when do i switch to senior food???

Goolnar HawGoolnar Haw Member Posts: 2,525
edited 23 January, 2007 in Food & Nutrition
my mommy is a first time cat owner & was curious what is considered a \"senior\" cat. i am currently 6-7 yrs old (i was a rescue cat so we can\'t say for sure). i am currently eatting wellnes weight manaagemnt & have been doing great on it!!! mommy just wants to have an idea of when i have to switch to senior food...probably not for a while right??? :?

Comments

• Sarah HarndenSarah Harnden SalemMember Posts: 194
    edited 18 January, 2007
    7 years of age is considered geriatric...so he should switch his food now..
  • Jennifer O'NeilJennifer O'Neil JeffersonvilleMember Posts: 77
    edited 18 January, 2007
    The things I've read say you shouldn't have to change foods b/c you're a "senior" cat. Oftentimes food manufacturers just take down the meat content and increase the carb content in senior foods, which isn't good for cats. You might try a formula that's formulated for "all life stages" like Natural Balance.
  • Stephanie LitosStephanie Litos Member Posts: 210
    edited 18 January, 2007
    Seven years is considered senior, but, like Capt. Jack, I have read that it isn't necessary to switch over the senior food unless you have a specific health problem. I'm definitely over seven (we're not sure how old I am either because I was a rescue) but I just eat Wellness Super5 mix, which is for all life stages. It sounds like you are already on a lower-calorie food. Apparently one of the ideas behind senior food is that it is lower in calories because older cats aren't as active. I think you are probably fine eating the Wellness you currently like. (Just so you know, there are some people who suggest not feeding "light" foods either, because they can have more filler in them, and just giving smaller portions instead if you have a weight problem. Personally, the only wet food I like is Innova Lite, so that's what mommy gives me because she figures it's better to feed me a high-quality wet food I like, even if it is "Lite" than nothing at all.)
  • Melissa FordMelissa Ford Santa CruzMember Posts: 3,914
    edited 19 January, 2007
    Age 7 is considered senior. You do not necessarily need to switch foods as long as you don't have any health issues. Most vets are recommending wellness exams twice yearly for geriatric patients. Blood work should be performed yearly after age seven to catch any health problems early. Ask your vet whether switching to a senior diet is necessary.
  • Goolnar HawGoolnar Haw Member Posts: 2,525
    edited 19 January, 2007
    wow, so i\'m soon to be a senior...that doesn\'t seem right???? :?:-k mommy & daddy say i\'ve been more active in the last 6 months then in the last yr & a half that they\'ve had me%:D%%:D% oh well i guess me trimmin\' down has added some spunk in me;);)
  • Chris BradshawChris Bradshaw WichitaMember Posts: 35
    edited 19 January, 2007
    If you're being so active and doing so well with your current cat food, you might want to simply stick with it. Sounds like it's the right diet for you. =;
    edited 20 January, 2007
    i guess mommy will continue to keep me on wellness weight management.=;=;=D>=D> thanks for all the feedback!:-h
  • Beastie_and_the_BoysBeastie_and_the_Boys Marquette, MI / ChicagoMember Posts: 17,806 ✭✭✭
    edited 20 January, 2007
    I agree with the cats who say you don't have to switch unless you have health issues. Senior formulas tend to be lower in calories for decreased activity, but also lower in protein to reduce stress on the kidneys. But if your weight is fine and your bloodwork doesn't show any kidney or other issues that diet has an impact on, then you're probably fine on a regular adult formula. Have your human talk to your vet about it at your next checkup, and he/she can let you know if you need to change your diet. For me, purrsonally, at 13 years old my vet thinks I'm doing fine on my regular diet of Nutro Natural Choice adult. My sister, Beastie (who is 12) and I would probably eat senior formula except for the fact that our foster brother, Ben, is not quite two and it's easier for us all to eat the same thing. But the vet gave his approval when mom told him what she's feeding us at my last checkup. Everykitty's different, though, which is why it's good to check with your vet.
  • Phoebe McPhoebodyPhoebe McPhoebody Member Posts: 744
    edited 20 January, 2007
    Spice and I both resented the "senior" classification at the age of 8. Senior? Well cared for cats are living well beyond 15 years of age. If a human was considered "senior" by the same statistic, I guess we would all qualify for AARP by the age of 40. Most 8 year old cats are still pretty much in their prime. If they are doing well on regular food, why change over? "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"
  • Dolores LenzDolores Lenz MissionMember Posts: 341
    edited 21 January, 2007
    :-k I am 10 and I am still a young kitty! I play and I don\'t sleep so much like my brother Willy does and he is 2! We all eat the same food called Multi cat by Iams for ages 1-12. We say stay with what you are eating. :^: :-h
    edited 21 January, 2007
    thanks for all your feedback...mommy plans to continue with my regular diet.|^| but will definately ask my vet when she takes my brothers in. i don\'t go to the vet unless something isn\'t right as i\'m an indoor kitty. momy will start taking me more regularly once i\'m a bit older:^:
  • Desiree BrookeDesiree Brooke MechanicsvilleMember Posts: 63
    edited 22 January, 2007
    Senior foods aren't just a ploy to get more money out of consumers! However, the classification of senior is used usually as a term for veterinarians atleast to indicate that its probably a good idea to start yearly monitoring of basic serum chemistries to detect any changes in organ function. Since you're on a weight management diet, however, its probably not a good idea to switch over foods because you could potentially begin to regain some of the weight you lost! There's no need for that hard work to go to waste! But we weary of all life stages food, just likes our vertebrate friends the younger or older we are the different kinds of nutrients we require, mostly because our organs begin to work less efficiently. All life stages diets are great if you household only has pets between the ages of 1 year and say about 8 years of age. Its best to consult a veterinarian and start getting a yearly geriatric profile done, this way you can catch any old age problems early and alter your diet appropriately!
    edited 23 January, 2007
    mommy & i are still shocked that 7 is considered a senior:?...it just doesn\'t make sense:-k especially since kitties live soo long . :? thanks for all the great feedback & info. i\'ll probably start my yearly bloodwork in the next few yrs (as long as i stay healthy).|^|