Kitty Weight?

Stacia RiccioStacia Riccio Tampa,Dubuque,MarionMember Posts: 3
edited 1 February, 2007 in Food & Nutrition
What and how should I feed Boots to help him lose weight and be Healthy? Hes my best bud so i want him to be healthy and happy. I think the weight makes his back and legs hurt so I want to help him feel better! So if you have any ideas they would help alot!:? Thank you!!! Boots and Stacia:^:

Comments

• Yipee LadybugYipee Ladybug Member Posts: 3,805
    edited 30 January, 2007
    Hi Boots...I think the best way would be for you to see the vet, first to see if the weight is your problem; and secondly, the vet is probably best qualified to determine what's a healthy weight for you and then suggestions on how to lose it. You know the usual deal about can't be losing the weight too fast, portion sizes, eating quality canned low-grain cat food or raw diet, etc. etc. If it seems kind of frivilous to see your vet this, just maybe wait until a general checkup appt etc. Altho a leg problem alone is enough need to see a vet, I think! Anyways, good luck with that - I am sure other kitties will chime in with their opinion!
  • Phoebe McPhoebodyPhoebe McPhoebody Member Posts: 744
    edited 30 January, 2007
    Boots' profile says he is only 13 pounds. That should not be causing him to have any problems. Check with your vet to rule out other trouble. In general, though, a higher protein, lower carb diet is best for cats. That would translate to mostly canned food (look for those with the higher protein content) and very little dry.
  • Melissa FordMelissa Ford Santa CruzMember Posts: 3,914
    edited 30 January, 2007
    I would see your vet. A weight of 13# can be too much for some kitties, but I don't know if this is one of those cases. I see Boots is 11 years old. There could be some arthritic changes happening and that may be controlled with medications. Excess weight can be harder on the joints though, so I wouldn't necessarily rule that out. Have your vet do a thorough exam before deciding this is just a weight problem.
  • Cheryl AyerCheryl Ayer RockportMember Posts: 330
    edited 31 January, 2007
    Definitely check with your vet. Thirteen pounds seems about right to me -- but like with people, I guess it depends on your frame. Good luck!
  • Melinda SpaarMelinda Spaar Member Posts: 19
    edited 1 February, 2007
    I agree that you should see a vet to rule-out other illness and go over a weight loss program. Also, many weight loss diets (such as Hill\'s md or wd) need to be prescribed by a doctor. (P.S. 13# can definitely be a problem depending on the kitty. I\'m 6 lbs and a normal weight. If I were 13 lbs, I would have more rolls than you need to fill a bakery:)))