Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

Vote for your favorite cat food

Comments

• Jonela ZarijaJonela Zarija CasselberryMember Posts: 28
    edited 3 January, 2007
    I love science diet dry food for kittens and I love Addiction moist food... I really love possum and vegetables. I'm very fussy and will not eat chicken, turkey, beef or liver. I LOVE eating Whiskas seafood flavors but my human insists I eat more red meat so Addiction is the only one I'll eat!
  • Sandy StewartSandy Stewart PittsburghMember Posts: 107
    edited 3 January, 2007
    For us mom gives us: Blue Spa (Blue Buffalo) wet Natural Balance wet California Natural (dry) Innova (dry) She likes the ingredients and we love the taste. We're a little bummed because we don't get any fish flavored foods, because when we did, Tyler had bad urine crystals. There's a trace amount of fish in the Innova, but not like the full fledged salmon and tuna stuff she was giving us before.
  • JENN EZRAJENN EZRA LA HABRAMember Posts: 30
    edited 3 January, 2007
    I Love Wellness! Wet and Dry! It's all I've had and it is just delicious and good for me too! No perservatives or fake meat!
  • Veronica NoechelVeronica Noechel RaleighMember Posts: 7
    edited 3 January, 2007
    We love Wellness wet and dry. Mom would prefer that we eat just wet food, but I go on strike (no purrs, no ankle polishing) until she gives us dry again. Yeah, I run the place. My tummy hurts on most other food (I've put in the most years at this place. Well, among the cats anyway. There's a 30 year old turtle who's been here longer, but he's not management material.) I especially like the lobster. I've never heard of possum food like someone else mentioned. I don't know that mom's Brazilian opossum would approve. (I think it sounds tasty though. Don't tell Zombie the opossum though. He has biiiiiiiig teeth.)
  • Susan MavesSusan Maves MaconMember Posts: 6,697
    edited 3 January, 2007
    We all eat Nutro Indoor Adult, and we love it!!!!!!! Mombo gives us the wet food pouches sometimes, as a treat, and we go nuts over those!!!!!! Our coats are really nice, and we're energetic, not a lot of litterbox cleanup and it isn't stinky either!!!
  • Sarah MinerSarah Miner MaplewoodMember Posts: 3,790
    edited 3 January, 2007
    I love Eukanuba indoor cat formula. I wont eat anything else not even turkey.
  • Nat FarNat Far CanadaMember Posts: 542
    edited 4 January, 2007
    One brand I DON'T recommend is Meow Mix. It's like the feline version of Kibbles n' Bits. Terrible ingredients, but great taste...my mom says it reminds her of jelly beans MOL!
  • Gina BakerGina Baker CarrolltownMember Posts: 1,004
    edited 4 January, 2007
    Here's another vote for Solid Gold Katz-n-Flocken. I just switched a few months ago from a commercialized brand (Purina) and its amazing. Ushi's grey fur is so thick and shiny now. I fed the dog Solid Gold due to food intolerances and on a lark, just decided that maybe the cats deserved better food too. Boy-Howdy. What a difference. And a large bag lasts us quite a long time - so the price wasn't as bad as I'd thought it would be. Its a little hard for me to find, though.
  • Maria VMaria V Member Posts: 179
    edited 4 January, 2007
    My brother will eat anything. I grew up on Whiskas on hard and soft food also Friskies hard food since that was the only one available when we were living in China. But now, I seem to just love Fancy Feast in OceanWhite Tuna and Fish in aspic and feast.
  • Maria VMaria V Member Posts: 179
    edited 4 January, 2007
    I love almost anything.. but I've become picky since I realized that food is given to me regularly and I dont have to scavenge from the dumpster where I was resuced. My favorite is Fancy feast and when mom gets the chance SOLID GOLD! That is just the best! But expensive. I love Fancy Feast Hard Food.
  • Destiny JDestiny J Member Posts: 196
    edited 5 January, 2007
    We eat NutroMax Dry/Wet and like it a lot. Mom still wets the dry stuff for us a bit until we get bigger and we like the yummy broth that makes.
  • Tricia Wolff-KeatonTricia Wolff-Keaton hilliardMember Posts: 516
    edited 5 January, 2007
    Purina One senior dry, Natural Life canned
  • Niki MattsonNiki Mattson St. PaulMember Posts: 20,360
    edited 6 January, 2007
    Well, I do like Iams *ducks* Don't hit me! Don't hit me! I know there's some kinda boycott on Iams, but I scarf it down, and it's the only thing we can find at Petsmart and the grocery store. Mommy has a hard time getting to special places. I also like Fancy Feast Gourmet Gold and Kit'n'Kaboodle
  • Alana RobertsAlana Roberts BrooklynMember Posts: 758
    edited 6 January, 2007
    I've been trying to get my girls and the little guy to eat healthier food and they did seem to like Chicken Soup - though they decided they weren't interested in it anymore last month - but despite the fact I know it's the Froot Loops of cat food they love love love Meow Mix. Maybe its the song.... Purrs Mum
  • Phyllis JohnsonPhyllis Johnson BeaumontMember Posts: 3,147
    edited 6 January, 2007
    We like Purina One Senior Cat. Let me clarify that...I like it, Tiger LOVES it. Everytime mom puts some out he eats like he hasn't had a meal in days. All you have to do is look and him know that definitely is not that case.
  • Shelley CoxShelley Cox CarbondaleMember Posts: 2,752
    edited 7 January, 2007
    This is Delyte. I will eat almost anything. The one thing that I wouldn't eat was some kind of healthy turkey and veggies stuff that my person got at Petco. It was so bad that the feral cats outside wouldn't eat it, and my person threw it out into the yard and hopes the racoon or possum will eat it. We get Friskies wet cat food, mostly the salmon dinner which is my absolute favorite, but which we are trying to cut back on because of the fish issues. We also like the Friskies poultry platter. The problem is that Stella is very very finicky and really only wants to eat the cheapest form of dry food. She will only eat part of the wet Friskies and it ends up being given to the ferals usually. For dry I am supposed to be eating Purina NR which we both love. However our person thought that it was too low in protein for the growing kitten, so she is eating Purina One Natural Blend Chicken & Oatmeal, but we both love that and it is the dry food that disappears the fastest. Occasionally our person will cook chicken for us, usually thighs although we both prefer white meat. We had some of the turkey from Christmas for dinners too. Now that we have a Petco in town we can try some of the healthier stuff that our person hears recommended here. But she hates to buy a whole bag because Stella is pretty finicky. The vet wants us to feed only Science Diet but that might have something to do with the fact that they sell it there. From what we hear here it is not very good. And neither of us will eat the canned Science Diet at all. We also both get the occasional can of Fancy Feast and those litte cup things that Meow Mix sells. Delyte did love the Meow Mix packets--it was the only thing he would eat for a while after he started eating from his operation--but Stella hates them so Delyte only gets them once in a while. The ferals get whichever dry cat food has the best grocery coupons and is not too loaded with cornmeal, plus Stella's leftovers, plus some people food leftovers that are mostly meat. They both look pretty great compared to how they looked when they came here, and they both have the heavy, "plushy" coat like Stella, which they need in winter. Although winter has not been too bad here yet.
  • Christy MChristy M Member Posts: 329
    edited 8 January, 2007
    Gosh, it's amazing to see what everyone uses! We eat Royal Canin Indoor 27 dry, and whenever we need stinky goodness (we don't eat it all that often) we get ProPlan Urinary Tract Health. We were eating Purina U/R and before that, Science Diet c/d. Both of them made us vomit ridiculously. Royal Canin seems to be easy on our stomachs and our stool smells much better!
  • Dolores LenzDolores Lenz MissionMember Posts: 341
    edited 8 January, 2007
    We use Fancy Feast wet, Purina One dry and Iams Multicat dry mixed together.
  • Margie WhitteckMargie Whitteck WilmingtonMember Posts: 2,079
    edited 8 January, 2007
    Logan and I like Merrick's. Then when we get picky Mama gives us Fancy Feast. For dry, it's usually Fancy Feast, but Mama just got a free bag of Nutro and we'll be trying that in the next couple of days.
  • Lianne StinsonLianne Stinson OakvilleMember Posts: 182
    edited 9 January, 2007
    My sister and I, love our Felidae. Its got great ingrediants and we love the taste :) Our parents also gives us a little Innova Evo mixed in and sometimes as a treat. We also get a variety of wet food (Merricks, Felidae, Go Natural, DVP, Wellness, Innova, etc..) We look fantastic and are pictures of health! Our parents swear by these foods :)
  • Megan ParnellMegan Parnell Member Posts: 261
    edited 14 January, 2007
    My sister's pretty picky, but us boys will eat ANYTHING. Because of picky Gypsy, we got to taste test a lot of foods. Here's what Mom gives us now... Dry food: Innova (regular) Natural Balance Ultra Wet food: Natural Balance Salmon Natural Balance Ocean Fish Innova EVO Wellness Shrimp, Sardine, and Crab Meat Mom wishes we wouldn't eat so much fishy flavored stuff, but Gypsy boycotts all non-fishy wet food except the EVO. We did get some other foods...Gypsy would eat a little California Natural Herring and Sweet Pototo dry food, but not enough for us to get it added to the regular menu. There are lots of good foods out there. We can't get a lot of brands near where we are. Mom has to drive for an hour and a half round trip to get our groceries as it is! Not much healthy food available nearby.
  • Nancy BeimanNancy Beiman RochesterMember Posts: 22
    edited 14 January, 2007
    I have a food allergy and can't eat chicken, so I'm eating Nature's Logic Rabbit Dinner. This not only has given me a wonderful soft coat, but appears to have cured my heart murmur! and losing a pound wasn't so bad either! I also sometimes eat California Natural Herring and Sweet Potato dry food. I don't like anything that is canned.
  • Heather BellamyHeather Bellamy Perry / StatesboroMember Posts: 5,506
    edited 14 January, 2007
    Gizmo, I'd been hoping to see some input from a Nature's Logic eater! Mommy was thinking of ordering some of that (the canned, not sure which flavor though) but she wasn't sure about the "Animal Plasma" that is listed as an ingredient. But it does look to be great food.
  • Jana PhillipsJana Phillips RaleighMember Posts: 846
    edited 14 January, 2007
    I am not a fan of Nature's Logic because they don't add any source of Vitamin D, and because of that the AAFCO will only say it is ok for supplemental feeding only! NL's argument is "cats/dogs get enough vitamin D naturally from the sun." Well, I don't know about your cats, but Tigger is strictly indoors...I would rather be safe than sorry.
  • edited 14 January, 2007
    My favorite is Fancy Feast dry. I never eat canned food, only dry.
  • Heather BellamyHeather Bellamy Perry / StatesboroMember Posts: 5,506
    edited 15 January, 2007
    Thanks for that information Tigger! I had heard that about N.L.'s dog food in the Dogster forums, but I wasn't sure if the same was true for their cat food. I wonder why they don't just add a source of Vit. D to their food! I'm sure it would increase their sales! For the price they sell their food, it should definitely include all the necessary nutrients, including Vitamin D.
  • Tammy DeeTammy Dee MinervaMember Posts: 17
    edited 17 January, 2007
    i was eating Special Kitty but mommy just bought some Diamond kitten fomula (first ingredient is chicken) poultry is good stuff so now she has to slowly weed it in untill the SK is all gone she is also going to try some wet food to give me some veriety... :^:
  • Goolnar HawGoolnar Haw Member Posts: 2,525
    edited 17 January, 2007
    i eat wellness weight management...i am slowly but surely slimming down;c;
  • Roxann RobbinsRoxann Robbins Member Posts: 3,268
    edited 20 January, 2007
    I just ate anything. I wasn't a bit picky and had a cast iron stomach. I ate Friskies, Purina, but mostly plain ol Alley Cat mol. Basically generic! I lived to be 23.8 on it =; *purrrrrrrrr* Biscuit
  • Beastie_and_the_BoysBeastie_and_the_Boys Marquette, MI / ChicagoMember Posts: 17,807 ✭✭✭
    edited 20 January, 2007
    We love our Nutro Natural Choice. I'm a picky eater and my sis Beastie has a sensitive stomach, so it took a while to find a decent quality food that we both do well on. Regular Adult formula, Indoor formula, Kitten formula, Weight Control formula, Senior formula, wet or dry...we love all of it! And our vet approves, too. :)