Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

Vote for your favorite cat food

Jennifer O'NeilJennifer O'Neil JeffersonvilleMember Posts: 77
edited 15 March, 2012 in Food & Nutrition
Mom is confused about all the posts and info about which cat food is best, so she thought she'd open the floor and ask what other Catsters like - brand, dry/wet, and why you like it. Thanks and Happy New Year!

Comments

• Karen LeeKaren Lee The kingdom of Mer-lotMember Posts: 89,020
    edited 1 January, 2007
    The best cat food is the one that you like to eat, your Human can afford it, and the ingredients are pretty good. You will receive many different responses on food. A good place to start learning about what a good diet should be is http://www.catinfo.org I eat Nature's Variety canned food and sometimes the Nature's Variety Raw Instinct Grain Free dry food. It is premium food. The food is low in carbs which I need because of my diabetes. Sometimes I eat ProPlan canned food for the fish flavor. Nature's Variety doesn't make a fish flavor.
  • brenna collinsbrenna collins Winter Springs/OrlandoMember Posts: 169
    edited 1 January, 2007
    Blue Buffalo...actually made with real ingredients! http://www.bluebuff.com/products/cats-spa-select.shtml
  • Dana OPrayDana OPray TorontoMember Posts: 283
    edited 1 January, 2007
    Oooooo me and my sis Assur LOVE .. and I mean LOVE Nutro Indoor Kitten! We gobble it like its going outta style. Bast will only eat Whiska's Meaty Selection and she is a glossy coated kitty and very healthy. Loki eats Royal Canin but mum is thinking of trying to get her and Bast onto Nutro because we kittens love the kitten food so much! AND I FINALLY have solid stool on Nutro .. so .. mum can't rave enough about it. But as Merlin said, get whatever your cat will eat and what you can afford. I know with Bast it took mum FOREVER finding a food that she would eat on a regular basis.
  • Melissa FordMelissa Ford Santa CruzMember Posts: 3,914
    edited 1 January, 2007
    William, while I agree that you should get the food that fits your budget and that the kitties like and do well on, I was not who said it...It was Merlin. Glad you are having normals stools William. Bet that makes your mom really happy:}
  • Dana OPrayDana OPray TorontoMember Posts: 283
    edited 1 January, 2007
    I realized that after I had reread my post ;} And yes ... my mum is VERY very happy .. finally mum found me a food that is yummy AND good for me .. and no more POOPYPAWS .. and no more throwing out litter after two or three days will be a nice change for mum.
  • Heather BellamyHeather Bellamy Perry / StatesboroMember Posts: 5,506
    edited 1 January, 2007
    We like Blue Buffalo dry food pretty good (although I recently began snubbing it, but that could be 'cause I'm old, sick, and picky). It's healthy, and it has wonderful ingredients. It's the only premium food available to us locally. We are soon to be switching to Solid Gold Katz-N-Flocken mixed with our B.B. though, so it will hopefully be more appealing to me. Mom's going to start ordering our food online anyway, so we figured we'd branch out into brands we can't find locally. For canned, we all love Wellness. I've tried almost every flavor they make and loved them all, especially the chicken and herring, turkey, and turkey and salmon. We will eat B.B. canned foods too... and Innova is really yummy too :) Mommy's going to order us some Pet Promise to try too. It's what her relatives feed their kitties. They've had excellent results with it. Their Meezer lived to be over 20 years old eating it... and she had cancer the last 4 or 5 years of her life. (not to say that she lived so long with her cancer in remission only because of the food, but I'm sure it did contribute somewhat to her longevity).
  • Jana PhillipsJana Phillips RaleighMember Posts: 846
    edited 1 January, 2007
    Our favorite dry: Solid Gold Katz-N-Flocken Why we like it: It tastes good, coat looks amazing and it's low in fat but high in protein! (and it uses lamb as the main meat ingredient so it adds a little variety) Our favorite wet: Meow Mix "Market Selects" Why we like it: It's great for the occasional treat; good ingredients and it has real chunks of shrimp!
    edited 1 January, 2007
    Tig--I'm glad you like the Katz-n-Flocken! We're going to start switching over to it next week. I hope I like it as much as you do!
  • Diana GabaldonDiana Gabaldon PortlandMember Posts: 5,607
    edited 1 January, 2007
    Just a tip. If you shop at a local pet store, some foods have a buy so many - get one free program. I use Natures Recipe and after I buy 10 bags we get one free. I know that other companies have similar programs. We agree with the kitties above that suggest buying whatever kitty will eat and what is in your budget. Purrrrrrrrrrrrs.
    edited 1 January, 2007
    Lucky Boo--I hope you do too! Let us know how you like it :-)
  • Jennifer O'NeilJennifer O'Neil JeffersonvilleMember Posts: 77
    edited 1 January, 2007
    Wow - thanks for the responses! Right now we eat a mixture of dry Science Diet Sensitive Stomach and California Natural. We also get some wet food at dinnertime - either Innova or Wellness. Mom is switching us off the Science Diet, so it's a slow progression to mix in the better stuff. Our local store sells Blue Buffalo so she's going to try that next. We've never heard of Solid Gold, but we'll have to check it out!
    edited 1 January, 2007
    Good to hear, Calla! You can look more at www.solidgoldhealth.com
  • Straw MeltonStraw Melton VancouverMember Posts: 37
    edited 1 January, 2007
    I know this may sound so ordinary but, I like Wiskers (not Friskies), and Science Diet Regular, and Science Diet TD (Oral Care). I have heard good things about EVO but have not tried it yet. But my master only uses dry cat food to clean our teeth. He always says, "Once you've tried raw, you won't go back."
  • Lindsay PoveromoLindsay Poveromo Winter SpringsMember Posts: 350
    edited 2 January, 2007
    We eat Solid Gold Katz-N-Flocken and we LOVE it. The ingredients are wonderful and it leaves us with full bellies and healthy bodies! We do enjoy their wet food, too, as an occasional treat. Our Petsmart doesn't carry it, so we have to make the trip downtown to our local Petco to get it, but it's always there and worth the drive.
  • Stephanie LitosStephanie Litos Member Posts: 210
    edited 2 January, 2007
    I eat Wellness dry food and Innova (Lite) wet food. I am really picky when it comes to wet food and my mom tried what seemed like every single high-quality wet food brand. The Innova is definitely my favorite. Most wet foods I would only try one bite and didn't like, although I did like Triumph, but it made me gassy, and I tolerated Wellness wet, but didn't love it.
  • Melanie BenoitMelanie Benoit CochraneMember Posts: 3,101
    edited 2 January, 2007
    We love Solid Gold Katen Flocken and Orijen too. Mom will switch us too Orijen because Zak is alergic to grains and Orijen contain no grains. We also like to get some Friskies wet cat food once in a while as a treat. Mom say that it keep us inside when the dogs are going out to pee! ;)
  • ZACKandZOEYZACKandZOEY Cave Creek, AZMember Posts: 12,043 ✭✭
    edited 2 January, 2007
    I love Wellness canned, my fav flavors being turkey and turkey & salmon. I also eat a little dry every day and my fav of that is the Chicken Soup for the Cat Lover's Soul Light. All this talk about food is making me hungry!
  • Melanie SzafranMelanie Szafran Member Posts: 7
    edited 2 January, 2007
    My siblings and I all eat Nutro Indoor Weight-Management formula. I\'m the pickiest eater ever, but I love this food. (I maybe love it a little too much because I\'m a little fluffy, if you know what I mean). We all do well on it and have nice beautiful coats. We only eat the dry, because we don\'t care for canned food, but I know they have it in canned as well. Good luck in your search!!!
  • Kris PotterKris Potter Dallas SuburbMember Posts: 1,131
    edited 2 January, 2007
    I love Wellness canned food too! Chicken and Herring rocks! We eat a little Nutro, Merrick and Innova from time to time as well. Nikki and I split a can every night. As for dry food, we primarily eat Science Diet adult. We really didn't like the Wellness much. I also have a private supply of Innova Evo so I can get some extra protein since I'm still a growing kitten. It's tough to feed a kitten and a geezer at the same time who have different nutritional needs!
  • shannon szuszalskishannon szuszalski ABQMember Posts: 1,542
    edited 2 January, 2007
    Our breeder recently told mom about Solid Gold and she has been wanting to try it. Scooter has a sensitive stomach and she is kind of afraid of the switch. Glad to hear other kitties have had good luck with it. We currently eat Iam's dry and an occasional treat of whiskas wet or fancy feast wet for me (makes Scooter sick). Would love to hear from other kitties about the solid gold!
  • Dianne MeeksDianne Meeks ThornhillMember Posts: 7,069
    edited 2 January, 2007
    Hi everykitty :o) Ashley, Smokey, Josie, Tammy and I eat Performatrin Ultra dry crunchies. It has all natural ingredients and no corn or soy or by-products. Quattro stopped eating that though, and started getting skinny, so my mom put her back on her Iams original hairball formula. The first ingredient is Chicken, has no by-products or soy and the corn listing is 3rd or 4th. The only reason why we have to careful of foods with corn is because I am allergic to it! For wet food Ashley, Smokey, Josie, Tammy and I eat Natural Balance, Performatrin Ultra, Newman\'s Own or Solid Gold. We don\'t like the Solid Gold as much. All these foods have high quality ingredients with no soy or corn or by-products. Quattro however, will only eat 9 Lives Tuna select and NOTHING else. She is a very fussy kitty! purrrrrrrrrs from Lily
  • Desiree JohnsonDesiree Johnson RosevilleMember Posts: 3,736
    edited 2 January, 2007
    We aren't ones to buy high priced cat food.We think it's a waste,because a cat can be healthy on any cat food,unless the cat has problems. For dry food,we eat Purina Natural Blend.We have always used Purina brand food,and we love it!Even if it's considered a "medium quality" food,we think it's actually high quality.Not too expensive,either! For wet food,the boys eat Friskies.Amber eats friskies,special kitty,and fancy feast.If we can pick up some fancy feast or special kitty at a good price,we will.Usually we just go with friskies though. ETA: Purina Natural Blend works for all my cats,despite the age difference.I have two three year olds,one five year old with heart problems,and a nine year old.
  • Stuart HarshbargerStuart Harshbarger Member Posts: 1
    edited 2 January, 2007
    Meow Mix. DEFINITELY. Meow Mix.
  • Jennifer O'NeilJennifer O'Neil JeffersonvilleMember Posts: 77
    edited 2 January, 2007
    Thanks everyone! Mom picked up Innova Lite for me tonight, and Natural Balance for the kittens, which was reasonably priced and on the "good" list. Also, someone from another site, recommended this web page of "good, bad and ugly" cat foods, if anyone is interested. http://alter-idem.smartmonkey.org/cats/goodbadandugly.htm
    edited 2 January, 2007
    Calla, I hope you like the Innova lite! I like the regular (I need to gain weight) and my fatsister loves the Lite! She gives it 4 fatpaws up! MOL. (I can badmouth her because she's a meanie, very mean to me) Here's a -- link removed -- , fur anycat who's interested in reading it (I think in her link you just have to take out a space when you copy/paste) The page lists good vs. bad brands but only goes into a small amount of detail about why some foods are good and others, bad. I wish there were some pages for catfood that there are for dogfood, like www.dogfoodanalysis.com and www.dogfoodproject.com... *I just read the page and there's a little profanity in the article that I missed the first time I scanned it. And the link is gone b/c when you edit a post links are automatically taken out.
  • cat shepherdcat shepherd KnoxvilleMember Posts: 6,314
    edited 2 January, 2007
    We like Nutro Indoor, but we have several kitties with poop problems, so the vet recommended Purina One for Sensitive tummies. It's worked for Ollie ... but some of the foster kitties still have diarrhea. We also love Fancy Feast canned food ... especially those new flavors! Mmmmm!
  • Nicole MartinNicole Martin CranfordMember Posts: 185
    edited 2 January, 2007
    I vote for Stella and Chewy's. I've been so much healthier since I switched to it. It's the best!
  • Karen LeeKaren Lee The kingdom of Mer-lotMember Posts: 89,020
    edited 3 January, 2007
    Lucky Boo, here are some cat nutrion links: http://www.catinfo.org http://www.catnutrition.org This Catster post has other good links to learn more about pet food in general: Food For Thought For "as fed" nutritional analysis of canned and dry food: http://www.geocities.com/jmpeerson/canfood.html http://www.geocities.com/jmpeerson/dryfood.html
  • Nat FarNat Far CanadaMember Posts: 542
    edited 3 January, 2007
    Both me and Mika, the dog, eat Fromm. Right now I'm eating the 'duck a la veg' variety. The first three ingredients are duck, duck meal, and pearled barley. It also has vegetables like sweet potatoes, and fruits like apples. It doesn't contain corn or wheat. No by-products either, or BHA or BHT! It's the best food we could find at the pet specialty store. If they sold a canned version at the specialty store, we would buy it, but they don't, so we settle for the dry. A year ago my thyroid level was very high, and I almost had a hyperthyroid. My mom switched me and Mika to Fromm, and a few days ago I found out that, miracles of miracles, my thyroid level has actually gone down! The vets said before that it would steadily increase, and it's doing the opposite! My mom thinks it's because of the holistic Fromm I've been getting, instead of food from the grocery store. It's worked wonders! Another tip: Make sure you get the Four-Star, not the Gold Nutritionals or Fromm Classics. They aren't nearly as healthy as Four-Star, and one or both of them has by-products. Here's the site: http://www.frommfamily.com/
  • Donna LenzDonna Lenz BethelMember Posts: 4,600 ✭✭✭
    edited 3 January, 2007
    We all eat Fancy Feast. Mom bought every can of Medleys PetSmart had when she found it on sale for 36 cents! MOL!!!!!!!!