Need advice on which homeless cat to adopt!

Lia BinettiLia Binetti Spring HillMember Posts: 41
edited 14 November, 2006 in Choosing the Right Cat
This is a repeat post, sorry to those of you who read this already! I\'m reposting under different topic because I really need help deciding which shelter cat to adopt... I want to do it soon! :) ***************************************** Hey guys! My mom\'s been looking for a suitable companion for me, and has finally narrowed it down to 2 (she said it\'s really hard not to take them all home!). There\'s one that\'s been in the cage at the shelter for 2yrs!!! Let\'s all pray for her, even if mommy doesn\'t bring her home. She\'s been there so long because she doesn\'t get along with kids and they say sometimes other cats. Since they are a no kill shelter (YAY... paws up for that) she\'s been there for that long! So mom\'s really thinking about bringing her home for me. She thinks with the right introductions, and since she\'ll be soooo happy to be in a home, that we\'ll be OK together. But then she saw another kitty that was really crying out to her (Lacey, the other cat) wasn\'t even coming close enough to let mommy pet her). She was an absolutely beautiful ragdoll with blue eyes! She wanted so badly to come out and play, and pawed and meowed at mommy, so that now mom\'s confused! She\'ll decide based on which one she thinks I\'d get along better with, so we need your help!... They are both 2 yr. old girls... Lacey is a DSH who\'s black & white like me (she could pass for my real sister almost)! Anneke, looks like a pure breed rag doll! Since I think I\'m MainCoon/Norwegian Forest mix, would I get along better with one of them? Mommy really wants to bring one home soon, before the holidays, so please help us decide! Thanks,

Comments

• eva pennyeva penny chehalisMember Posts: 528
    edited 4 November, 2006
    Wow, hard choice, I think your mom should spend some time with both cat's and listen to her heart. It's hard to leave any cat in a shelter but you have to make the right choice for you. Good luck!!
  • Amanda SteeleAmanda Steele Lemoyne, HarrisburgMember Posts: 14
    edited 4 November, 2006
    I agree with Tucker...it is very hard to make a decision when you are torn between animals that need your help. I think she needs to spend time with both kitties and make a decision based on which one she thinks will fit best in her home. Of course, I am assuming you can\'t take both kitties...
  • Jill McWhiteJill McWhite Duke City, Land of EnchantmentMember Posts: 1,098
    edited 6 November, 2006
    Oh this sounds like a really tough choice. On the one hand is the cat that has been there for such a long time, and on the other hand is the kitty that chose you. I am curious to hear wich one you chose. There are four of us here, and we all ended up here because we needed a home, mom knew very little about us before any of us arrived. We all manage to get along, mostly :)
  • Jenna LuskJenna Lusk Pacific NWMember Posts: 2,034
    edited 8 November, 2006
    Has your mommy been able to take each cat out of her cage into a room? Sometimes a kitty who is very shy in a cage really shines in a room one-on-one with a person. It is very kind of your mommy to want to take the kitty who has been there so long, but it must come down to which one she bonds with. My mommy is very sensitive, too, and would want to take every cat (and dog) home from a shelter if she were allowed to do so (my daddy has put a firm foot down on mommy's desire to rescue every creature she meets - both furred and human). She'll know if it's the right kitty. There will be a connection. She'll know that it's the start of a long and wonderful relationship. If it doesn't feel that way, she should look for another kitty.
  • Jessica G-Jessica G- Member Posts: 722
    edited 8 November, 2006
    Oh wow, what a very tough choice! I think the other kitties are right on the money - spend more time with each of them and listen to your heart. Ask yourself how you would feel if they were adopted by someone else (would you feel happy for them, or happy mixed with feelings of - "You can't have her! I'm her human!") Do you find yourself drawn to one more than the other? I would venture to guess that the Ragdoll would get adopted more quickly than the other due to her outgoing, friendly personality and by how beautiful she is - but, then again, she reached out to your Mom...such a difficult decision! Hopefully spending some alone time with each of them will make the answer clear. Best wishes and an early congrats! You and your family are doing a most WONDERFUL thing by giving a deserving cat a loving home. Can't wait to read your updates and to welcome your new sister! Love, Bella
  • Lia BinettiLia Binetti Spring HillMember Posts: 41
    edited 8 November, 2006
    Thanks to all you kitties for your advice! Mom found the website of the HS with a pic of Lacey (she looks alot sweeter in the pic than in person). here's the link to the page (hope it works) http://hslakeco.org/cats.html But now that she read the page, she might not be able to get either one! She'll have to ask if they make an exception to their requirement that adoptive parents be Lake County residents. We live in Marion County (which is close). Maybe that will settle the decision.. they might make the exception only for Lacey since she's been there so long and the ragdoll will be easier to adopt to a Lake County family! :) Keep your paws crossed for me! :)
  • Ann Marie McNamaraAnn Marie McNamara IthacaMember Posts: 178
    edited 9 November, 2006
    Hi Mr. B! I'm so happy to hear your mom wants to adopt and adult kitty from a great shelter! That is a tough decision for sure! My mum's experience at the shelter she volunteers at is that cats who are standoffish or even a little mean at the shelter aren't necessarily like that when they get to a home. There have been cats who would scratch any volunteer who came to pet them become lap cats in their new homes! I think you can't blame a kitty who has lived in a cage for two years for having a bad attitude, but she will probably be a totally different girl in your home! And I bed they'll make an exception for you living out of county if you adopt her since she's been there for so long. Good luck!!!!
    edited 9 November, 2006
    Oh, She is a cutie! Can't wait to hear who finally finds a home with you.
  • Charlene DitnerCharlene Ditner FormosaMember Posts: 1,545 ✭✭
    edited 10 November, 2006
    Yes I agree, she is a cutie!!! Oh, mommy sees all the pictures of the kitties and wishes she could find them all homes! Good luck to you if you bring her home.
    edited 10 November, 2006
    Hey mugsy! :) Thanks to all of you wonderful kitties for posting a response to my mom's dilemma! :) I can't believe it's taking her sooo long to decide! She didn't have any trouble deciding to take me home..sheesh! But then again, I've gotta admit, she really didn't have a choice, I just turned on my charm and melted her heart! I guess these other kitties just aren't as good as I am! :) But stay tuned.. tomorrow she's gonna check out 2 new kitties from a different shelter... she saw their pics and there is one really pretty Russian Blue mix who looks... meeeeeow... gorgeous!!! Keep your paws crossed that she brings that one home for me! I keep trying to tell her that I'll be happy with just about any kitty....so maybe tomorrow will be the day I finally have a new roomate. I'll keep y'all posted! :) Purrs, Mr. B.
  • Amber Isabell DiamondAmber Isabell Diamond Mount Ida.Member Posts: 12
    edited 11 November, 2006
    The choice is up to you, if it was my human's choice she would pick the cat that's been in the cage for 2 years. The other one is most likely to get a home fast since she looks purebred. Whatever choice you pick, it'll be the right one for you ;-) Good luck.
  • Donna LenzDonna Lenz BethelMember Posts: 4,600 ✭✭✭
    edited 11 November, 2006
    Mr B - Mom should visit them all, pick her favorites, and then bring you over to meet them. The choice should really be yours since it will be your sister. Sometimes we get along better with other boys than girls, so tell Mom not to eliminate the boys. Good Luck!
  • Harvie SchreiberHarvie Schreiber FresnoMember Posts: 22
    edited 13 November, 2006
    My mom wishes you the best. Of course, she would just adopt BOTH kitties. That is why there are 13 of us.... all rescues. Purrs and meows.
    edited 14 November, 2006
    Well, guys, as mommy is typing this, we are eagerly awaiting our new friend to arrive! Mom somehow decided on a gray foster cat (although she wanted to rescue a shelter cat). The HS said she could foster with the intent to adopt just to make sure we will get along before making it official! I\'m a little nervous, I hope we will get along because the holidays are coming and mommy\'s going to visit family for a few days. She has a nice lady come check on me and stuff, but I could really use a playmate so I won\'t feel so lonely. Keep your paws crossed for us! :) purrs, Mr. B.
    edited 14 November, 2006
    Yay! Mr. B is getting a new sibling. The first few days/weeks may be tough, but it will change you life. I was an only kitty for a long time, and I cried and screamed at mom everyday when she got home from work, now I just run to the door and say "hi" and get my headbutts in.