Fatty Liver Disease

Heather ZimmerHeather Zimmer A warm lap in PhoenixMember Posts: 30
edited 21 December, 2006 in Food & Nutrition
I have a fatty liver disease and my Mom is feeing me Prescription a/d. Her vet indicated she was to feed me three syringes every day, with 20-25 cc's. But, I am still not better, and it's been 10 days. I am showing strong signs...but still lethargic and unhappy. We went to the website and it said I was suppossed to get nearly 2 cans worth of this diet (5.5 OZ) and that's roughly 250 cc's of food! Mom wonders why her vet thought I should get only 60-75 cc's? She also is trying to feed me more, so we are doing 120+ cc's a day, but that's still not enough? Should we double each dose (I eat 4-5 times a day) to 40 cc's worth? I have only thrown up once, and it wasn't that much. What do you think? My ears are soooo yellow, and I show such little energy.

Comments

• Melissa FordMelissa Ford Santa CruzMember Posts: 3,914
    edited 15 December, 2006
    First, let me say how sorry I am that you are having to deal w/ this. It is a very difficult disease, but completely curable. Persistance is the key to winning this battle. From what I understand, you are feeding 20cc, 4-5 times daily for a total of 80-100cc/day, correct? If you are holding food down, then it should be gradually increased until you are eating a proper amount of calories. This can be acomplished by adding additional feedings or adding more to each feeding. This depends on the cat. We want to try and keep stress to a minimum. If you don't mind the force feedings, then what I would do is start feeding the same amt. of food but split it into 3 meals intead of 4 or 5. So you'd feed 30cc per feeding (total 90cc). If you hold that down, then I would slowing increase the amt. each feeding. Start w/ 4occ/feeding. If any vomiting occurs, go back to the last days feeding for a day. If you hate force feeding, and your parents can only manage to get small amounts into you at a time, then I would continue feeding 4-5 times per day and gradually increase the amount to each feeding. So you'd start feeding 30cc/feeding for 4-5 times (total of 120cc-150cc). Keeping increasing the amount until you reach the correct amt. Same rule applies for vomiting. There are several cats here on Catster that have gone through this. One I know, Boxer, had a long haul w/Hepatic Lipidosis. I know he and his mom would love to help too if you need advice or just moral support. http://www.catster.com/pet_page.php?i=339705 Good Luck, and please feel free to pomail me if you need anything.
  • Heather ZimmerHeather Zimmer A warm lap in PhoenixMember Posts: 30
    edited 15 December, 2006
    Thank you so much for your support. Actually, I read Boxer's profile and that is what gives me hope. Mom read it outloud to Dad one night, and then we got renewed energy. We aren't 100 percent sure of this diagnoses, but we are pretty certain - based on blood tests. Mom and Dad just moved in together (look at my profile) and I have all these brothers and a sister, not to mention my regular human brother, all in the same house now! I think I got so excited, I just forgot I needed to eat. Also, I was terribly heavy. I used to weigh 14 lbs and I am a small cat, with short legs. Dad called me a meatloaf. I couldn't afford to stop eating! Mom is able to get me 3-5 feedings of 25 cc's each. She's able to keep the food down, too. We stopped the Reglan this week, and haven't had any problems. I share the same fluids as my brother, now, who has a kidney failure! Our house is somewhat of a mess. Mom was able to get my original brother online so you can see us, but we need to post more photos of our other friends soon. In the meantime, Mom read that I need 200 cc's of food a day, at a minimum. So she's staying up late to give me one more feeding. I have had nearly 40 cc's at every feeding and this would be my fourth. We are aiming to meet 160 cc's a day. I hope that keeps me going. Snow
    edited 15 December, 2006
    Snow, It sounds like you are able to hold down the extra food. Good job. Have your mom feed you the 40cc at each feeding for a daynor 2 to make sure there will be no vomiting. Then increase it to 50cc/feeding. You'll be up to the 200cc you need/day.
  • Martha EubanksMartha Eubanks Member Posts: 7,349
    edited 16 December, 2006
    I know you probably don't want to hear this, but I think you need to know. Last year I died do to liver issues. Now, they never did pin down exactly what it was because mommy didn't want a necropsy. She said she didn't want to know if she had waited one more day to let me go, if I would have gotten better. You can go to my page to see the full story of what happened to me. But, basically, I was in the hospital for almost 2 weeks. The doctors think it was fatty liver, at least at first. They force fed me the special food, and my enzymes went down and I started to rally. My enzymes went down to nearly normal, but then my bilirubin spiked and I couldn't walk or control my bowel or bladder or anything. Mommy ended up letting me go because I was in so much pain and the doctor had gotten to the point that he said that God would have to will me to live for me to survive. I hope you have a much happier story. Tell your mommy to pmail my mommy if she needs any support or advice from someone who has been there.
    edited 18 December, 2006
    I am eating more, and not throwing up, but not getting any better, either. I am hanging in there, and my Mom and Dad are frustrated because they want me to feel better. I can eat 120cc's a day without throwing up, and nearly 150...once I threw up when we got to 160. I am not taking any reglan, and occassionally some people antacid. I know I am very sick, and I might die. I keep hoping for a miracle. Thanks for all the posts and support. Mom's e-mail is [email protected], if you wish. Snow
  • Kim PillsburyKim Pillsbury Member Posts: 199
    edited 18 December, 2006
    Hi Snow, Boxer here. Listen to Hunter, that kitty has literally helped save my life and my brother Gypsy's too. Hunter is one very smart kitty. I am glad to see you are feeding more because that is what happened at the vet for me too, they didn't really explain how much I was supposed to increase to. They said "start with...." and I don't think I heard about the increasing part but once I started getting the right amount of calories in I got better pretty rapidly. I will tell you it took 8 weeks of constant feeding for me to get better so don't give up hope afte r 10 days you may have a long way to go. My vet stressed to me too it takes time and the most important thing is the nutritional support. Here's some tips: We mixed a tiny bit of water in with the AD to make it easier to feed but you don't want it runny because you don't want to choke Snow with it, just smooth enough to go through the syringe decently. Also wrapping Boxer in a towel while feeding was a huge help. My husband held him in place while I did the feeding. Right before he started eating on his own we were giving about 70+ccs 3x day and Boxer was about 9# at the time (he is growing quite chubby now that his appetite is back). I also spent lots of time just sitting with him (I'd read or something) but the not eating starts with stress so giving them comfort is important. If I think of anything else I will write again or if you have any specific questions post them here or email me, I sent you my address. OH at some point, appetite stimulants can help too. We actually got them but then he started eating on his own that same day so we didn't end up needing them but still he had them a few days during his transition back to eating on his own. Don't discourage, this is a disease that can be cured as long as you are vigilant. Feeding is the cure. ::: purrs ::: Boxer
    edited 18 December, 2006
    Snow, I just reread your profile a bit closer and see you are blind and also that you just moved in with another whole family. Also that you are getting fluids (that's good - stay hydrated!) I am wondering as a blind kitty in a new environment that there might be some extra care needed to get you healthy. How do you and LC get along and where in the house was your old territory and where is your new territory? Also did you move into a new place and do you know your way around yet? Just some things I was thinking about that might be contributing to your not wanting to eat. Understanding your situation a bit more will help us all help you get better.
    edited 18 December, 2006
    Snow, Keep feeding the 150ml for a few days, then you can try to increase the feedings again. If the vomiting happens after the increased feeding, ask your vet for a small amount of regalan, as this will help w/ the nausea. Keep up the good work, you are on the road to recovery, it just takes persistance. Purring for you!!! Boxer, thanks for the kind words. Glad to hear you and Gypsy are doing well!!!
  • Pamela HaneyPamela Haney Old ForgeMember Posts: 893
    edited 18 December, 2006
    Hi ther Snow! We don't have any experience with this issue but we wanted to let you know we are sending purrs your way for you to get better real soon!!!!! Puuurrrrrr Puuuurrrrrr Puuuuuurrrrrrrrrrrr Puuuuuuuurrrrrrrrr Puuuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr Puuuuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrrrrr Puuuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
    edited 18 December, 2006
    Everyone, this is so exciting to know we have other kitties who know and care for us. When Mom brought me home with Max (my human brother) I was so scared, I hid under the bed for a week. LC was there, and he was a terror, but it turned out his bite was far more loving than I thought! I often found time to clean his ears and sleep on the couch with him, but he never failed to remind me that I was not in charge. That's okay, because Mom and Max loved me anyhow, and I got to sleep on my now Dad's lap EVERY time he came over! Before we moved into our new home, Dad introduced 1 cat of his at a time (he had four, but we only brought 3 to our house.) He first let CB come over, because he's dominate like LC. The sad thing was that LC was so intent on bugging CB, he stopped bugging me. I was okay, because I still had Scott's lap quite often and I could sleep with Mom nearly every night. By the time all five of us were at Mom's, I was overwhelmed, but still eating and purring a lot. I was happy to have Dad around all the time now, and eagerly enjoying everything. Mom even has a photo of me eating with LC and the other cats standing behind us. I had to eventually let them in, but I got there first! :-) I became blind about a year ago....and I barely noticed it. My balance and depth perception were off, but my attitude was the same and I knew my way around the house. Mom thinks we need to spend more love time together, and Dad is certain the new house is frightening because the furniture and the rooms are all placed in new spots. I don't have my regular haunt until now, now I have a room that is all mine! Dad called Mom at work to tell her that I meowed "hello" to him this afternoon when he walked in the door. I can see all the kitties come use the litter box and eat, and I see Mom, Dad and Max come in the door. I like my new closet with a window, and I like that everyone pets me when they come in and out. I purr sometimes and give them a small mew... Mom will keep working towards 200 cc's and I will try not to puke. One can only hope, right?
  • SterlingAndTheSTeamSterlingAndTheSTeam Mount OliveMember Posts: 41,262 ✭✭✭
    edited 18 December, 2006
    We dont' have any advice, just positive purrs for you to get well, Snow. Purring, purring, purring ................................... The A Team: Apollo, Athena and Aragorn
  • Alana RobertsAlana Roberts BrooklynMember Posts: 758
    edited 19 December, 2006
    Theres a website that has some info you might find helpful they talk about diet managing illness, heres what they say about fatty liver disease.. This is the most common metabolic liver disease of cats. Overweight cats that go longer than 48 hours without eating, for any reason, are in danger of developing this serious disease. Feeding a high-protein, low-carbohydrate diet helps keep cats at an optimal, healthy body weight. Purrs Wolfie and Family
    edited 19 December, 2006
    How are you feeling today, Snow?
  • 1JazzKat Paw1JazzKat Paw MontrealMember Posts: 115
    edited 21 December, 2006
    When my kitty Pandora stopped eating because she had an obstruction (turned out be a terrible hairball) she still had no appetite after it was expelled, and developped Hepatic Lipadosis - "Fatty Liver Disease" - from not eating anything for 3 days straight. That condition changes how the liver metabolizes food (and if the cat doesn't get an excess of calories, it consumes muscle), so the vet prescribed a high-calorie canned food (one of the "Hills Prescription Diet" foods) that I force-fed her 4 times a day until she started eating on her own. The vet also prescribed tablets of a medication that's used to stimulate the appetite of anorexics (that I made her swallow, greased with margarine). The high quality food cost about $2-3 a can that lasted 2 days each. The idea was to get the digestive system going even if the cat wasn't hungry. Since Pandora is petite to begin with, she was literally a skeleton at that point, and I would do anything to help her gain the fat and muscle back that she needed to protect herself. Thankfully, after 3-4 months of my effort, Pandora put on half of the weight she had lost, and was eating canned food on her own. My technique: I would wrap a towel around her shoulders, and crouch over the cat so she couldn't back up. Then I would scrape fingerfulls of canned food on the barbs of her tongue. By the 3rd month, I got her to eat by shmearing wet cat food on the back of my hand, and Pandora would consume the food as she groomed me. Now she's a compulsive licker, but I don't mind...the vet said that this effort saved Pan's life, and a lot of money from doing this work instead of a vet tech. The other option was a feeding tube. *shudder* I'd suggest you give your kitty 1/2 inch of "femalt" hairball remedy" for a week ($6 a tube at the pet shop or grocery store), and see if he expells any hairballs (one way or the other). I know that your kitty might have another cause of his/her discomfort, but the vet didn't know what was wrong with Pan at first either. (If you need some instructions on how to get your kitty to swallow a pill, bring a towel to the clinic and the vet techs are usually willing to show you the technique for free.) Some of the things I did to get Pan to gain weight might be helpful for you. Feel free to contact me if you have other questions. My vet said that Pandora is completely cured of Hepatic Lepadosis! Best of Luck, Pandora's human
    edited 21 December, 2006
    Hello everyone! I am sitting on the couch today, playing with string and purring for my Mom and Dad. They got home from picking Dad's parents up at the airport and I decided to follow them around the house on the tour..it had been a while since I visited all the other rooms so i figured the tour would do me good! In Mom and Dad's room, I got nostalgic and rubbed up against Mom's legs. But when she picked me up, I quickly jumped out of her arms, ran under the bed (I forgot there were other people there) and then snuck around behind everyone for the balance of the tour. To be honest, I was also a bit scared by Mom's delightful cooing and laughter. She kept bragging that I hadn't been up and about since THANKSGIVING!! She was just crying that I had thrown up this afternoon, and now she's crying again. Humans are baffling. I am eating 120 cc's of food a day (or more!), and I even began mixing in some meatballs of catfood to get me used to eating it. I got up to 160 cc's with 4-5 feedings (a couple days) but began throwing up, so they are making me take Reglan again. It's not fun to get the sub-q fluids, so I fight them now...I even try and scramble out from Dad's control! But, truthfully, the Reglan makes me feel so much better I am still kinda yellow. Mom took some photos to compare. Other than that, I am trying to prove to everyone I am getting better. Mom and Dad are beginning to get frustrated with my syringes, so I get new ones for Christmas. These have O-Rings or something that make them operate smoother. Dad shot Mom in the arm and he also hit the wall across the room with my food this morning! He nearly broke the syringe on the spot. Te he! I just licked my lips and waited for him to calm down...I rather enjoy the feeding when my tummy isn't hurting. I will try and keep you posted over the holidays. Mom is at [email protected] I will send you photos if you want! Mom wants to take some of me playing...when she stops being so emotional, she's been a lot more fun lately...more optimistic and relaxed. Meow at you later! Snow
  • Sarah HarndenSarah Harnden SalemMember Posts: 194
    edited 21 December, 2006
    I WOULD CONTACT YOUR VET AND HAVE A TUBE PLACED INTO YOUR BELLY...this will make force feeding easier and and he may need to be hospitalized on fluids...this is not something to wait on..hepatic lipidosis is truly life threatening...call your vet..
    edited 21 December, 2006
    Snow, Sounds like you are doing pretty well. You are getting a fair amount of food each day and it also sounds like you are trying to be a bit more social. Steps in the right direction. The rubber stoppers in the syringe do wear out over time, causing them to become very difficult to use after a while. You could buy a few more from your vet. They usually cost about $2-4 depending on the size syringe. I find using a 35cc syringe is easier for mom to handle, even if that means filling it up more often. It's easier to push in the plunger than on the 6occ syringes. Also make sure you are getting catheter tipped syringes. They have a wider opening at the end...easier for the food to come out than the standard syringes. Keep up the good work and please keep us updated.
    edited 21 December, 2006
    Snow, so glad to hear you are doing better. I wonder if your throwing up has anything to do with the meatballs added to your food. Maybe you should stick with the AD for now until you are getting as much calories as you need. Also the meatballs are not the same calorie densitiy as the AD so doesn't count as the same if you are totalling it into the CCs you are getting, so figure that in correctly. I know, so much to do! Ask your vet if maybe you are ready for like half a tab of appetite stimulate a day or something to help you transition to eating on your own as well. When you first start getting offered food, it should be something really tantalizing and smelly like fancy feast to entice you, that is the first thing I was willing to eat and to this day I want nothing to do with AD anymore so that is not a good choice to offer you for eating on your own. Keep up the good work and keep us posted. Also send us pics if you get a moment! :: purrs ::: Boxer