URGENT! Cat abuse video on YouTube.com

Comments

• Kim LasaterKim Lasater Agoura HillsMember Posts: 8,709
    edited 22 March, 2007
    We could be the Pawavengers. :) I would just like to know the cat is removed. Telling us it is ok is not enough. How do we know that for a fact? Plus I really fear that Martial will hurt it more since all of this has happened. I just feel that he will blame the cat for this and not take responsibility for his actions. Just as they have acted like they can't be sure since they haven't seen teh video themselves I can't be sure the cat is ok just from their words alone. Just my thoughts.
  • Tony BlackwellTony Blackwell Cardiff, WalesMember Posts: 1,019
    edited 22 March, 2007
    I've just woken up here and caught up withwhat's going on. Mr D - please can you post a link to your video? I'd certainly like to see it. :) I agree that just because we don't have a video it doesn't mean that it didn't happen. Most crimes that happen aren't videoed. What happens then is that you rely on witnesses. Expecting us to supply the video and the address is, frankly, lazy in my opinion. So how about those of us who watched the video writing a statement of what we witnessed? The letter is a great idea and well written. I would point out there that several people here witness animal abuse taking place. We no longer have the video, but if we saw an animal being abused in the street, we wouldn't have a video either. I am perfectly prepared to write a witness statement and I'm more than happy for you to add my email address to your letter. I think that the email addresses of those who saw the video on the letter would be a useful addition. You might also want to include the petition to stress how outraged we all are about this. Sorry Bambi - I think it's not a good idea to phone the Davis' up claiming to be the ALF - especially after you have written about it here. That could backfire on you and they could (maybe) try charging you with harrassment. Much as I admire the ALF, I believe that it is regarded as an illegal organisation and some governments would even claim they carry out acts of terrorism. Saying you are a member might not be a good idea. We don't want them turning this around and accusing us of anything other than being concerned. I really do feel that the Media may be a good way to go with this and Oprah might indeed be interested. Setting up a special group is a great idea - but can we keep discussions about a possible name off this thread. This thread is already getting so long that it's difficult for anyone new coming to it to follow. Perhaps we could start a new thread about a name and what we hope to achieve. Leida.
  • Taylor Scobie HumphreyTaylor Scobie Humphrey hanging out around the houseMember Posts: 267
    edited 22 March, 2007
    Oh, my Lord, we are just shocked! We just came to this abuse video thread this evening and after reading everyones\' posts we have signed the petitions and we\'re now going to sack out and cogitate about this. We agree that child has no business being around animals! That cat MUST be surrendered! There is a direct corollary between animal abuse and human abuse and murder (hello, Jeffrey Dahmer, among many, many others). Heck out the Court TV websight. Check out all the abuse and murder just in the last week or so. They may have some excellent points we can make about this particular. Everyone has done such a fabulous job! One IMPORTANT statement I must make, however. That child will abuse that animal again, only NOW it won\'t be filmed. I believe he now has another heinous \"reason\" to abuse this animal: the cat \"got him in trouble!\" Look at all the stupid reasons men use to abuse their wives and kids! Most abuse is done in private: wives, children, animals, co-workers, etc. You name it!
  • Susan MavesSusan Maves MaconMember Posts: 6,697
    edited 22 March, 2007
    Let us know when the group is started!!! I like the idea of contacting Oprah, and maybe several of us could do that (not bombard her, but enough to let her know that it's a big issue). I was also considering contacting Nancy Grace.
    edited 22 March, 2007
    Oh, also, in contacting people/organizations, please don't forget to post the link to the petition so that they can see that 1)people are taking this very seriously, and 2)that this is a "double issue". Thanks everykitty!!!!
  • Margie WhitteckMargie Whitteck WilmingtonMember Posts: 2,079
    edited 22 March, 2007
    Mama just signed the petition and she was the 637th signature! C'mon kitties, we can get all 1,000 can't we?!
  • martha ciatteimartha ciattei Member Posts: 3,158
    edited 22 March, 2007
    i like hazel\'s idea: \"paws with a cause\":P
  • Michele AshleyMichele Ashley Chattanooga/HixsonMember Posts: 3,161
    edited 22 March, 2007
    I would write a letter also to the fact of what I saw in the video.
  • Anne RenaudAnne Renaud MontrealMember Posts: 31
    edited 22 March, 2007
    Thanks to a Catster Mom (Rachel's meowmy), our mommy found out about this. She just read most of the comments here and everything she feels has already been expressed. Of course, she signed the petition. Although she has not seen the video, she can only imagine. It would have haunted her just as all the stories of cats who have been abused in the past but found by loving Catsters, upset her for days e.g. Charity Ann, just to name one. YouTube already enraged her when the video of a cat meowing his head off was posted; the video itself did not depict abuse, but the comments were....people provided recipes on how to poison cats, calling them pests, bragging about how many they had shot to death, etc. Mommy wrote, complained, and as was the experience here, nothing happened on the YouTube front. Now she knows where to go to bring up this type of brutality. This new horrible incident serves to demonstrate the power of a community that not only loves, but also advocates for the protection of the innocent beings like the cat in the video (let's pray he's OK). We are proud to be Catsters! Thank you all for you actions undertaken, the teamwork was flawless and motivated by the love we have for our furrbabies. Like Lucky Boo's mom said, our mommy hugged us all along while reading this thread. All actions taken so far are right on (contacting the family, news media, PETA, etc.), and the idea of taking this to Oprah (if anyone is heard, she is) is a terrific idea. Preventing animal abuse and punishing those who are responsible for it (directly and indirectly) is something that should be discussed more often publicly. Let's hope this poor cat's sufferring will help save many others from the same fate. Love you all Catsters! We're not all meow; we will scratch and bite to protect the innocents if we have to. Ludwig and Cassius
  • debbie shortcakedebbie shortcake Member Posts: 136
    edited 22 March, 2007
    i agree, giving the details of what we saw in the video is a good idea. i don't know how many of you watched the entire video.....i had to stop when the kitty was being shaken in the air. i had seen enough at that point! wow! contacting oprah was a great idea Amelia! you are one smart cookie! =D>;c;;c; did anyone ever contact montel williams? i forgot who said that.... this forum is getting long.
    edited 22 March, 2007
    Yes - you're right about this thread getting too long. We need to summerise what has been said and start a new thread. New kitties coming to this thread are going to find it hard work reading all the way through it. Leida
  • debbie shortcakedebbie shortcake Member Posts: 136
    edited 22 March, 2007
    Bambi*** i don\'t suggest you say you are with the ALF. i don\'t know about kitties here, but i certainly do not want to be associated with any terroristic oranizations! i don\'t think the davis family would respond well to that. we have to be careful about what is said to them. who is the one mainly corrosponding with the davis family? is it Amelia? or S&S? i think that\'s good enough. they\'ve been doing a great job, so lets leave it to them.
  • martha ciatteimartha ciattei Member Posts: 3,158
    edited 22 March, 2007
    i think a good idea here would be to start a new thread, summarizing what has happened and what has been done and what we want to have happen and how we plan to get there. as for youtube, based on what ludwig has now said about violent comments being allowed to be posted, they need to be held responsible for that too. there are, sadly enough, enough sites for nothing but that, so leave youtube for everyone except the perverts. kids go there. i'm just sickened by all the violence the world seems to wallow in now... anyway, i'm going to be gone for the day, but when i come back 'll see what has transpired. thanks everyone, for the help and good spirit and ideas... |:|
  • Rita Anne ProvenzanoRita Anne Provenzano PhilapawMember Posts: 635
    edited 22 March, 2007
    I, too, like the letter. Might I suggest mentioning in it that you would take this issue to local/national news stations if there is no adequate response and/or actions from the above mentioned groups (SPCA, NYPD) etc. Trust me, the LAST thing these organizations would want is a NATION of animal lovers breathing down their necks because they didn't step up to the plate.
    edited 22 March, 2007
    Ok Kitties I'd like to suggest one or two things here. First off, I agree completely with Amelia that this thread has now become a mess and we need a new one. Therefore I'm going to work my way through it and record the salient facts - who said what and who has done what. Please give me some time to complete this and let me post a new thread about it once I've done it. Now - I think we need to try and take a small step backwards and give ourselves a little break here. If we don't we are all going to get depressed about it. There are no deadlines here and we can all afford to explore the fun side of Catster for a bit. OK =; Think of it like this. Martial Davis, the kid who did this, must be feeling pretty sick at the moment. he doesn't know what's going to happen to him. We've made him no promises and for all he knows he could end up in jail over this. He's getting a valuable lesson in cause and effect and serves him right - let him sweat! I'm darn sure that he's going to be leaving that poor cat alone for now. So give yourselves a break. We've all had a pretty traumatic time and we need to put things into perspective. Once I've completed the summary and posted the new thread, we can maybe see what direction to go. So let's leave this thread for the moment please. Go and look at Mr D's wonderful video using the link in the petition thread. Post a comment there and if you haven't signed the petition - do it now. Leida. |:| Hugs to you all.
  • pondusa bkpondusa bk TrondheimMember Posts: 12
    edited 22 March, 2007
    Me and mom are sitting infront of the computer now, and we tried to search for this video, but we didnt find it. Thars good. But we bouth are sad about things like this happends. Why do people get animal if they dont care and abuse them?! (mom is mad and sad now)
    edited 22 March, 2007
    Just to let you all know that after several hours I've finished taking rough notes. I'll type them all up and hopefully post it in a new thread later. Leida
  • Allyson SeachAllyson Seach EvansvilleMember Posts: 49
    edited 22 March, 2007
    For those who saw the video, please email or pmail me all the specific details that you can remember. I will put them all together, add a paragraph to my letter, and then repost it for all of you to see again. Anyone else with suggestions (taking it to the news, taking further action if they do not respond in a way that is acceptable to us, etc), message me with those too... this letter can be from all of us, and ALL of our worries and views and emotions can be expressed. :o) just message me with anything you would like to see brought up in the letter, and i'll get it in there.
  • Sveta SSveta S New yorkMember Posts: 31
    edited 22 March, 2007
    Is this thread closed?
  • Sveta SSveta S New yorkMember Posts: 31
    edited 22 March, 2007
    Is this thread closed?
    edited 22 March, 2007
    Hi Niki, no this thread is not closed. We are still going strong, working on this issue!!
    edited 22 March, 2007
    Hi all - I've just spent the last several hiurs compiling a summary of this thread. I think this thread has become to big and I intend to start a new one. I hope that is ok with everyone. Leida
  • Skye LoweSkye Lowe Sqwee VilleMember Posts: 69
    edited 22 March, 2007
    i didnt find the video, but i DID find this disgusting thing i read that a lot of cats used for disection are house cats and they found some with collars.
  • Allyson SeachAllyson Seach EvansvilleMember Posts: 49
    edited 22 March, 2007
    See...people are disgusting. And they wonder why cats are VERY PICKY and snooty when it comes to people...they're NOT STUPID! I wish I had a cat's intuition. And people make fun of me all the time because I put my cats on a leash if they go outside AT ALL. I caught my boyfriend getting ready to take Astro outside without his leash (and he's a big wimp anyways, he hides for the remainder of the day if our maintenence man stops by or if a male has a baseball hat on...especially the baseball hat thing...they creep him out), and I was very very mad about it. I get scared they'll get spooked by something, run frantically to find a place to hide, and get lost....or have something else happen to them (i cant even stomach mentioning examples). So I keep them on a leash and they are welcome to do whatever they want....but they are also protected. Maybe I'm paranoid, maybe I'm overprotective, and maybe I'm "too attached" or "too close" to them....but I dont CARE! I can't express how happy I am to be part of the catster community, where people like me who care and truly love their pets, and genuinely care and support each other are the NORM.That is the way ALL OF SOCIETY SHOULD BE. Thank you all for being so caring, supportive, and just simply incredible...ya'll keep my faith from jumping out the window!! :0) :o) I hope that video gets reported...I cant seem to get an youtube account to actually go through...i tried to open one so i could report these things, but its just not working for me at this point. I just can't even come close to understanding why people would tape such a thing, and WHY would they put it on display?? I'd be interested to hear the logic behind such STUPID, SENSELESS actions. Hopefully if enough prayers for these weirdos are offered...help and guidance will find them. I feel so helpless sometimes, and its hard to stay motivated when it seems like love is so overpowered by all the grief in the world. Maybe it's weird, and maybe i just care too much about other people (whether i know them or not), but things like this overwhelm me and I cry over them and really do FEEL sad for all people involved. I used to think I was just too emotional and that they didn't affect me so I should just get over it...but I never actually accomplish the 'getting over it' part. I guess being part of this community and being surrounded by so many genuinely good people has taught me that I'm not supposed to just turn my head and get over it....thats what everyone else does...thats why things don't change. I may be just one in millions, but I AM ONE...and with the right company I can make a difference... you all have made me feel really worthwhile. I just wanted to thank you for that, and for helping and supporting all of the efforts during this fight for justice and support regarding this video. For all that you all have done, and for all that you all are, and especially for all the ways you ALL have inspired me, thank you. *~Allyson~* (Astro Balzac & Phoebe jO's mommy)
    edited 23 March, 2007
    I know what you mean. I despare with the human race sometimes. I most certainly don't understand how anyone could knowingly be cruel to an animal - some people even seem to enjoy it. What we've seen is just the tip of an enormous iceburg of animal abuse and for every case that you help and every form of abuse you point out, there are thousands that continue and millions of animals suffering. It's important, I think, not to try to take on too much - as we simply can't cope with it all. You'll get buried if you tried to and you'd also get incredibly depressed. Try to focus on the fact that the majority of animals aren't abused. That the majority of pet owners love their pets. When you visit Catster, make sure you join in the fun and share the joy of pet ownership with friend here who understand. An individual can make a difference, but you have to stay focused on one thing at a time. Don't try to take the whole world on - it's bigger than you are and it will beat you. |:| *HUGS* to you all |:| Leida and dad (Tony)
  • Candy McCarthyCandy McCarthy SanfranciscoMember Posts: 292
    edited 23 March, 2007
    Don't worry everyone I won't call Guy Davis and tell him Im from Bite Back (ALF). But I must say they are not terrorists they are doing whatever it takes to rescue animals from extreme abuse and they are my personal favorites. But I respect you guys and I'll do what ever is needed. Iv'e all ready e-mailed everybody under the sun and called Peta and signed the petition. I don't care about a harrassment suite but I do care about you guys and the blue cat so I'll respect your advise. But I AM STILL ANGRY THIS TYPE OF ABUSE IS UNACCEPTABLE AND SHOULD BE STOPPED BY ANY MEANS NECESSARY!! Im sorry if I sound a little radical but I am an animal activist. I don't eat meat fish or eggs and Ive been like this for over 10 years. This stuff is nothing new to me I have fought many battles for animals. Im so sick of the horrible abuse Gods beautiful animals are enduring everyday by human beings. It's a horrible thing and quite traumatic for me. But like I said I'll do what ever you guys ask and I won't go over board, but it's hard. I love the blue cat, cats are my favorite.... You guys are great and have accomplished sooo much Id be proud to be in your group how about "Paws for Peace"! PUUUUUUURRRRRRs
    edited 23 March, 2007
    OMC, that video that Persephone posted the link to is gross. What about that is entertaining?!?!?!?!?
    edited 23 March, 2007
    For some reason I can't find the link to Mr. D's video on YouTube. DOes anyone have it?
    edited 23 March, 2007
    There's a link to it on the Petition Thread. Dad has been linking the video to his friends and Mr D is becoming quite a star. :D
    edited 23 March, 2007
    MR D's VIDEO Only three comments so far. We need a lot more than that. :( By the way - has everyone noticed that our own Amelia is Catster Cat of the Day? I've started a thread for her on the COTD forum - go and give her your best wishes. I'm sure she'll appreciate it. ;) leida.