Is anybody raw fed here?

Sha LiSha Li HammondMember Posts: 390
edited 7 January, 2007 in Food & Nutrition
Mommy saw this thread about raw feeding this morning and got really interested in it! Is anyone here raw fed?

Comments

• Karen LeeKaren Lee The kingdom of Mer-lotMember Posts: 89,020
    edited 3 January, 2007
    There are quite a few felines here who eat RAW food. I'm not sure if it is food that their Human prepares from scratch or if it is one of those commercially available frozen or freeze-dried food. Here is a Catster post about Raw food and the felines who eat it: http://www.catster.com/forums/Food_and_Nutrition/thread/361960 A good web site to learn about RAW diet for felines is http://www.catnutrition.org
  • Nicole MartinNicole Martin CranfordMember Posts: 185
    edited 4 January, 2007
    I'm raw fed and I love it! I was such a picky eater back when I was eating Friskies. My mommy started working at a pet store and she found out about all the different pet foods. I switched to Wellness which I did well on but I still wasn't as healthy as I could be. I eat Stella and Chewy's raw food now. It can be kind of hard to find but it's one of the better pre-prepared raw foods I've found.
  • casmatta estellecasmatta estelle MontpellierMember Posts: 142
    edited 4 January, 2007
    Me and my three mates in the house are given raw meat as a treat on week ends.. We love raw mutton kidneys,beef heart and lungs cut in small parts but mom avoids liver since the vet said it is a bad meat to be eaten raw because it contains the most worms'eggs.It is the same problem with pork.Though, Mom was told eating only raw organs could do some harm to our bones.Hopes that help. the eldest of us is 11 years old and everything is good in her health.
  • Janna ShepherdJanna Shepherd Little RockMember Posts: 770
    edited 5 January, 2007
    Mom is in the process of switching us to a raw diet. If I'll eat it that is. First she plans on getting us on a grain free kibble, but I'm such a picky eater and have such a finicky tummy that it's been a slow process.
  • Sha LiSha Li HammondMember Posts: 390
    edited 5 January, 2007
    Mommy's going to try to Innova, cuz it seems to have much better ingredient! She still wants to try raw diet, but she's quite concern about safety issue and the budget!
  • Sarah KlearSarah Klear VictoriaMember Posts: 239
    edited 5 January, 2007
    Yep, two raw fed girls here.
  • Nicole MartinNicole Martin CranfordMember Posts: 185
    edited 7 January, 2007
    What safety issue with raw feeding? It's not actually that expensive, for kitties atleast. My prepared raw food costs about $14 a bag and that bag holds 24 days worth of food for an average sized kitty like me.
  • Sue KaufmannSue Kaufmann CranfordMember Posts: 1,465
    edited 7 January, 2007
    *raising paw and jumping up and down* Me, me, me!!!!! My human makes raw food for me, and I love it! It's not difficult at all to make. We put together a big batch and freeze it in cups so we only have to defrost a day or two worth at a time. Once your mom has made a small investment in a few supplements (available in vitamin or health food stores), it doesn't cost much more per week than Innova or a similar brand. Plus, you'll likely eat less of it because it's so much more nutritious than Friskies or whatever. Oh, and safety issues? If you're afraid of bacteria from raw meat, please keep in mind that our digestive systems are much shorter than humans' because we don't eat nearly as much grain and roughage as they do. That means we process the food much more quickly, and the bacteria don't have a chance to take hold. The cat nutrition site listed above will give you more information on that, I believe. In any case, as long as your mom refrigerates the food, you should be just fine. Anyway, raw food has done wonders for me -- my fur is so soft and shiny, I have lots of energy, and I'm just plain healthier. I haven't had any problems, except when I turned my nose up at lamb. Yuck!!! Miss Pie, if you'd ever like more information about making raw recipes, please don't hesitate to send me a note. There are lots of ways to go about it, and I'm happy to share my experiences if it would help you.
  • Jana PhillipsJana Phillips RaleighMember Posts: 846
    edited 7 January, 2007
    We have tried raw, but unfortunately Tigger didn't like it :( However, if you are looking for an easy raw diet, I suggest Nature's Variety pre-made raw medallions. They are 100% complete and all you have to do is thaw them out :) www.naturesvariety.com