Probably my last Christmas

124»

Comments

• Jennifer FestaJennifer Festa Capitola/Santa Cruz/CaliforniaMember Posts: 864
    edited 9 April, 2008
    Love and purrs to Thomas and his family. We are purring for you here at my house and sending you our love. What a wonderful life you and Tom had together! |:| Love, Alex, Raymond, Toot, Busby and humans
  • Roxann RobbinsRoxann Robbins Member Posts: 3,268
    edited 9 April, 2008
    I'm sooo happy to meet you in purrrson, Tom! See, you got to see a couple of extra Christmasses =; Good work, my friend! Who woulda thought! Now we can just hang out here at The Bridge and have a fun retirement...run around and stuff. I send purrrs to your family until you meet again. Your Angelpal, Biscuit
  • Carrie ComerCarrie Comer Page CountyMember Posts: 888
    edited 9 April, 2008
    Thanks again to all of you. I am not crying near as much as I was. It was funny last night sitting with Riley and talking about Tom-Riley had two big tears roll down his face. He has done this before (typically after he has gotten into something) but it was like my little buddy was crying for his freind too. I almost feel like despite missing him so much, a weight is lifted because I know he is not in pain. It was to the point that my time with Tom was filled with thinking \"poor old kitty\" and constant debates of what to do. Honestly I was hoping selfishly that he would pass in his sleep and I would not have to make the call. He lost his sight in Jan and some days he did ok with it and others he would seem so lost. I tried to help him along (keeping things in a set spot for him, not moving stuff much) and he did better for a bit. But this past weekend it was clear things had taken a turn and it was not good. Nor was it fair to make him keep going just because I didn\'t want to see him leave. I think Riley knew this too. When I came home with him, before I buried him I gave Riley a chance to say good bye and I did that with Katie too-they both seemed to get it. I did get a St Francis medal from my vet that I buried with Tom-I took him to a Blessing of the Animals once years ago. I mailed a thank you card to the vet\'s office to for thier kindness to me and my Tom. My next steps I think are to post some more photos of Tom and order his marker. I found one that is a simple engraved river stone-he would like that. He was always trying to get outside and he loved the water so it suits him. He was a tough old bird-he had allergies and was on steriods all his life (why he was given up in the first place), he had cancer that was treated 10 years ago, he warned me of a kitchen fire in the first 6 months I had him (I told him that was his ticket to cruise after a being the hero on that one), he was a bit overweight and awnry at times. But he was also my dear, dear freind. I am so sad that he is gone but happy too because I feel that he is at peace. And thank you again for all the kind thoughts-it helps so much.
  • RufusRufus BostonMember Posts: 4,371 ✭✭✭
    edited 9 April, 2008
    I'm sorry I never got the chance to know you. You sure are a handsome black kitty. Purrs for you and your family, Jack Matt

Rufus - In Loving Memory 12/17/07
    Official Spokescat for:
    Bobcat - Fluffy Angel 4/19/11 >^..^< Briana - Little Angel Girl 1/7/17 >^..^< Jack Matthew Cash >^..^< Hamlet

• Jenna LuskJenna Lusk Pacific NWMember Posts: 2,034
    edited 9 April, 2008
    I just saw this and am so sorry. Looking back on this thread, I realized that I was the first person to respond - and I still feel like I understand what you are going through. That final decision to put Abbie to sleep was difficult, but she made it easier by telling me it was time. Toward the end of her life, I would secretly hope that she was pass quietly in her sleep so that I wouldn't have to make that decision. She never did - I think she just really would have held out as long as possible just to be near me. But , like you, I couldn't let her suffer. And I couldn't be selfish. And, yes, there was quite a bit of relief when it was over. I could begin to mourn finally, instead of constantly worrying about my baby and when it was the right time. I'm sure you've found that having a small child around helps. My daughter asked me, right after Abbie left us, if Abbie had gone to heaven in a car, a truck or a mini-van. I was so distraught, but the images that came to my mind were so funny that I had to laugh. And having someone else's needs to tend to was a big help. I couldn't just sit around and wallow, although I surely wanted to! It's been two years now and the pain has eased. I can now think of Abbie's life and smile at all the wonderful memories. Just like you and Tom, Abbie went through my young adulthood with me, watching me make all those mistakes and finally sharing my new family with me. My heart is with you. But my joy is, too, as you were given so much extra time with your boy and got to shower him with love before he made his journey. I'm sad, too, as it's never easy to say good-bye to someone so important and so loved.
  • JessicaJessica Long Island, New YorkMember Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭
    edited 10 April, 2008
    Oh..Tom was such a fighter. It is sad that he has crossed the bridge, but he can now watch over his family as a young and strong cat.
  • Pat BeckPat Beck Spokane/SouthhillMember Posts: 878
    edited 10 April, 2008
    Oh Thomas what a grand guy you were and what a great life you had. I know how dearly you will be missed. Please do us a favor, when you run into a beautiful grey and white tuxedo, and her name is Heidi, please give her a great old hug and tell her Sister\'s are trying to keep Mom in line, and although she\'s been gone for 2.5 years, Mom thinks of her everyday, sometimes with tears, but mostly with smiles. Mom misses her, but, she\'s so glad Heidi was in her life. We know that\'s how your family feels about you!! Be with the Angels |:|
  • Carrie ComerCarrie Comer Page CountyMember Posts: 888
    edited 11 April, 2008
    Thank you again for all the kind thoughts and words, the gifts for Tom, and the invites to join groups for furry ones who have left us. I am still missing my boy very much but am currently focusing on getting Riley too interact more with the family and the dog. He wants to be with us more, but he is just such a skiddish boy even after 10 years with me. In time I am sure he will adjust.
124»