Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

What kind of food does your kitty eat?

Dillon FaahsDillon Faahs UkiahMember Posts: 34
edited 4 February, 2007 in Food & Nutrition
Spike loves fancy feast,iams,purina,meow mix and special kitty. Shes so picky she wont eat the same thing twice.

Comments

• Nicole MartinNicole Martin CranfordMember Posts: 185
    edited 11 January, 2007
    My kitty eats Stella and Chewy's raw food. She loves it and she's been so healthy since I switched her to it.
  • Jana PhillipsJana Phillips RaleighMember Posts: 846
    edited 11 January, 2007
    Tigg eats Solid Gold dry and Nutro natural choice wet pouches every once in awhile
  • Karen LeeKaren Lee The kingdom of Mer-lotMember Posts: 89,020
    edited 11 January, 2007
    There's a similar thread below: http://www.catster.com/forums/Food_and_Nutrition/thread/371531 I eat Nature's Variety, the canned and the grain free dry, and 3 varities of ProPlan.
  • Jennifer O'NeilJennifer O'Neil JeffersonvilleMember Posts: 77
    edited 11 January, 2007
    I eat Innova Lite. My foster siblings eat Natural Balance dry and Wellness canned.
  • Courtney DeemsCourtney Deems ParkersburgMember Posts: 177
    edited 11 January, 2007
    To Calla and others feeding Wellness... I posted a thread (listed below) about garlic after learning that Wellness, manufactured by Old Mother Hubbard, uses this ingredient in their food. Feel free to take a look at the thread if you\'re interested. http://www.catster.com/forums/Food_and_Nutrition/thread/373065 ~Booger~
  • Heather BellamyHeather Bellamy Perry / StatesboroMember Posts: 5,506
    edited 11 January, 2007
    I eat Solid Gold dry (it's still mixed with Blue Buffalo for now, as I am in the process of switching from the Blue to Solid Gold because I was starting to snub the Blue and can't afford to lose any more weight). I eat a variety of canned foods. I like Blue Buffalo, Wellness, Innova, California Natural, and I am going to be trying Felidae and Pet Promise soon. Mommy is ordering my food online now because none of the good brands are available where we live. I like variety in my canned food because it doesn't upset my tum-tum, and I tend to snub my food if given the same brand exclusively, but we try to stick with the same dry food as long as I'll eat it to avoid tummy upset.
  • Desiree JohnsonDesiree Johnson RosevilleMember Posts: 3,736
    edited 11 January, 2007
    We all eat Purina Natural Blend. For wet food,the boys eat Friskies,and Amber eats Fancy Feast and Special Kitty.
  • KIM JOHNSONKIM JOHNSON NUTLEYMember Posts: 387
    edited 12 January, 2007
    Innova & Wellness...all natural ingredients without nasty animal by-products!!!!!!!:-h
  • Amanda LockabyAmanda Lockaby Gainesville, GAMember Posts: 156
    edited 12 January, 2007
    I LOVE ROYAL CANIN!
  • Noelle PotterNoelle Potter SeattleMember Posts: 8
    edited 12 January, 2007
    I started Gray on Iams and he's now moved on to Purina. One he's out of his kitten stage he'll be eating Whiskas Meaty Selection. I had a sample and gave that to him one night. He liked the crunchy and then soft texture of the nuggets. And even though he's not supposed to, my dad gives him tuna on a regular basis against my wishes (this is the same man who when I said I was getting a cat he said he'd have nothing to do with it). He pretty much eats whatever we give him.
  • Chris BradshawChris Bradshaw WichitaMember Posts: 35
    edited 12 January, 2007
    I eat Meow Mix Indoor Formula. I used to eat Purina One, but Mommy tried Meow Mix and I like it much better. I'm a cheap date.
  • Nicole BradleyNicole Bradley Homebush, SydneyMember Posts: 26
    edited 13 January, 2007
    What quantities of wet and dry food should I be eating? I'm not sure how old I am , I think I could be about 12 weeks old and I only like eating Whiskas Kitten singles meat. I don't like eating my dry biscuits even though they get moistened a little bit. Also, I wont drink water, only kitten milk and the milk has been tasting a bit funny lately (I think someone is mixing water in it) so I don't drink it. I keep being told that I hae to start drinking water but the milk tastes soooo good. What do you think I should do?
  • Emma MendiolaEmma Mendiola Suisun CityMember Posts: 59
    edited 13 January, 2007
    Hi Pearl! Not drinking any water is not good for you! I must admit, milk is quite tasty and provides moisture, but water is important, too. I happen to love water, but only if it is filtered or bottled, cold, and in a clean bowl. Oh, and it has to be changed daily. My brother loves ice in his water. It\'s fun to play with and it\'s tasty! The humans aren\'t thrilled about the mess we make with ice, but they give it to us anyway. If you don\'t like cold water, then maybe a little juice from tuna might make it more palatable. By the way, Mommy recently switched us from an all dry diet to a 50/50, dry and canned diet. We\'ll be eating Nature\'s Variety Raw Instinct and another Nature\'s Instinct flavor (will rotate between available flavors) for dry, and Wellness, Nature\'s Variety, or Innova EVO for canned.
  • Gary SturgesGary Sturges TorontoMember Posts: 80
    edited 13 January, 2007
    Jackie eats Techni-Cal dry food and also Techni-Cal or Performatrin canned food . :^:
  • Heather BellamyHeather Bellamy Perry / StatesboroMember Posts: 5,506
    edited 13 January, 2007
    Pearl, I have heard that kitties who don't drink enough water tend to do better with fountains that continuously circulate fresh water (like the Drinkwell Fountain). I'm getting one soon so I will let you know if it helps me drink more water!! Since I eat canned food though, I do get some of my moisture from it.
  • Sue KaufmannSue Kaufmann CranfordMember Posts: 1,465
    edited 13 January, 2007
    Re: drinking water, if you are getting wet food exclusively, I wouldn't worry too much about not drinking. My vet calls this being a "thirstless kitty" and told my human it's perfectly okay. Some of us are just really efficient at getting the most moisture out of our food! Remember: our ancestors were desert animals, so we're built to conserve what we do get. Now, if you're only eating dry food, it's only natural that you would drink, since the moisture content is so very low. You should have good fresh water, and the dish should be cleaned daily.
  • Niki MattsonNiki Mattson St. PaulMember Posts: 20,360
    edited 14 January, 2007
    I eat Iams Adult. No I don't eat it, I inhale it! For a while this summer, when I was sick, I ate n.f. Sometimes I eat Fancy Feast Gourmet Gold, and every once in awhile, for a treat, I get Kit 'n'Kaboodle As for water, it is very important to get enough. I like milk too, for a treat, like once a year, but Mommy worries about diarrhea:-k I used to drink out of my Mommy's glass of water, now she got me a Drinkwell, and I love it!;c; but I still do steal some sips out of her glass:) She worried about me when I was sick, because I wouldn't eat, and I wouldn't drink much either. I was quite dehydrated and they had to pump lots of fluids in me.:( Soooooo, make sure you get plenty of liquids!:D
  • Megan ParnellMegan Parnell Member Posts: 261
    edited 14 January, 2007
    We were eating Drs. Foster & Smith dry and wet foods. While my brothers will eat ANYTHING (piggies!), I am a feline of discriminating tastes. I was getting skinny on the Drs. F&S foods, because I didn't think they were that yummy. I've gotten Mommy to run a taste test over the last month, and I think I've picked a nice selection. I eat a rotation of Natural Balance Ultra Dry and Innova dry. For my wet food, I like Natural Balance (both the ocean fish and the salmon flavors), Innova Evo (the only NOT fishy wet food I will even touch), and Wellness shrimp, sardine, and crab meat flavor. Mom's glad she found some dry foods I would eat (I would at least eat the California Naturals herring and sweet potato dry food, but I didn't think it was as yummy as Innova or NB). It was costing her over $3.00 a day to feed wet food while I was on my dry food boycott! In relation to getting enough water, Mom says that's why she mixes some water into our wet food to make it nice and smooshy. It gets extra water into us. Cats did evolve from desert dwelling creatures and tend to have a low thirst drive. Inadequate water intake is a factor in many urinary tract problems, so it's important to make sure we're getting enough water.
  • Darcy HendrixDarcy Hendrix Oklahoma CityMember Posts: 2
    edited 14 January, 2007
    I love fancy feast, but only the one\'s that have chunks of meat in them. None of that ground up stuff. Yuck!! My mommy tried to give me meow mix, and it was gross and I would not eat it. I would rather eat my brother\'s dog food!! Meow!!!:))
  • Barbara WinslowBarbara Winslow BradfordMember Posts: 6
    edited 16 January, 2007
    I love Wellness and Innova - they have no by-products and make my coat soft and shiny! :)
  • Ingrid BaerIngrid Baer Red DeerMember Posts: 149
    edited 23 January, 2007
    I'm eating BLUE canned, which is the first time I've been moved to a wet diet. Mom wants to move me onto California Natural eventually, but for now she's not sure how this will all cost, and it makes sense to use BLUE which has good ingredients for an incredible cost (79 cents, which the typical food of this quality goes for $1.29). Molly and Willow are on an all-wet diet too, but it's RAW. Mommy would have put me on it, she says, but I don't eat meat. Place a piece in front of me, and I ignore it. Hmmm. But Molly and Willow LOVE meat and already Molly seems to be thriving: her poops stunk to high heaven and now they smell better, and they actually seem to be firmer. It's wonderful! EDIT: forgot to add, Willow and Molly eat a mix of Arusha and Top Hand Supplies raw foods.
  • Nikki ChattooNikki Chattoo NorfolkMember Posts: 91
    edited 23 January, 2007
    mom has been only feeding me whiskas dry chicken and i would really like some canned but she doesn't know how much to give of each everyday she doesn't want me fat lol she told me i must watch my girlish figure! can you give my mommy some tips because i would sure love more variety without messing up my tum tum. Thank you!
  • Chenling ZhangChenling Zhang LeuvenMember Posts: 813
    edited 23 January, 2007
    I am very very picky about my food, my mommie has to switch between cans from Felix and Whiskas, as for dry food I'm getting Perfect Fit for active cats. And in the evening I like to eat any Gourmet tin. :^:
  • Desiree BrookeDesiree Brooke MechanicsvilleMember Posts: 63
    edited 23 January, 2007
    Mom only feeds me Hill's Science Diet foods. I am currently on the light food because I am a neuter, rather lazy, indoor cat, to prevent me from gaining weight. I was on the kitten formula before! I dont like wet food that much at all, but I will eat a bit of tuna. Everyone should be aware that WELLNESS brand foods include garlic as an ingredient in their products, this is toxic to cats and dogs because it oxidizes their red blood cells, while some are more sensitive than others, I recommend everyone play it safe and avoid this brand.
  • Karmen LanmanKarmen Lanman JanesvilleMember Posts: 6
    edited 24 January, 2007
    I eat Purina Cat Chow Indoor Formula. My previous owners fed it to me and I love it! Sometimes I eat treats but I really didn't eat much my first few days with mommy, I was scared to be in a new place! I'm all better now and I love my food.
  • Hazel_LucyHazel_Lucy PurrsvilleMember Posts: 6,156 ✭✭✭
    edited 24 January, 2007
    I eat a holistic food called Verus Feline. It's dry (I won't eat wet) and has Omega-3, antioxidants, and has changed my health. I don't use as much insulin. Also, No hairballs for over a year!
  • diane macinnisdiane macinnis summersideMember Posts: 37
    edited 27 January, 2007
    Me and my bro eat Fancy feast can food and Purina One dry.|^|
  • lynn mitchelllynn mitchell JarrowMember Posts: 1
    edited 27 January, 2007
    I love Royal CaninSensitive dry food and whiskers pouches in jelly meat. Yummy.
  • Yipee LadybugYipee Ladybug Member Posts: 3,805
    edited 27 January, 2007
    I love Wellness, esp the chicken flavour! I would eat it always!
  • Yipee LadybugYipee Ladybug Member Posts: 3,805
    edited 27 January, 2007
    Ugh, Wellness. I only eat it just b/c I'm so hungry in the mornings! But I really prefer the Nature's Best (Science Diet) dry food. Mmmmm!!