Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

Vegan Kittens??

eva pennyeva penny chehalisMember Posts: 528
edited 24 January, 2007 in Food & Nutrition
I was cruising the Seattle, WA Craigslist classifieds and saw an add for Vegan kitten's free to approved Vegan home's! Who would do this to a cat! It made me soooo sad :((

Comments

• rachel brownrachel brown weatherfordMember Posts: 1,299
    edited 21 January, 2007
    WHAT?!?!?! :-O you have got to be kidding me. how horrid. i think i would call the people in the ad just to find out why they are doing this to poor kittens. it's one thing for a human to be Vegan but forcing an innocent kitten? just cruel
  • Sarah KlearSarah Klear VictoriaMember Posts: 239
    edited 21 January, 2007
    ::o
  • Heather BellamyHeather Bellamy Perry / StatesboroMember Posts: 5,506
    edited 21 January, 2007
    ::o That's so terrible! I can understand the reason humans want to be vegan (heck, my Mom was a vegan for 2 years and plans to go veg again after she graduates college, gets a job, moves to a bigger city where more vegan foods are available, and can afford it). But cats are obligate carnivores. They are designed to function only when meat is present in their diets. Cats need meat; they cannot live without it! They can go blind or die from being vegans. :(
  • Julie BellizziJulie Bellizzi StaffordMember Posts: 196
    edited 21 January, 2007
    How incredibly absurd. A cat is a carnivore and as Boo said, designed to eat meat. Even humans are designed to eat -some- meat. I understand why humans would choose to be vegetarians or vegans. Insane health benefits. To support a cause, sure. But if the cause you are supporting is animal welfare, why would you be breeding kittens???
  • eva pennyeva penny chehalisMember Posts: 528
    edited 21 January, 2007
    Yeah, Mom threw a huge fit and started ranting about the stupidity of some people,it got her all worked up! The posting has been removed from Craigslist now but there are many people still responding with their opinions. My favorite was someone saying "When was the last time you saw a lion attacking a field of wheat or soy? Feed them a proper diet!" Kind of got the point across :) I just hope that these people rethink the way that they feed their cat's! Poor babies :(
  • Sue KaufmannSue Kaufmann CranfordMember Posts: 1,465
    edited 21 January, 2007
    *holding paws to forehead and shaking head* Sometimes I don't know what people are thinking. Or maybe the problem is that they're not!
  • Melissa FordMelissa Ford Santa CruzMember Posts: 3,914
    edited 21 January, 2007
    GRRRRR!!!!! HISS!!!!! I am amazed at the things people do to their animals. As humans we have a CHOICE to become vegan or vegetarian...cats are carnivores and can have serious health problems resulting from a vegan or vegetarian diets! Unfortunately on Craigslist (mom used to frequent there) the posting gets removed because people get irritated or upset about it, but no one ever informs the parents that they could be hurting their cats.
  • Ruth BrouwerRuth Brouwer HuntsvilleMember Posts: 10,651
    edited 21 January, 2007
    We saw a animal cops show on Animal Planet where cats without meat go blind! What are they thinking???
  • Chris BradshawChris Bradshaw WichitaMember Posts: 35
    edited 21 January, 2007
    My mommy says she's be tempted to lie to the people, claim she's vegan and take all the kitties away so they can be taken care of properly. It's unbelievable that these people would deny their cats the nutrition they need. Terrible!
    edited 21 January, 2007
    I wouldn't be surprised if they were in some way affiliated with PETA. I know PETA strongly advocates feeding all pets vegan diets, even though they must know it is very harmful to cats. They even have links on their website to all the pet food manufacturers that make vegan cat food. :( But, PETA is also against all breeding, so if these are purebred kittens sold by their breeders only to vegan homes, then I'm stumped. I don't know why any people, no matter their own personal beliefs regarding meat and animal product consumption would want to feed a species inappropriate diet like that to their cats. :-/
  • eva pennyeva penny chehalisMember Posts: 528
    edited 22 January, 2007
    The kittens were listed as free but only to Vegan homes that would agree not to feed them any Meat, Dairy or Eggs. So no, they weren't breeder's, just people who were uneducated to a cat's needs :(
  • Amy BurchfieldAmy Burchfield Shaker HeightsMember Posts: 145
    edited 22 January, 2007
    Wow! This is really ironic. My mom is a vegan herself (and very happy) and she was just thinking about the silly idea of "vegan" cats. Then she randomly thought -- let's check out what's cooking on the old Catster Forums, and here's the very topic of vegan cats! Obligate carnivore, anyone?
  • Chenling ZhangChenling Zhang LeuvenMember Posts: 813
    edited 22 January, 2007
    :-O for one minute I thought you were going to turn your kittie vegan, I already had this big speech ready to tell you how silly you are :)) I guess that's not necessary anymore :) cats are natural carnivores, to deprive them of their meat is just a crime against nature. And Lucky Boo I didn't know those facts about PETA, I am supportive of their causes regarding the fur industry but this is simply re-di-cu-lous!
    edited 22 January, 2007
    Hi Jefke. Yeah, I'm supportive of some of their causes too (definitely the fur trade). But some of their ideals (such as making cats vegans) are absurd and unnatural. :(
  • Chenling ZhangChenling Zhang LeuvenMember Posts: 813
    edited 22 January, 2007
    I guess fanatism is a very dangerous thing even though the intentions may be well. An animal activist here gives his dog only vegan food, I swear that was the most poor and pathetic doggie I have ever seen. I hope those people come to their senses one day.
  • Desiree JohnsonDesiree Johnson RosevilleMember Posts: 3,736
    edited 22 January, 2007
    Despicable. Simply,cats are predators.Not omnivorous,not herbivorous,carnivorous.They cannot survive on a diet without the benefits of meat,which cannot be substituted either. Ever been bitten by a cat?Those teeth are meant for,strictly,killing and tearing. Humans can survive on a vegetarian diet(when her life is in order mom will consider one),but a cat cannot.You can't change what God has made,since you're not him!
  • Chris BradshawChris Bradshaw WichitaMember Posts: 35
    edited 22 January, 2007
    Exactly, Dr. Morris. We agree completely. If vegan humans aren't comfortable with the idea of feeding their cats a meat diet, they simply shouldn't have cats as pets. They should stick with pets who are naturally vegan, such as hamsters or birds. I feel so sorry for any kitty who's forced to eat an unnatural and inhumane diet.
  • sherri beckersherri becker Member Posts: 1
    edited 24 January, 2007
    my mommy is a vegetarian and considered a vegetarian diet for me. i do like spinach, cucumber and bananas. fortunately, she came to her senses... twice i've caught field mice in our garage. i guess that convinced her that i was a meat eater like my dad.