Adopting a cat into a home w/ DOG questions!

Jess KJess K Member Posts: 539
edited 18 December, 2006 in Choosing the Right Cat
Hi everyone! This is Snowball's mommy, sadly Snowball passed away almost two months ago and is sorely missed but not forgotten. Myself and the rest of my family are now looking into adopting a kitten. My questions for you is that we have a dog in the home, Kodi. Snowball was in the house first, even before I was, when my dad remarried Snow came with my stepmom, then Kodi became part of the family. Snowball was old to begin with so Kodi and Snowball never really played but left each other alone. Now that we are planning to adopt a kitten I wanted to know if anyone had any suggestions on how I should introduce them? I want the kitten to get along/play with Kodi and vice versa. Anything I should look for in the kitten when I go shelter/rescue searching? Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Gina BakerGina Baker CarrolltownMember Posts: 1,004
    edited 18 December, 2006
    I think you'll be fine. Kodi has already proven himself good with cats (even though he didn't really play with Snowball - he didn't chase or attack either). Just make sure you get a young kitten. Both my cats just adore my 77 pound Catahoula and he loves playing with them. The younger the cat, the more open he/she'll be to bonding and playing actively with the dog. Just monitor their play for a week or so and make sure you have a safe area for the kitten to escape to if things get too rough. Good luck!
  • Melissa FordMelissa Ford Santa CruzMember Posts: 3,914
    edited 18 December, 2006
    A young cat or a cat that has been living with dogs what you want to look for. Make sure you do not leave them together, unsupervisied, until you know the kitty is big enough to protect itself from the dog. Pet introductions Introductions
  • Heather BellamyHeather Bellamy Perry / StatesboroMember Posts: 5,506
    edited 18 December, 2006
    I'd suggest getting a kitten or cat who has been around dogs before. Good luck in your search!
  • Pamela FerrisPamela Ferris RoanokeMember Posts: 150
    edited 18 December, 2006
    My sister, Harmony posted on the Dogster side, check it out!