Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

My kitty loves beer

Kiran Kaur SainiKiran Kaur Saini BurbankMember Posts: 54
edited 12 December, 2006 in Food & Nutrition
Is it okay for him to have some? Or should I keep depriving him.

Comments

• Desiree JohnsonDesiree Johnson RosevilleMember Posts: 3,736
    edited 6 December, 2006
    I'd say no acholholic beverages.Actually,no human food or drinks at all!Unless it's something like chicken,beef or fish as a occasional treat.
  • Toffy_VanessaToffy_Vanessa Member Posts: 4,074 ✭✭
    edited 6 December, 2006
    I believe any human who gives alcohol to their pets is being abusive and irresponsible. Here's an article on the subject: http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&C=216&A=2059&S=1
  • Kiran Kaur SainiKiran Kaur Saini BurbankMember Posts: 54
    edited 6 December, 2006
    Oh dear, what a terrifying article! Well, that answers that. But if it's poisonous for him, why does he try so hard to get it? He's not really interested in any other people food. p.s. You know, I wasn't really asking what you thought of me personally or any other pet owner, I was asking whether it was safe for him to have some. I don't post here often, and I won't if responses are going to be directed in this fashion. My concerns are primarily for the safety of my cat, and not for other people's judgements. Could you just stick to the subject? Thanks.
  • Heather BellamyHeather Bellamy Perry / StatesboroMember Posts: 5,506
    edited 6 December, 2006
    Hi Simon. Beer, although poisonous to cats, probably tastes pleasant to them. Like antifreeze. Just a teaspoon of that stuff is enough to kill a cat, yet it has a very pleasant taste so kitties will drink it if given the opportunity. I think it's probably the same thing with beer--good taste but potentially deadly.
  • Melissa FordMelissa Ford Santa CruzMember Posts: 3,914
    edited 6 December, 2006
    Simon, not a good idea, as it is poisonous and one never can tell how much it too much. Antifreeze is poisonous too, but cats and dogs love the taste, because it is so sweet. So I can't tell you why he wants to drink it, only that it tastes good to him for some reason.
  • Christina FarmerChristina Farmer VictoriaMember Posts: 227
    edited 6 December, 2006
    I\'ve been told that a felines life-expectancy goes down, way way down, if we drink beer. And If you think about it, the long-term effects that alcohol can have on humans is 100 times worse on tiny little kitties like us. No alcohol is \"safe\" for any animal (nor for humans either) so I would just stick to the basics. Water and Milk! Meow...
  • Melinda BMelinda B Member Posts: 1,628
    edited 6 December, 2006
    Tee hee, and I wouldn't even drink milk! Adult kitties are lactose intolerant, I think. At least all of us are!
  • eva pennyeva penny chehalisMember Posts: 528
    edited 6 December, 2006
    I'm happy that someone posted this question. I was going to but they beat me to it :) Tucker tries to drink my husband's beer everytime he gets the chance. Now we know not even a sip is okay. Poor Tucker :( He really was determined to become alcoholic kitten.
  • Karin PruessnerKarin Pruessner DurbanMember Posts: 2,110
    edited 6 December, 2006
    Keep the legal drinking age in mind: is your kitty older than 21?? :-)
  • Julie BellizziJulie Bellizzi StaffordMember Posts: 196
    edited 6 December, 2006
    Heh heh....well technically alcohol is poisonous to people too.
  • Amy LastAmy Last San DiegoMember Posts: 59
    edited 6 December, 2006
    I LOVE beer... mom has to keep a close eye when daddy has friends over for the football games, I have been known to sneak into the room and start licking the bottle. Mom gets sooo mad, she isn\'t sure where I learned the taste of beer but she says I have been an alcohilic since I was a baby and I have to go to jail (my crate) if I even have one taste of it... she said she read somewhere that cats are natural alcoholics and all mommys have to be careful not to let us get drunk on anything besides catmilk and catnip.
    edited 6 December, 2006
    MOL good point Pippin;-)
  • Jill McWhiteJill McWhite Duke City, Land of EnchantmentMember Posts: 1,098
    edited 6 December, 2006
    I like beer too, and I especially like wine. Mom always thought it was just me, but it looks like I am not alone. While I have never consumed a vast quantity, I have been caught with my head in a glass on more than one occastion. Mom never knew it could be dangerous, she just thought it was kind of gross sharing a drink with me, seeing that I clean myself with my tongue. She will be more careful in the future, but just so no one panics, it seems that a small amount didn't cause any acute affects.
  • Cassandra GriffinCassandra Griffin OmahaMember Posts: 4,662
    edited 6 December, 2006
    good one punky!MOL
    edited 7 December, 2006
    Have you guys ever heard of those birds that get drunk off eating fermented fruit and berries? They fall off branches and fly into windows. It sounds funny, but when you think about it it is so sad:-(
  • Ellie(Elinore) ClarkEllie(Elinore) Clark Member Posts: 9,364
    edited 7 December, 2006
    Hmmm, not a good idea-especially for small bodies. I would gain weight and die young if I had beer plus my food. Not a good idea ! Yes, it is natural for some animals to want beer,etc. but it is the same for youngsters too-they like it, but do we give it to them?
  • Beastie_and_the_BoysBeastie_and_the_Boys Marquette, MI / ChicagoMember Posts: 17,807 ✭✭✭
    edited 8 December, 2006
    That's true, Pippin! Alcohol is poisonous to pretty much all living things. I guess the big issue here is that blood alcohol levels have to do with the amount consumed vs. body weight. A human might weigh ten times or more than a cat weighs, so they can drink some alcohol without it becoming toxic but we're so much smaller that it doesn't take very much for the alcohol in our blood to reach potentially fatal levels. It does taste good, and a tiny lick might not kill you but it's probably not worth the risk. Ask you human for some cat milk instead. :-)
  • Leila SakuraLeila Sakura Emo LaneMember Posts: 17
    edited 12 December, 2006
    Hmmm....My idol drinks wine. But I'm a lil' kitten. I'm WAY too young to drink. Misstress says it's not good for cats. Sigh! Wish I was a human....