Decisions, decisions...

Heather BellamyHeather Bellamy Perry / StatesboroMember Posts: 5,506
edited 8 July, 2014 in Food & Nutrition
Mommy is in Florida. Here in Georgia where I live, the only premium food available is Blue because there's no Petco, no other stores at all which carry a variety of premium brands. Mom's been wanting to try Innova or Wellness with us... here's the dilemma. She's only going to be able to go to one store. One store (Pet Supermarket) has Wellness along with Nutro and some other high quality foods (I think--their website isn't set up for online shopping but their ad has some good foods listed). The other store, a pawsome natural foods store (without a website) is listed on naturapet.com as a store which carries Innova. Or, there's Petco, which has Natural Balance. All three of these stores are minutes apart and Mom just can't make up her mind! So between Innova, Wellness, and Natural Balance, which do you guys think's the best food? Tastiest? Right now Mom's leaning towards Wellness but she's heard it's kind of rich so she isn't sure if our tummies will like it... Purrs, LB

Comments

• Yipee LadybugYipee Ladybug Member Posts: 3,805
    edited 22 December, 2006
    Mommy likes to feed us Wellness....we like it too, but sometimes we try to get her to feed us Max Cat or lots and lots of treats. She likes wellness b/c it's has no grain products (the main carb ingredient is sweet potato she believes, but she'll have to check). Mommy tried Innova and we refused to eat it at all. We haven't tried Natural Balance. My mommy recommends that you let Lucky Boo try the various brand....he'll let you know if he can't stand it, is shy at first of the food but then enjoys it, or goes for it straight away. We agree with mommy....more food for us!! Good luck, Lucky Boo, and have fun trying out the new food(s)! Meowy Christmas!
  • Melinda BMelinda B Member Posts: 1,628
    edited 22 December, 2006
    Hi Lucky Boo, Well, me and my two sisters are on Wellness dry and my brother is on Nutro Natural Choice because he had loose stool on Wellness (could have been the Flax Seed). Mommy really wishes he could eat the Wellness. We all eat Natural Balance canned and we LOVE it. So we highly reccommend those. We tried Innova Evo and our poops dried up to sawdust practically, even though we were also on canned and have fresh water every morning!! It was terrible, we ended up dragging our hineys on the carpet. Someone on catster told us something about the high protein content and the kidneys have to work extra hard to digest it. You might want to search for our thread to read that post. Love, Phoebe
  • Nicole MartinNicole Martin CranfordMember Posts: 185
    edited 22 December, 2006
    I know someone posted about the kidneys working harder on another thread but I have to say this is not true. Cats are obligate carnivors which means that they care supposed to have that much protein. The poopies drying up could mean that you just needed to transition more slowly.
  • Heather BellamyHeather Bellamy Perry / StatesboroMember Posts: 5,506
    edited 22 December, 2006
    Well we decided a while ago not to go with EVO because we've heard of a lot of cases where it caused kidney troubles in kitties. We don't want to take that chance with me since I'm already so sick. Plus I am prone to getting urinary crystals. So we don't want to try something that may put too much strain on my kidneys. But we are thinking of trying regular Innova and have heard good things about it. Anymew, Mommy's decided to go to the stores that carry Innova and Wellness and she's going to get some of each. There's a Petco in Savannah, sort of close to where she goes to college, so she can always go there next semester. But there's really nowhere that sells Wellness or Innova around here in GA... but there's always on-line ordering if either food works out well for me and my siblings ;) I just can't wait until Mom gets home from Florida! She's been gone less than 24 hours and already I miss her! Oh well, almost one day down, around three to go! She misses me too, I just know it. I hope she's going to be able to sleep tonight without having the usual two or three cats sharing the bed with her! As for me, I'm pretty sure I'll be fine because Mom's very reliable friend is coming to my house twice a day to feed me, cuddle me, and give me my medicine. My vet recommended doing that instead of boarding so I wouldn't be exposed to the stress of staying in a kennel along with the sick kitties' germs. I'm happy I get to stay home but I'm pretty sure I'd rather be in Florida :)
  • Melinda BMelinda B Member Posts: 1,628
    edited 23 December, 2006
    Woops sorry Lucky Boo. I didn't realize you meant regular Innova and not the Evo. Its too bad theres not a small independent feed store near you to buy those foods. Thats where we buy ours and Mom is always paranoid they will stop selling it and we will have to order online or drive far (not us, Mom. She doesn't let us drive:-O).
  • Jerry MikutisJerry Mikutis ChicagoMember Posts: 135
    edited 23 December, 2006
    Hi Lucky Boo - I think we've talked before about me being on Innova Evo canned - I really liked it when I first started eating it, but lately I don't clean my plate. She does feed me Wellness canned now - it comes in a variety of flavors and I lick my plate clean eating it! I REALLY love the Turkey Salmon blend. When she goes out of town, she gives me Innova Evo dry and I love it - I'm always chowing down. I very rarely get the dry food - only when mom is too busy to buy the wet when we run out or she goes out of town and the wet food gets icky after a few hours. Good luck!
  • Elizabeth KElizabeth K ChicagoMember Posts: 11,036
    edited 23 December, 2006
    We love Wellness here! It's a great food and I have done great on it! Same with my family's last kitty...