I was amazed- its legal to abuse cats in CA.

Melissa BuchananMelissa Buchanan West HollywoodMember Posts: 11
edited 3 July, 2007 in Laws & Legislation
Please read the following. The most frightening part is that Ms. Weems is running yet another animal rescue ( I;ve been there and the conditions are deplorable) Please help me get this woman away from helpless animals. Margaret Weems, 57, allegedly operates Angel Puss and Pooch Rescue, Canoga Park and Eagle Rock. Animal control officers recently seized 60 cats housed in filth-encrusted cages at Weems' mobile home in Dayton Canyon and the city officers found 360 cats living in crowded conditions at her Canoga Park rescue center. Weems has been charged with felony animal cruelty based on the situation of the cats seized from her home. She is scheduled to be arraigned Jan 8, 2002 in the Malibu Superior Court. City animal control officials served a search warrant last month at Weems' Canoga Park rescue operation. They said many of the felines were sick or crammed into pet carriers so small the cats could not stand. The city investigation will be ongoing. Weems was given until Dec 29 to apply for a license to operate the rescue centers and provide veterinary records for the animals but she has not yet done so. The case will be turned over to the City Attorney's Office for review and possible prosecution. Weems says she is exempt from the city's licensing requirement because she is running a humane society, not a kennel. Federal law, she says doesn't require humane societies to be licensed. Local officials dispute her claims. Weems also says she has been under attack by animal control officials and animal rights activists for a decade and she had accused them of violating her civil rights in a pending federal lawsuit filed in 1999. Weems said, "These are vicious people. They aren't activists, they're terrorists." The local animal rights activists say they have little sympathy for Weems. In October, dozens of animal rights activists had a protest in front of Weems' Canoga Park shelter. The protest was to call attention to what they are calling the cruel treatment of cats. There was a scuffle during the protest and Weems' husband, Patrick Weems, was charged with misdemeanor counts of battery and inflicting serious injury. "The humane society is very concerned, we've received complaints, and the general manager has told his officers to find out what's going on and do what they have to do." Yeah, they did ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. The woman got probation and is completely free and is abusing animals once again.

Comments

• Jan AllenJan Allen DallasMember Posts: 2,596
    edited 5 March, 2007
    I guess I will never understand people or the law - there are so many loop holes that people get around. I wish I could help but we're in Texas. You might post a note to http://www.pasadosafehaven.org They might be able to give u some advise.
  • Beastie_and_the_BoysBeastie_and_the_Boys Marquette, MI / ChicagoMember Posts: 17,806 ✭✭✭
    edited 5 March, 2007
    It doesn't sound like she's running a humane society to me--more like an INhumane society. :( I hope they can shut it down soon, and permanently!
  • Joshua BrownJoshua Brown CheyenneMember Posts: 71
    edited 8 March, 2007
    Sounds more like she\'s a hoarder not a rescuer.
  • Carli CronjeCarli Cronje PretoriaMember Posts: 4,447
    edited 9 March, 2007
    Oooh!!! If I get my claws on her.......! Those poor furiends!!:((
  • Ashley WallaceAshley Wallace Taylorville/CharlestonMember Posts: 5
    edited 10 March, 2007
    Ugh. How can some people do this? Would I get probation too for torturing her like that?
  • Kim McHughKim McHugh New BedfordMember Posts: 21
    edited 10 March, 2007
    These people who do these things like you see on "Animal Planet" they ought to be put in jail. They only give them fines or jail time less than a year. It is disgraceful. They should make it so these people aren't allowed to be near any animal ever again. It is almost a joke to prosicute these people. It is very very sad and I wish that there were more that humane people could do to fix this problem. Saying a prayer for all the kitties and puppies that have met that terrible fate. Screwy and Kim|:|
  • Skye LoweSkye Lowe Sqwee VilleMember Posts: 69
    edited 10 March, 2007
    i think SHE should be shoved in a dark room in a little cage where no one cares for her and she has no proper food. thats called PRISON.
  • Candy McCarthyCandy McCarthy SanfranciscoMember Posts: 292
    edited 1 June, 2007
    :rI agree with Toby, OOhhh if I get my claws on her :r Yeah they out to cram her into a tiny cage to lay in her own filfth. I hate her!:r
  • Lis CareyLis Carey Member Posts: 5,402
    edited 6 June, 2007
    Um. The subject line, "it's legal to abuse cats in CA" isn't even remotely supported by the news story. The city has aggressively used its administrative and law enforcement powers against her. Many cats have been seized. Having failed to shut her down completely or improve conditions in her shelter by those means, they're pursuing prosection. She's not locked up yet, but she's being forced to spend a lot of resources defending herself--and they took those cats, because those conditions aren't legal, and the only remaining issues are what the penalties are going to be and how effectively they can prevent her from starting over with new cats--because that's what hoarders do. Yes, shutting down hoarder and making them really, genuinely stop is very hard and can take a long time. No, the penalties aren't great enough. But "legal"? What's going on here is that courts require legal proof. That's so that no one can come along and say, "You have six cats--that's abuse!" and get your cats taken from you and you locked up without recourse.
  • Elizabeth WrightElizabeth Wright Member Posts: 129
    edited 3 July, 2007
    That's hoarding- the woman has some OCD issues. Speaking as someone with OCD, she can't completely be blamed, but still deserves some blame. I realise that washing my hands all the time is something that I should seek help for. Clearly she dosen't realise that being cruel to animals is something that requires treatment/punishment as well. But IMHO she needs more help than punishment.
  • osaka chanosaka chan Member Posts: 25
    edited 3 July, 2007
    the law should be changed so there are no loopholes and she should be forsed to live in a tinny rusty dirty cage and tortured until she dies.