High-quality food that helps with tartar

Stephanie LitosStephanie Litos Member Posts: 210
edited 30 January, 2007 in Food & Nutrition
Hi everycat! My mom was visiting with a friend of hers last week and he mentions that he feeds his kitty Science Diet dry food (he also feeds him wet food). My mom told him about the benefits of a high-quality cat food, and he would like to switch his cat. However, his cat has a very bad tartar problem, and the Science Diet food is supposed to help with that. Can anycat recommend a high-quality dry food that helps with tartar problems? He has tried brushing his cat's teeth, but says that his cat really won't stand for it (I'm the same way!). Thanks for any advice!

Comments

• Karen LeeKaren Lee The kingdom of Mer-lotMember Posts: 89,020
    edited 30 January, 2007
    Your friend's cat should have a dental cleaning done first to remove all the tartar and any bad teeth. Once the teeth are clean, your friend can re-try brushing with a different brand or flavor of toothpaste. I recommend CET poultry flavored toothpaste. You can use gauze instead of a pet toothbrush. If the cat won't put up with brushing, your friend can try an oral rinse or dental treats. CET also makes these. Teeth really need to be brushed ideally to keep them clean. Certain types of food, even high quality ones, may help some but won't keep all teeth problems away.
  • Desiree BrookeDesiree Brooke MechanicsvilleMember Posts: 63
    edited 30 January, 2007
    Hill's makes a prescription diet T/d for tartar control. While he would have to go to a vet to get a prescription for it, it is a harder food and it supposed to scrape away excess tartar. However, no tartar control food is efficacious unless you have a thorough dental prophylaxis first. Hill's is a very high quality food, they spend more money per year than any other brand of pet food in research to ensure your pet is getting the highest quality foods possible. The high end brand name foods are your best bet, they spend more money to bring you the best quality foods, such as Purina (their high end is proplan) and Eukanuba/royal canin which are now the same company (the lesser end food made by them is Iams). Most other food companies haven't stood the test of time. When you've been making pet food for over 25 years I think you have a better understanding of an animals dietary necessities. In addition, Hill's and Royal Canin both have HUGE facilities where they do controlled food studies, and they spend extra money ensuring that the animals in the study are comfortable, they get daily wagon rides, are not caged and are adopted out to a good home after their study is complete. Their animals get treated better than most convicts in our prison system! I think its important to support companies that go the extra mile to ensure high quality pet foods AND conduct research that keeps an animals welfare in mind. I'm waiting to see all these new fad foods stand the test of time. I would be willing to say that out of the 400 students in my vet school now about 90% of the are feeding Purina, Royal Canin, or Hills. Another 3% are utilizing a raw diet.
  • Heather BellamyHeather Bellamy Perry / StatesboroMember Posts: 5,506
    edited 30 January, 2007
    I agree with Merlin. I think the kitty should have a dental done. Just make sure the kitty has bloodwork done first to make sure that the anesthesia will be tolerated. The teeth should also be brushed. If kitty fights it, the owner can try swaddling the kitty in a towel or blanket, restraining movement. If the case is extreme, the vet may prescribe a mild sedative. That's what we had to do with my sister Luna for any sort of grooming procedure at all. It definitely isn't for everyone; we had to do it because Luna is very aggressive and she has done serious damage to all of us with her teeth and claws. She landed Grandpaw in the hospital with a severe bite wound to his hand a few years ago. So I only say that sedatives may be a possibility because of the extreme case we have with my fursister. As for a high quality kibble that will help with tartar; I think practically all dry foods will help in a very limited manner. Because kitties don't chew like humans do, there is much less scraping of the gunky stuff from the teeth by chewing the kibble. I think dentals are the way to go to ensure that kitty will be able to keep his teeth at their healthiest. I've tried a lot of high quality kibble; I don't recall any of them claiming to be excellent at tartar removal. But because they have fewer added chemicals and preservatives and much better ingredients, they are overall better for the health of kitties. I have thrived on both of the dry foods I have tried (Solid Gold and Blue Buffalo). I eat mostly canned food though. Before switching to high quality, I had urinary crystals a lot of the time. Now those are gone. The condition of my coat has also improved drastically. I have less dander and much shinier fur. In my case, the benefits of high quality food speak for themselves!
  • Stephanie LitosStephanie Litos Member Posts: 210
    edited 30 January, 2007
    Thanks everycat. I am pretty sure my friend's kitty has had a dental done, but he just has a propensity for tartar, I guess. And as for high-quality food, I totally agree that it is important. I only eat Wellness and Innova. In fact, my mom managed to convince her friend to do the same for his kitty, she feels so strongly about this! Thanks again!