Probably my last Christmas

Comments

• Pat BeckPat Beck Spokane/SouthhillMember Posts: 878
    edited 2 January, 2007
    I went to the Bridge at 14. I was diagnosed as being Hyperthyroid at 11.5. Mom knew that chances were i would not be one of those kitty\'s that live to be 20, but, she decided to make the most of the time we had, and not dwell and what might happen, because, there are no time guarantees for any of us. You will know if the time comes when he has no real quality of life. Many Senior Cats, although, they slow way down, are not suffering, and if he is still eating, drinking, and interacting with you, chances are it\'s not his time to say goodbye, yet. It might help to talk to your Vet and decide together how is is doing and how you feel about end of life issues. Hugs and Prayers to both of you.
  • Stephanie PowisStephanie Powis ShropshireMember Posts: 1
    edited 3 January, 2007
    I understand your pain. My cat Chilly is only 6 years old and has renal failure. He is having fluids weekly and on medication but his weight loss is now so bad it hurts me to pick him up. He is on borrowed time and each day i look at him and wonder if i am doing the right thing. But i guess as \'abbie\' said i will see it in his eyes and you will in Toms. you are certainly not alone.
  • Francesca KinseyFrancesca Kinsey LeducMember Posts: 109
    edited 3 January, 2007
    I know your sad but I think that you definitely should not put him to sleep. I read an article in Cat Fancy recently about a woman who owned a cat that she thought would die of cancer and she assumed that the cat would never improve, but after radiation, the cat is better than ever. She says that if she had given up hope that she could have been denied having her cat around longer. Animals tend to let you know in subtle ways when they want to go and if Tom is still playing and eating, pooping, etc., then he probably isn't ready to go anywhere. Rebecca goes into the vet every 2 weeks for fluids because the Dr. noticed the beginnings of what looked like Kidney failure. We changed her diet, give her fluids and at the last blood test the Dr. said that everything we're doing is making a difference. I personally think that if we had chosen to let go of Rebecca because of her health not being perfect, she probably would have disappointed with us that we didn't fight for her. She has no intention of going anywhere. She has a new dog brother to torture and torment. Cats today are living longer and longer with proper care. I don't think you should let go of Tom. Don't be so sad. I'm sure that the fact that you love him so much will keep him around for many more Christmas'.
  • Carrie ComerCarrie Comer Page CountyMember Posts: 888
    edited 4 January, 2007
    Thanks again to everyone for your support. I had a happy holiday with my family-got a nice stocking. The little guy can now say "t-mommy" and point at me! I was tired of getting called Riley. We finally got some cold days here in Va and the heat is on so for 2 days I have been glued to the heat duct in mom's bathroom. It is quiet in there and she has a fine fluffy bath mat the she moved near the vent so I lay on it and back up to the vent and it is soooo good. I am still doing Tom stuff-got up with mom to check on the baby last night-I feel it is my job. Thank you again for your support-it makes me feel as warm as a heat vent!
  • Maria VMaria V Member Posts: 179
    edited 4 January, 2007
    Oh.. hope your mom or dad and family will be strong enough to carry on when you leave them. 16 years old *hugs* You lived a full life and I hope we all can.
  • Maria VMaria V Member Posts: 179
    edited 4 January, 2007
    I just hope that should you go.. you go in your sleep. Peacefully.
  • Eva viezelEva viezel MontrealMember Posts: 3,008
    edited 4 January, 2007
    We couldn't agree with Rebecca more. 16 years is old. So of course your kit has slowed down. Yes his hearing and eyes are not what they used to be...But that is what happens to all of us kits and humans. Sleeping is OK. and if your kit still has good days playing, well cherish them. When they really are ready to go he will probably stop eating and even then a visit to vet and you never know. Mom had a friend whose kit lived to be 25 and died gently in his sleep. Hope to hear from you next Christmas!
  • Patricia HodgePatricia Hodge WatertownMember Posts: 14,819
    edited 4 January, 2007
    I am sorry to hear the sad news but mommie knows how you feel. She had to have Bear In Memory Always PTS, three years ago in Dec.. she was almost 13, she had cancer.. she beat it for almost a year but then she started showing that she was feeling pain and having problems, mom had a hard time making the decision. some days Bear would be herself playing and following mom around. She went through thick and thin with mom. She started to sit with mom a lot and purrrrrrrrrrrrr loudly and sometimes she would shiver, mom knew she was telling her it was time.. purrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrs are with you and tom... Azurine
  • Kari SchoenKari Schoen LakewoodMember Posts: 11,056
    edited 13 January, 2007
    Purrs to you Tom, we're purring for you in our kitty prayers. We left you a present and some treats. We agree with Rebecca and Sydney and think you should let nature take it's course, if you can. You sound in generally ok health, but aging and slowing down. That's totally normal. I know it's hard for the humans to watch you change, but you will know when it's time and I know that you will tell them in your own way. You are so blessed to have them take care of you and care so much about you! Keep meowing and purrring!
  • SterlingAndTheSTeamSterlingAndTheSTeam Mount OliveMember Posts: 41,262 ✭✭✭
    edited 13 January, 2007
    When I was a kitten, mom wanted me not to be afraid of traveling in a car, so 3 or 4 times a week, mom and momsmom would drive with me to the DQ for a milkshake. Mom is a chocoholic, but momsmom would get a banana shake and they always brought a little saucer so I could get a little of the banana shake. We would be in the car, with my fluffy tail in mom\'s face while I licked my saucer, and people would point and smile that it was a cat in the car and not a dog. Mom and momsmom gained 5 pounds and once I grew up, I still didn\'t like riding in a car! Anyway, live with Tom one day at a time. Treat everyday as it would be the last. Love him, hug him, kiss him . . . . soak in his being enough to last you until you meet again at the Bridge -- and you WILL meet again. Purrs and Love, Aragorn
  • Crystal AllenCrystal Allen ProvoMember Posts: 105
    edited 23 January, 2007
    I\'m glad you have a nice warm place to sleep. When I wasn\'t feeling well, my mommy would get out the heating pad, and put it inside the pillowcase of my favorite sleeping pillow. Then she would lay by me and pet me until I fell asleep. At my grandma\'s house, I\'d sleep on the heater vents though.
    edited 26 January, 2007
    Hi to all- I am still having good and bad days. This week I have started throwing up at least once or twice a day:(( Mom is used to hairballs-I get those a lot, but his is different. I am having days where I act like me, and days where I lay down on the heat duct and won\'t move for anything and if I do I howel. Mom is making me as comfy as possible but the vet man says that I am just aging and there is nothing more to be done at this point (unless she wants to get real invasive or due lots of test and leave me at his office). He said the best th ing is enjoy what we can and the time we had-not to do tests that will just come back to say I\'m old. I could have told her that! Silly old momma, there just isn\'t a cure for getting old. So we do the best we can with what time we have. Mom says if I have 2 days in a row of not moving around much and feeling bad (ie howling) that will be my sign to her that I am ready to move on. Till then-full bowl of kibble, clean potty, heat ducts and rest.:^: Tom
  • Susan EdwardsSusan Edwards TurriffMember Posts: 37
    edited 1 February, 2007
    We are thinking of you dear Tom and your Mommy too, and sending our love and I send meows and purrs to you. Mummies are so special and love us always, and are there to help us when we can't help ourselves. Love Mitzi Treasure Bird and Mummy xx
    edited 12 February, 2007
    Happy Valentines to everyone-who would have thought I would be saying that! %:D% I am still here but have slowed down even more the last few days-my tummy seems to stay upset. I just don\'t have much pep in the evening now-won\'t even move out of the way of the baby at bath time (he get dressed and lotioned on mom\'s bed where I sleep, I used to run when he got in the tub-now even once he is out and on the bed yelling at me I just lay there and look at him). Mom is thinking that she may need to move ahead with some plans if things continue, but that would put this all very close to her birthday and she would prefer it to be a random day so she won\'t have a reminder every year. Mom\'s are silly things. I am going now-it is time for a nap. Happy V-day! Hope you enjoy! I heard that I get a special treat-my fave can food! Yum!:^: Thomas
  • Pat BeckPat Beck Spokane/SouthhillMember Posts: 878
    edited 12 February, 2007
    You have had a long and good life, and when it's time to welcome you to the Bridge, I'll be honored to greet you. But, I hope that isn't for awhile yet. You'll know when it's time. Until then, continue to make memories with your family. Love, Heidi in Memory
  • Roxann RobbinsRoxann Robbins Member Posts: 3,268
    edited 21 February, 2007
    We're so glad you had a nice Valentine's Day! We had a nice one too. Hope you are happy and comfortable this evening =) Lovins, Tuesday and Mystery
    edited 1 June, 2007
    Hi to all%:D% Tommy just checking in. Not sure if this will pop up now it has been a while since my post. Well-I am doing ok. Got a bath this week (ugh), getting up on the bed and moving ok. I even go in and watch the little man get a bath now-he tries to splash me. But I keep going back. Still eating and keeping the dog in her place. Mom has worked with the little boy on gentle hands and now he gives me hugs at night. I don\'t mind it-I look for him if he forgets. And I like to rest in his room at night-when he is in the topless kid crate with his blankie and teddy and sleeping. Mom calls it a crib-whatever. Overall mom can\'t get over how well I am doing lately. She is even toying with giving me and the Riley our own web pages and has dug out some old college pictures of her and me in the old days-groovey! And she is planning to upgrade our food a bit. She has samples for me to try-if I like it then we can move. Riley can just adjust-I rule his little world again. Mom hopes I keep up my improved outlook. I\'m no spring chicken but there is still some pep in my step:))!
  • Sarah ManolisSarah Manolis San FranciscoMember Posts: 148
    edited 1 June, 2007
    What a blessing. I read the first post in this thread and I was literally in tears. I just graduated college and am in my very early 20s and I just got Jack. I was thinking the other night, with the lifespan of cats, this little man is going to see me through a lot! It was so great to read this last post and see Tom, not only living past Christmas, but well into summer. I would say as long as Tom is still eating and seeming in good spirits, keep him around! He's a miracle cat, it seems. Congratulations and I wish all you guys the best. sarah & jack
    edited 2 June, 2007
    Jacks mom- Play your cards right and they will see you though things you can\'t even imagine now!!! First day at a \"real\" job, boys, the right boy, job changes, moves, and for me-my little boy. Tom was and is my best friend from collge-and I hear from him at times other than Christmas:)) I scratch his head a lot and say \"did you ever think we would be here when you first came to live with me\". He has been such a good freind.:^:
  • vicki coastvicki coast Member Posts: 5
    edited 3 June, 2007
    hi from shadow and itsy\'s mom, i was and am so glad to know your still with your beloved thomas.;P;P;P is awesome he is doing so well, hang in there as when the time comes he will show you the way. take lots of pictures and videos, we did that with our dog maxwell. i still miss him and its been 22 years this coming christmas:((:((, but i have his memories giving me joy, i hope you are able to enjoy this summer with your baby . he is a beautiful boy meow and hugs|:||:|
  • Niki MattsonNiki Mattson St. PaulMember Posts: 20,360
    edited 3 June, 2007
    I'm so glad you are doing so well, Tom! I had a feeling that you would last out the holidays and much more!
  • Jenna LuskJenna Lusk Pacific NWMember Posts: 2,034
    edited 4 June, 2007
    Tom's mommy, I have been so happy to see your boy still up and around (and in the Lost group!). I know how it feels to see your friend get old. I got Abbie when I was 20, so I became an adult with her by my side. Losing her when I was 38 was difficult because I had never known adult life without her. But our adventure together was so wonderful. She helped me through bad relationships, night school, good relationships, more night school, finally getting "the" job, finally getting "the" guy, finally buying a house, miscarriages, infertility, finally having a baby... and she was my best friend through the whole thing. Now, I don't get sad when I think about her. I just think about the incredible life we had together and how lucky I was to have her by my side for all those years. Jack's mom, I hope you get to have all of that, too (minus the wrong guys and the miscarriages, that is). Now that I have two young kitties, Binks and Matilda, I realize that they will be with me through totally different things than my first kitties were. I hope I get to have them with me as long as I had Abbie - or longer would be nice, too. Jenna
  • Roxann RobbinsRoxann Robbins Member Posts: 3,268
    edited 4 June, 2007
    Wowie! We are both so happy to hear you\'re up and all! How nice to check and find such good news! You\'ve had your Christmas, New Years, Valentine\'s Day, Easter, Mothers Day with your human mommy, Memorial Day...and now looking towards summertime =) We will keep up the chorus of purrrs! Enjoy! Tuesday and daughter Mystery
    edited 4 June, 2007
    Awwww-thanks everyone for the good thoughts:h: Abbie-we didn\'t know you were Binks big sis! We like to talk with Binks on the Lost group. Mom says this summer we can get season 2 watch it again-just her the kitties (Katie can go outside for a bit and we will watch while little man naps)! Happy Joy! We will keep checking in and letting everyone know how it is going. I was a little stiff yesterday (rainy cool day) so I got some extra snuggles. Little guy wanted to give me a hug, but mom told him a kiss on the head was all cause I didn\'t feel good so I got a kiss and \"poor kitty\". Nice. And Riley and I are on a new food-yummy stuff too. Mom says she will see how the tummys like it and get more if it is ok. Mom is worried that when my time comes, Riley will be lonely. He is not the most social and he is a little \"off\"-the vet guesses he was a feral cat that was misidentified and got in the shelter as lost. He likes me and mom. End of story. She thinks he will not hold up well without me. Don\'t know-he might just perk up and be his own little fella. Without my omnipresent King Cattness to live up to:)) But hopefully it will be a long time before we find out. Right now it\'s summer time and the livin\' is easy=; Thomas
  • edited 4 June, 2007
    I hope that you feel better Thomas...Leonidas
  • Faye DufourFaye Dufour Destrehan, LA/New Orleans areaMember Posts: 4,648
    edited 5 June, 2007
    Dear Thomas: We are all so glad to read you are still doing well in your wonderful home. My brother Louie and my adopted brother Benny and I know how great it is when you adopt a human what loves you. My meowmy knows what it is to lose a beloved cat - she lost four at one time in Hurricane Katrina, Thomas O'Malley (gray tabby 3 years old), Brothers and sister, Jimmy Dean, Benny Grunch I, and Alice Giroir (5 months old - orange tabbies). We adopted her in May, 2006, and she said we have healed the hole in her heart. Please let your meowmy know that when you do leave for the Rainbow Bridge, you will be keeping out, and when you spot the perfect kitty to adopt your meowmy and family, you will put your paw down, pat that kitty on the head, and it will find your family. My meowmy says she knows we were sent to her by her Bridge Babies. It is always hard to think about our furbabies leaving us, but know that all of us kitties will be thinking about your meowmy and when you must leave for the Rainbow Bridge, we will be there to comfort her. Yours in Catitude, Emma, Louis and Benny P.S. We always enjoy reading about kitties who have completely taken over their families and homes.
    edited 5 June, 2007
    Aww Emma-thank you. Mommy said she is so sorry for your mom\'s lost but glad that you have helped her through a tough time. Purrs- Thomas
  • CJ BetancourtCJ Betancourt CongressMember Posts: 26,047
    edited 7 June, 2007
    Dearest Thomas- I was very touched by your story and can not help but think that what you need is a special guardian angel of your own to look over you. I belong to a group that matches kitties in need with guardian angels. It is a new group started in honor of June Adopt a Cat Month. We Catsters wanted to celebrate. I have a list of Angel Kitties who have expressed an interest in a kitty just like you, and would love to match you up with a guardian angel. Never underestimate the power of the purr! Please say yes. We just want you to know that we care about you. Purrs from Tayla
    edited 12 June, 2007
    I would love a guardian angel kitty!!! Still having a good summer. The bad dog barked at me last night and pulled scarey Halloween kitty face on her-:)) The little boy laughed and then Katie backed into him (in utter fear of the man) and he fell on his bum. He cried, mom hugged, Katie ran out of the room to go to her crate, and I stretched out on mom\'s pillow again and went to sleep. I rule with an iron claw. Riley stayed under the bed the whole time. I have to stay to keep the dog from bothering Riley. Mom said so. Who else will keep the peace around here::o Purrs-Tom:^:
  • Michelle MelvilleMichelle Melville Member Posts: 96
    edited 4 July, 2007
    Good to see you still up and about Thomas. Sadly there is no cure for old age. We can all only hope that our senior years are full of love and respect. Things slow down, we don't see or eat as well because we're not as active. Purrs for continuing healthy days.