Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

I eat too much.

Rachel GibbonsRachel Gibbons LongmontMember Posts: 1,686
edited 17 January, 2007 in Food & Nutrition
Hi there.:-h This is Little Ms. Big Butt,:)) or Sparx. I have a problem, its true. See, I\'m a Greedy Puss:)) and I gobble up my food. My mommy wants to put me on a diet :(( and she would like to know how much food I should get each day. I\'m 8 months old and I\'m pretty chubby. I don\'t know how much I weigh.:r But its probably more than i should.:r Hope I can get some answers. Thanx from the Manx, Sparx

Comments

• Christine CaseChristine Case MarionMember Posts: 10
    edited 16 January, 2007
    :-h I\'m Dave, I\'m like two years old. And I like maybe 10 or 11 lbs. That\'s because I sleep a lot. My owner made a bed for me and I have been sleeping in it ever since. You see when you\'re asleep, you don\'t eat. The more you sleep, the less you eat. It happens to anyone, animals or humans. |bb|
  • Alana RobertsAlana Roberts BrooklynMember Posts: 758
    edited 16 January, 2007
    HI there Sparx, your at an age when your still growing fast - I know I am! If you eat too fast though it can make you puke - been there - and thats no good. Do you have bro's or sisters? I am always trying to take my sisters food if someone was trying to take your food it might make you want to eat faster too... If it's really a problem can you give him more frequent smaller portions. Maybe that would calm his appetite and make him slow down because he knows there's more wher that came from! :-k Just a thought... Wolfie and mum
  • Courtney DeemsCourtney Deems ParkersburgMember Posts: 177
    edited 17 January, 2007
    It\'s really important to know how much you weigh before considering any type of weight loss program. This is important for several reasons, but the most important reason is to make sure that any weight loss is gradual. Rapid weight loss in cats, whether intentional or not, can be extremely detrimental to your health. It\'s also really important to make sure that you actually need to lose weight before trying to do so. (I posted in the following thread about weight.) http://www.catster.com/forums/Food_and_Nutrition/thread/375339 In regards to eating too much... are you eating too much? or are you eating too fast? In the case of eating too much, you should follow the feeding guidelines established by the manufacturer of the food you are eating. Of course, again, if you are used to getting more food than is recommended each day, it is important to gradually reduce the amount over several days or even weeks to avoid any health concerns. If you are free fed, your mom may need to gradually stop the free feeding and begin feeding you on a schedule. If, on the other hand, you are eating too fast, Hunter posted some good tips in the health forum the other day that involved feeding on a cookie sheet or even placing a ping pong ball on the cookie sheet which will force you to slow down while eating. I hope this helps! ~Booger~