Yesterday it became clear that he was in pain, so I made the call to schedule that dreaded appointment. This morning at 11:45 in the vet\'s office, I held Bob in my arms as he died. Even my husband who was never a big cat lover had tears in his eyes as he held my shoulders for support. My husband knew that I could just put my baby in the ground, so he fashioned a 20 gallon fuel drum into the best kitty burial vault I have ever seen! I laid Bob on his bed inside the \"vault\" & surrounded him with all his favorite toys and treats. We buried him this afternoon in our woods near the house. If I was a basket case yesterday & this morning, then there are not words to describe how I feel right now. For the last 15 years, whenever I was sad or depressed, Bob was my source of furry, kitty comfort. Now, when I need that comfort the most, I have no where to turn. I know that in time, it will hurt less, but right now I can barely function because my best friend is gone! Bob,..Mom loves you & misses you!

Comments

• cat shepherdcat shepherd KnoxvilleMember Posts: 6,314
    edited 16 September, 2009
    We are so sorry for your loss. Bob will always be in your heart. It's so hard to let go, even when you know it's the right thing to do. Purrs and hugs as you go through this difficult time.
  • Sandie PiperSandie Piper KamloopsMember Posts: 584
    Dear Bob and Family: Your are in our hearts tonight during this sad time. We will be praying for you. Bob is now you kittie guardian angel from up above. We sent you a pmail as well. Brandy, Ashley and Family
  • Sandie PiperSandie Piper KamloopsMember Posts: 584
    Dear Bob and Family: Your are in our hearts tonight during this sad time. We will be praying for you. Bob is now you kittie guardian angel from up above. We sent you a pmail as well. Brandy, Ashley and Family
  • Karen BrockKaren Brock TorontoMember Posts: 5,152
    We are sorry for your loss........purrrrrrs and hugs for you. Tangee, Spot, Tigger and Po
  • Heather BellamyHeather Bellamy Perry / StatesboroMember Posts: 5,506
    We're all so sorry to hear about Bob. It's so hard to lose a kittyfriend. Bob is watching over you right now, and he'll make sure you make it through this tough time. We're sending purrs to you and your family. And Maximo, our resident Guardian Angel, is going to try and find Bob to make him feel welcome at the Bridge. Purrs, Lucky Boo, Sindri, Dutch, Luna, Sir Thomas and Maximo (at the Bridge)
  • Gimli_TGMGimli_TGM HurstMember Posts: 29,929 ✭✭
    We are very sorry for your loss. Our deepest sympathies to you. Maybe Bob has already met Kiki at the Rainbow Brigde. Just remember Bob will be there waiting for you. Purrs, Gimli, Nigel, Isis, Kahlan, Angel Kiki and Meowmie Laura
  • Nicole CarrasNicole Carras BrooklynMember Posts: 93
    Condolences from our entire family. It\'s always so hard to say good bye to a kitty who has been such a big part of your life for so many years. But we know with all our hearts you will see him again. Gigi, Patrick Bianca and Isabel
  • Teri SextonTeri Sexton Member Posts: 7,987
    From our whole family, purrrrrs of comfort and healing. At least you have a lifetime of memories with Bob. You did the right thing for him, never regret helping him. He trusted you, and your true love guided your decision. May the peace he has found, also be shared with you as you mourn him.
  • melissa muttermelissa mutter West ChesterMember Posts: 10,189
    Purrs to your family Bob! I was my mom's best friend too! http://www.amazon.com/Coping-Sorrow-Loss-Your-Pet/dp/0931866979/sr=1-1/qid=1157919202/ref=pd_bbs_1/002-7036502-0987207?ie=UTF8&s=books This is a pawsome book if you can find a copy. It really helped Mommy when our Winnie passed and then when I did too.
  • edited 16 September, 2009
    Dear Bob & Family During this sad day think about all the good times you've had with him. Now hes in a better place he has now crossed the bridge of hope and happieness.
  • Sian JonesSian Jones Member Posts: 7
    What a gorgeous cat. So sorry for your loss. Purrs, Fudge
  • SterlingAndTheSTeamSterlingAndTheSTeam Mount OliveMember Posts: 41,262 ✭✭✭
    Thinking of you in your time of sorrow. Your vault for Bob sounds beautiful. At this time we know there is not much comfort in words, but know that we are thinking of you and purring for you. Purrs of Love From: The A Team: Apollo, Athena and Aragorn
  • Sarah MunroSarah Munro RydeMember Posts: 90
    Dear Bob's mum I want to hug you today because you know how I feel. I lost my baby today, the second one lost this year and my last one at home. Kim was my angel, my rock, my secret keeper, my lap warmer, my buddy in kitchen every night while I cooked and most of all, she was my friend.
  • Diane FaucherDiane Faucher WellandMember Posts: 1
    I am very sorry for your loss . I know exactly how you are feeling. I to had to put my beloved girl Dusty to rest on Tues Sept 6/06. It was the hardest thing I have ever had to do in my life. She went downhill very fast after we found out she had an overactive thyroid. Today is actually the first day that I am starting to accept the fact that she is not here anymore. She left behind two brothers "Bandit and Trouble " who miss her terribly too.
  • Margie WhitteckMargie Whitteck WilmingtonMember Posts: 2,079
    Purrs to Bob's Mama, Kim's Mama, and Bandit's Mama. My Mama knows exactly how you feel! purrs and headbutts, Lucy, Logan, Taylor, Sammy
  • Rachel HicksRachel Hicks Littleton/DenverMember Posts: 23,738
    Here's my very berst Purrrrrr just for you. I too have recently gone to the rainbow bridge (9/3/06). My mommy is finally starting to breathe & to speak of me without crying. I am really glad because I have made so many new friends here & I am happy & no longer in pain. I still miss my family very much, but I know I will see them all again. I will keep my eyes open for Bob & try to help him as much as I can. All my purrrrrs, Spotty
  • Missy SmithMissy Smith ErieMember Posts: 1,536
    I understand your grief. You're in my thoughts & prayers. Rest in peace, Bob. He was a beautiful fellow. xoxoxo ♥
  • Betsy CechBetsy Cech Grand HavenMember Posts: 2
    I want to thank everyone for all the comforting messages & prayers! This has been the most difficult week of my life and as silly as it may seem to my friends without pets, all your kind words help so much in the healing process! Even the little things pull at my heart every day,...making my husband's lunch in the morning & automatically tearing off a little piece of turkey from his sandwich to give to Bob,...but no Bobbers waiting there to take it. Yesterday I went to the pet store to pick up a new harness for my dog, Lucy, and found myself in the cat toy aisle before I realized my error. I will never stop loving Bob, but I know that in time, I will adjust to his absence and be able to look back fondly at our time together with crying. On a possible bright note, When I stopped in at the vet to pay up my bill, the girls in the office were syringe feeding a box of kittens. These kittens are very premature since they were taken by c-section when the mother cat's owner wanted to kill her if the vet did not spay her while she was pregnant. Out of ten gerbil-sized kittens, seven have survived and seem to be gaining a strong foothold in life. God willing, they will be needing loving families around Christmas. Maybe I have found my newest furry friend. Thanks again for all the support & my deepest sympathies to others here who have recently lost a furry friend!
  • no nono no noMember Posts: 11
    I'm sorry for your loss. I hope you feel better soon. It's a long road ahead but only worth traveling with kitty in heart. And grab you a kitten quick! :)
  • Juanita S WoodsJuanita S Woods ColumbusMember Posts: 105
    What a precious, sweet boy. Know you are in our thoughts and prayers.