Of Cats and Life Lessons Learned

Kimi HKimi H SunderlandMember Posts: 2,257
edited 4 December, 2006 in Choosing the Right Cat
You may remember my previous thread "To Cat, or Not to Cat?" Well, this story has a somewhat bittersweet climax, but happily, also a continuation! Let me explain: Today I was talking to my mother further. She hadn't previously realized how important that little black kitty had been to me. She said that I shouldn't worry so much about what she and my dad might think or want. I'm a grown woman now, she said, and if I want a cat, I should "go and get a darn cat!" She also acknowledged that it really might be a good thing for Eppy to have a friend. I was so touched and elated. I mean, this growing up thing is harder than they tell you in the brochure, you know! I'm not sure if I'll ever get it right, to be honest, but I do my best. And it's nice to know that even my parents themselves understand that just because I take their feelings into consideration doesn't mean I always need to do everything they say. Just to prove how awesome she is, mom drove me down to the shelter. My kitty was gone, and that really made me sad (okay, I may have cried a little), but now that I know it's not the end of the world for me to have another baby to take care of, I'm willing to wait for the perfect cat for my little family to show himself, as I know one will someday. Moral of the story? Following your head is good, but but that doesn't mean never to follow your heart. The hard part is figuring out when to do which! And, ahem, since I know this forum often gets read by folks involved in rescue, if anybody happens to be running an operation within driving distance of the Kalamazoo Michigan area... I'm now accepting applications for the position of Cat. ;)

Comments

• Jill McWhiteJill McWhite Duke City, Land of EnchantmentMember Posts: 1,098
    edited 2 December, 2006
    Ah, your post made my mom feel all warm and fuzzy. The funny thing is these types of internal battles are more than just a transition into adulthood, they are part and parcel of adulthood. Disapproval from mom still carries a lot of weight even in your thirties, and I see that it carries weight for my grandma who is almost 60! I am really sorry that your special little guy was gone, but I am sure that there is another kitty that will steal your heart just as readily. I can't wait to hear who the lucky kitty will be!
  • eva pennyeva penny chehalisMember Posts: 528
    edited 2 December, 2006
    Congratulations on your kitty hunt! We'll be looking forward to seeing your new addition on Catster soon... :)
  • Jill McWhiteJill McWhite Duke City, Land of EnchantmentMember Posts: 1,098
    edited 2 December, 2006
    oh, I also wanted to add that you can search for adoptable cats in your area that have catster pages by doing and "advanced search" on the left side of the page. In the search option choose your town/state and then click "cats needing rescue". Some of the pages are out of date, but you never know...your new baby could be there waiting for you! I searched on the whole state of Michigan and came up with about 30, as most of them are with foster families they could give you extensive info on personality. good luck!
  • Jenna LuskJenna Lusk Pacific NWMember Posts: 2,034
    edited 2 December, 2006
    This is from Binks' mom and has little to do with kitties, but much to do with growing up: I used to be 20. I blinked and now I'm 39. Nearly 40? I'm not sure how that happened, but on most days, even though I'm a mother, myself, I don't really feel grown up. I still ask my mom for advice and still think she must have known more or been better prepared for motherhood than I. Slipping back into the discussion of cats, I am now thinking about getting a tattoo of an Egyptian-style cat somewhere on my body. I'm not sure where, because I am dieting and don't know what I'll look like 35 pounds lighter. Maybe I'll look like I'm 20 again. Anyway, I don't want to tell my mom that I'm getting a tattoo! Isn't that crazy for a grown woman to hide a tattoo from her mother? My daughter is nearly five and cannot keep a secret, so I'm sure she'll tell - and that makes me nervous! Anyway, since it kind of did relate to cats, I thought I'd share. I wish you luck in finding your kitty mate. They usually find you, as Binks did. I have bonded with, and been closer to, the two kitties who I didn't actually seek out (Binks and Abbie). They chose me and I am forever grateful!
  • Yipee LadybugYipee Ladybug Member Posts: 3,805
    edited 2 December, 2006
    we're sorry that you weren't able to adopt a black kitty (my mommy was secretly hoping, she loves black kitties) but it was considerate and thoughtful to ask your parents. We wish you had been able to ask sooner! but sometimes we miss an opportunity simply b/c a better opportunity (or in your case, a better kitty for you!) comes along. don't worry, we are sure that you find another kitty who will steal your heart and love you with all of theirs. *hugs*
  • Niki MattsonNiki Mattson St. PaulMember Posts: 20,360
    edited 3 December, 2006
    Mommy is 34 and she still goes to Grandma for advice and tries to please her too. Though Mommy seems to be very independent in some areas, being visually impaired, she still sometimes feels like she needs her Mommy! When Mommy got me, she kept me a secret from Grandma for almost two month. She wanted me spayed and declawed (don't say it, Mommy wasn't thinking straight then) before Grandma met me. Then, one day, Mommy was talking to Grandma and she said "Oh, by the way, I have a kitty!" Ay-yi-yi-yi! She even hid me, literally, one day when Grandma came over. That, I do not abide by, and Mommy was ashamed of it, but she always wants Grandma's approval. As for the kitty: Grandma always says that our lives our mapped out for us before we are born, and anything that happens, good or bad, happens for a specific reason. We may not know it now, and we may question for years why it happened. But one day we will understand. For some reason, it was just not meant to be that you have that kitty. Maybe one day a even more purrrrfect kitty will come along, and one that needs you as much as you need it! Good luck!
  • Kimi HKimi H SunderlandMember Posts: 2,257
    edited 3 December, 2006
    Everyone, thank you for your thoughtful, wonderful replies. We're truly blessed to have so many delightful internet companions. Next weekend I'm taking a trip to the other humane society I know of in the area. If "the one" isn't there, I'll just keep looking! And thanks for the Catster search tip, I think I'll try that too. Reading your posts made my day, you are all the cat's meow! :3
  • Gayla PetersonGayla Peterson An hour from Branson!Member Posts: 221
    edited 3 December, 2006
    I'm SO sorry you aren't in easy driving distance to me!!! I'm black... and cute.... and sweet.....
  • Beastie_and_the_BoysBeastie_and_the_Boys Marquette, MI / ChicagoMember Posts: 17,806 ✭✭✭
    edited 4 December, 2006
    You want a black cat? I know of one that's available! *eyes her "foster" brother Ben* Kalamazoo's not that far either...I think! ;-)
  • Kimi HKimi H SunderlandMember Posts: 2,257
    edited 4 December, 2006
    Oh, my kitty would not have to be black, or any color in particular! (though black cats are certainly striking). I would prefer a male, though, both because they have seemed to be my favorites throughout the years (with the exception of my first cat Bitsy, who was female) and also because I think a male might hit it off better with my doggie. But I like them little and cute OR big and huge and smooshy (Hemingway polydactyl-ness optional but certainly not frowned upon, heehee!). The biggest requirement would be that he has to be able to get along with Eppy, because while I'm also getting him for myself, he's for her too (I'm calling it my Christmas present to myself and her, though if I don't find The One 'till well after the holidays that's fine too). The only other mandatory thing is he's got to love being petted, and purring, and lap sitting, because both Eppy and I are very physical, affectionate ladies! Other than that, he can be any size, shape, or color of the rainbow! (now that I come to think of it, a blue cat might be kind of cool... MOL)! I will look at both of your pages, kitties. We'll see, I might be willing to drive a bit out of my way for that just-so cat. Thanks for being so helpful and supportive! Catster rules!
  • Gina BakerGina Baker CarrolltownMember Posts: 1,004
    edited 4 December, 2006
    Your story is wonderful - I was one of the posters on the original post, so I was wondering what happened! Its funny - I brought Riddick home on Nov. 17th. I live next door to my parents (think "Everybody Loves Raymond") and I was going to see how long it took for my parents to notice that I have another cat (because I knew they'd moan and roll their eyes if I told them in advance). I managed to hold it one whole night - I told Mom on Saturday morning. She loved him. BTW - I'm 36! Trust me - you never feel grown up.