Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

Trying to Cover my Food

mindy fudgemindy fudge brightonMember Posts: 21
edited 25 January, 2007 in Food & Nutrition
Hi all you cool cats there My mom was wondering if any of you try to cover your food up after your finish eating. I\'ll eat a couple bites of my food and then start digging on the floor trying to cover my food with imaginary dirt. I often knock my dish over while I\'m trying to cover it up and make a huge mess. No matter what mom tries to do I contiune to do this for at least 5 or 10 mins. My brothers salem and pepper who live back in mom\'s hometown with our grandmom have never done this and they often fight over food. Any thoughts regarding this behavior and do any of you do this? Just Wondering

Comments

• Karen LeeKaren Lee The kingdom of Mer-lotMember Posts: 89,020
    edited 15 January, 2007
    In the wild, felines cover up their food to hide it from other hungry animals. We domesticated felines still have this behavior even though it is not necessary for us to hide our food from anyone except from siblings.
  • Pat ParkerPat Parker ClevelandMember Posts: 382
    edited 15 January, 2007
    TAZZ, I do this, too, and my mama thinks I\'m goofy, but she doesn\'t try to make me stop. After I eat as much as I want, I scratch the place mat or the floor around the bowl to try to cover it. My mama asked the woman who had my Catmom and Catdaddy if my brothers and sisters did that and she said, \"no.\" She said my uncle Vinnie who lived with them did that and I may have seen him try to cover his food and copied him. My mama puts my food in small dishes and if I tip it over there\'s not much to spill. Your mom could also get a large heavy dish that you would have a hard time tipping over. I\'m glad to know there\'s another cat that has my habit. Hah! Love and purrs, Honey
  • Julie BennettJulie Bennett TorontoMember Posts: 280
    edited 15 January, 2007
    Both my brother and I do this too. The Breeder that we came from said that we would do this. We\'re just saying \"thanks but I\'m done now\", and Mommy takes the plate away. If it is something we don\'t like (i.e. medicine is mixed in) we just do it right away to let Mommy know it is disagreeable to us.
  • shannon szuszalskishannon szuszalski ABQMember Posts: 1,542
    edited 15 January, 2007
    I do that too, but my brother does not. I always cover up any left over food. Mom thinks I am silly. I also have another funny habit and mom wonders if any of you do this. I use the litterbox and then scratch to cover, but I don't scratch the litter. I scratch the walls around the box and the floor outside the box and never cover anything up, really, though I work really hard at it. Te he he. I am a silly guy, I guess.|$|
  • eva pennyeva penny chehalisMember Posts: 528
    edited 15 January, 2007
    I bury my food too. When I was a small kitten I would knock my food and water over all of the time trying to cover it up. Mom bought metal bowls with rubber bottoms and it seemed to help. I still knock them over occasionally but Mom put a small carpet underneath and it helps to contain the mess ;)
  • emma clarkeemma clarke Nottingham Robin Hood CountryMember Posts: 6,819
    edited 15 January, 2007
    I also cover my food any other food, animal or human, that is ever left uncovered. My mum always puts a piece of kitchen paper next to my bowl so when I've finished eating, I can cover whats left with the paper.
  • mindy fudgemindy fudge brightonMember Posts: 21
    edited 15 January, 2007
    Hi All, Glad to know I'm not the only kitty who does this. Thanks for the tips , Mom is going to buy a heavier bowl for my food. I don't need one for my water cause I will only drink out of a cup, and I don't try to cover that, lol. Thanks, TAZZ
  • Kim BorgerKim Borger YpsilantiMember Posts: 460
    edited 15 January, 2007
    They also sell wide bottom bowls that are low to the ground, designed to not tip over. Pete can knock over pretty heavy stuff when he puts a little effort into it. Nikko- Pete also scratches the walls of the litter box, the floor outside of it, the (house) walls outside of the litter box, and sometimes the outside of the litter box. My sister\'s cats do the same thing, and I had a roommate\'s cats do it too. Seems normal enough to us!
  • Lucie JasutaLucie Jasuta Colts NeckMember Posts: 1,763 ✭✭
    edited 15 January, 2007
    My sister Maggie covers the food.... I don't do that but I do pick up each kibble and knock it on the floor then eat it from there. Mommy watches me and laughs:-k:-k:-k I do scratch the floor several times before I drink water and Maggie does that too... We have two dishes in a tray that is off the ground so Maggies just scratches the floor and tries to cover it with air that she scoops from the floor..It's pretty funny too. %:D% Purrs, Ozzie
  • Ruth BrouwerRuth Brouwer HuntsvilleMember Posts: 10,651
    edited 15 January, 2007
    Nikko, I too scratch the inside of the litterbox. I don't know why!
  • Gary SturgesGary Sturges TorontoMember Posts: 80
    edited 15 January, 2007
    I too have the weird habit of scratching the wall around the litterbox . I do it before and after using it . I sometimes do it to the floor and areas around the food bowls as well . I also sometimes scoop the food out of my dish with my paw , rather than sticking my face in the bowl (s) . My dad chalks all this behaviour as being typically cat , that is if there's any particular behaviour for us cats :))
  • Christina OttChristina Ott fairless hillsMember Posts: 8,628
    edited 15 January, 2007
    MOL!!! I try to cover my food too!! Mom thinks it's cute--my sis Cali--does the same thing as you do NIkko--with the litter!!=D>:))!:))
  • Pat BeckPat Beck Spokane/SouthhillMember Posts: 878
    edited 15 January, 2007
    Gracie and Checkers don\'t cover their food, although, Checkers will scratch around Gracie\'s food after she\'s done eating, no idea why :-) Checkers will also, sometimes, take the kibbles out of the dish and eat them from the floor. My Heidi always covered her food when I first adopted her, she did it for years, and she would find some mighty odd things to cover it with. As she got older, she still did it occasionally, but, not nearly as much.
  • Pat ParkerPat Parker ClevelandMember Posts: 382
    edited 16 January, 2007
    Nikko, I scratch the inside of my litter box, too. Sometimes I scratch the air outside the door of my covered box. (Air scratching -- like air guitar, hehe) Anything, just not the litter or the poop. I\'m glad I\'m not the only one that does that!
  • Tammy DeeTammy Dee MinervaMember Posts: 17
    edited 16 January, 2007
    i dont do either.. i must be wierd hummmm wonder what mom would do if i start that.. my doggy brother and sisters like my food so mom picks it up when im finished eating.. :^: huggs and sloppy kisses to all my friends ... SP
  • wendy goodinewendy goodine VermontMember Posts: 127
    edited 16 January, 2007
    I always cover my food well only when my mommy gives me something that she is eating and I don't like it well :? even thou my brother Smudges eats it :-/ I don't but I always cover that pretend dirt thankfully its pretend doesn't get any dirt under my nails and that way don't have to have a bath=;
  • BruceTheBossBruceTheBoss Winslow, BuckinghamshireMember Posts: 37,079 ✭✭✭
    edited 16 January, 2007
    :)) Great thread, this really made me and Mum laugh. Yeap i do the food thing AND the litter tray thing, but my sister Bobbie doesnt do either. I was scratched the radiator so much trying to cover my food i unscrewed a bolt on it *giggles* and also once pulled up one of the sticky floor tiles in our food room. What makes Mum and Dad laugh the most is when the put their dinner plate on the table and i go and start scraping around it to cover it up. Hehehe great idea with the kitchen towel Blade. Keep the stories coming in.

Bruce The Boss

• Maryann WolfeMaryann Wolfe HarrisonburgMember Posts: 37
    edited 16 January, 2007
    Nikko, I do the litterbox thing, too. Mami tells me that there's nothing on the littermat to scratch, but I will scratch that mat for a good 5 minutes or so, covering nothing with nothing. Meanwhile, what I've done in the box remains uncovered and stinky until mami comes and covers/scoops it. I don't do the food thing, but I worked so hard to knock over the water dispenser that mami had to abandon it in favor of a bowl inside a bowl.
  • shannon szuszalskishannon szuszalski ABQMember Posts: 1,542
    edited 16 January, 2007
    Thanks guys, I am glad I am not the only cat who does the litter thing. My litter box is in a seldom used bathroom next to the toilet and I scratch the walls and the toilet and the ground and the littermat. I almost flushed the toilet the other day, trying to cover my "job". Thing is I never cover anything in the litterbox!! I work at it for a godd 5-10 minutes or so and sometimes I meow while I do it. It makes Mom laugh, cause I am very intent on the job at hand. :?:?:?:?:?:?:?:?:?:?:?:?
  • Alana RobertsAlana Roberts BrooklynMember Posts: 758
    edited 16 January, 2007
    Wow you mean it's not just me - I always try to bury my food, I especially do it if it's something I don't like or right after I use the litterbox, after I bury in there I like to bry my food too. It drives mum crazy because I can go at in for ages and knock everything over in the process.
  • Julie BennettJulie Bennett TorontoMember Posts: 280
    edited 17 January, 2007
    I used to scratch the sides of my litter box too (but not cover up my business). I never covered up my business, and my Daddy thinks this was probably because I was taken away from my kitty Mommy too young (we're not sure what of my start on life as I was a rescue). I only started the litter box scratching when I got a kitty room mate. I heard him scratching inside the box and figured I should scratch too. Nobody told me the scratching was supposed to be for covering up poo!
  • Dianne MeeksDianne Meeks ThornhillMember Posts: 7,069
    edited 17 January, 2007
    Hi Tazz :) I do this all the time..my moms think it is cute! I'm the only one that does it though! purrrrrrrs from Quattro
  • Maryann WolfeMaryann Wolfe HarrisonburgMember Posts: 37
    edited 18 January, 2007
    Hi all, I wrote earlier about the litterbox, but I wanted to tell you that I took all this reading seriously. I covered up some food too! Mami was making spinach and cheese manicotti in the kitchen, and I was purring around hoping for fallen cheese. I love cheese so much that I licked a piece off mami's foot! Mami was trying to eat the finished product and I was yowling for some, so she gave me a bit with cheese and pasta. But I don't like pasta, just cheese. So I found the nearest paper, which happened to be the direction book for mami's new coffee maker, and I put it on the food. Thanks guys for all the useful info about what I am supposed to do with food I don't want to eat!
  • Yipee LadybugYipee Ladybug Member Posts: 3,805
    edited 25 January, 2007
    Tazz, I find it is my instinctual DUTY to cover my food during and after I eat my food. In fact, I make sure that all 3 of the food dishes (for us 3 kitties) are covered up with my digging!! Not only that, I find myself on litter box duty too....I have to be Marie's clean up crew...b/c she NEVER covers her business!! How gross is that!