Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

Anykitty order food online?

Christy MChristy M Member Posts: 329
edited 18 March, 2007 in Food & Nutrition
Mom thinks she might start ordering our food online, because she's been using Royal Canin, but there are better foods out there for the same or less than what she pays for it. She'd like to use Innova. Anyway, where do you order your food? How long does it normally take to get it? How much is shipping? (generally) Sorry to ask so many questions, but Mom's never ordered online and she wanted to make sure it was fresh and safe food.

Comments

• Melissa FordMelissa Ford Santa CruzMember Posts: 3,914
    edited 23 January, 2007
    Although I have never had to order online mom gets my food from her work) she does use a company at work that sells food and ships the food direct to the client. This particular place would require a Rx from a vet, as they only do prescription foods. As long as you are using a reputable company the food should arrive fresh and safe. Royal Canin, along with many other food companies guarantee their food, so if you are unhappy with it, return it for a full refund or replacement (even if the bag has been opened and food has been eaten).
  • Sha LiSha Li HammondMember Posts: 390
    edited 24 January, 2007
    Mommy just started buy INNOVA EVO recently. It's great but a bit expensive for mommy. It's not easy to find this brand but fortunately there's a dealer near where we live. Mommy could order from them. You could try amazon or some natural pet food website but since pet food is pretty heavy you need to pay quite much shipment fees.
  • Karen LeeKaren Lee The kingdom of Mer-lotMember Posts: 89,020
    edited 24 January, 2007
    -- link removed -- -- link removed -- These two online stores sell a variety of premium foods.
  • Megan ParnellMegan Parnell Member Posts: 261
    edited 24 January, 2007
    I used to order Drs. Foster & Smith foods online. I was VERY happy with their delivery time (usually within the week), and I found their shipping to be incredibly reasonable (usually ran me between $8 and $12, and I would order two or three cases of wet food and at least three 7 pound bags of kibble at any one time). They also have a "catered pet" program that ensures you'll never pay weight fees and that your food will be delivered on a regular schedule. If I just had the two boys, I would still be ordering their foods (to get a really quality food, I have to spend more in gas than I did in shipping), but my Gypsy is VERY picky, especially about dry food, so I've ended up switching to a rotation diet including her favorites (Innova, Innova EVO, Natural Balance, and Wellness). You can check out Drs. Foster & Smith cat foods here: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/NavResults.cfm?N=2002+6000 And actually, I still have a bag or three in the garage, as well as a couple of cans of their wet food. If you have picky cats and are interested in trying some of it, I'd be happy to send you some if you'll cover shipping. P-mail me if you're interested.
  • Heather BellamyHeather Bellamy Perry / StatesboroMember Posts: 5,506
    edited 24 January, 2007
    http://www.petfooddirect.com is a website that has practically every brand of food one could want, with the exception of Blue Buffalo, which for some reason is the only brand I know of that isn't available there. Mommy ordered us some Pet Promise, California Natural, and Felidae canned foods on there last week sometime, and the food is scheduled to arrive today! The good thing about pet food direct is that you can go to www.google.com and do a search for "Pet Food Direct Coupon Codes" and there are several sites that keep an updated list of codes you can use for discounts. I think we got an 12% discount on our food... which covered the shipping cost. We'll let you know if the food arrives safely this weekend. We're at college right now, and the food is going to Grandmaw and Grandpaw's house. We'll be there Friday, and we'll check to make sure the cans are not damaged and that the food is well within its freshness period and not close to the expiration date. This is our first time using the internet to order food, so we'll be sure to update everykitty on whether or not Pet Food Direct is a trustworthy site!
  • Karen LeeKaren Lee The kingdom of Mer-lotMember Posts: 89,020
    edited 24 January, 2007
    edited 24 January, 2007
    Update! Grandmaw told Mommy on the phone tonight that the UPS truck came and left a box full of food for me! Yipee! I'll let you all know this weekend about the quality of the food (the condition of the cans and the expiration dates)! I'm so excited! I can't wait to taste the Pet Promise food!
  • Denise GraysonDenise Grayson BothellMember Posts: 2,468
    edited 25 January, 2007
    Mom often times orders our food online from petco. She will normally wait till they have it on sale or free shipping and then stock up. A lot of the time it cost less then if she went to the petco to buy the bags herself. Plus there standand shipping is normally pretty fast.
  • Angela ClarkAngela Clark Fort SmithMember Posts: 15,094
    edited 25 January, 2007
    We've been using petfooddirect.com for a long time. You can get coupons up to 22% off your order, which includes food. When they send out the 25% off coupon, that can't be used toward food. The shipping has been quick all but one time and that's because they had a problem with their distributer. It took about an extra week, which is no big deal because we knew to order early. We get the Innova Evo dry food there and the Merrick wet food. If you haven't done so already, check out the Innova Evo website and see if there is a place around you that sells it. Mommy said it might be cheaper than getting it online simply because of shipping costs but you just have to shop around. Good luck to you!
    edited 26 January, 2007
    I got to see all my food today! Mommy and I got home and there was a neatly-packed box waiting for us. I got 12 cans of Felidae, 12 cans of Pet Promise, and 24 cans of California Natural. YUM!! Everything looks just fine, so I'm going to say I definitely give www.petfooddirect.com 4 paws up! We won't be using it as much as previously thought though because Mommy had an amazing find yesterday: a general store in my town that sells Wellness and Chicken Soup for the Cat Lover's Soul! Woo-Hoo! I LOVE the Wellness dry food (the super5 mix with salmon rather than chicken). It is the yummiest food I have ever tasted in my whole life. It's so good I beg for it. I'm in the process of switching to it right now! Since it's available locally, we're going to go with it until I decide I don't like it anymore. We were going to be ordering Solid Gold Katz-n-flocken online, but the Wellness will be cheaper because we won't have to pay shipping. Purrs, Lucky Boo
  • Doug StetlerDoug Stetler VancouverMember Posts: 6
    edited 18 March, 2007
    http://www.alaskandogtreats.com If your looking for wild salmon oil and treats that are 100% natural. They offer a 100% money-back guarantee and quote UPS direct shiiping. Forget the "dog" in the name, they don't know fish like we do.